[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4261 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:41 pm

Did the Courier Mail in Brisbane do anything like this?

No?. End of story.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4262 Post by rhino » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Ben wrote:Yes I agree with nearly all of it. I just don't like them reinforcing the negative stereotype Adelaide is boring. Nothing happens here etc etc.

Yes, I'm afraid we asked for that though, via that Advertiser article. Good to see them conceding a few points (e.g. the weather)
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#4263 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:00 pm

crawf wrote:Did the Courier Mail in Brisbane do anything like this?

No?. End of story.
So Courier Mail is the yardstick of all things acceptable for print?

Waewick

#4264 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Ben wrote:Yes I agree with nearly all of it. I just don't like them reinforcing the negative stereotype Adelaide is boring. Nothing happens here etc etc.
but is satire

The problem isn't with these articles, the problem clearly lie with peoples mentality when reading it.

Both articles are tounge in cheeck light hearted articles that do nothing else but raise the interest in both localities.

The type of people who would honestly take those articles on board when choosing a holiday desitination are likely not to be able to afford to take such holidays or not people you'd want here in the first place.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#4265 Post by spiller » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:46 pm

I think if whomever wrote the first piece on why Adelaide is supposedly better did so in the hope that Liverpool would respond, the bravo. It was clearly a very light hearted jab and the scousers have responded in brilliant fashion.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4266 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:49 am

I was at the game yesterday. I was in general admission and never seen it like that before. It was definitely oversold. There were no walkways as there were too many people. The security guards were unable to do anything because there was no where for the people to go. Lucky nothing happened as an evacuation would've been a disaster. Having people this packed and holding drinks also leads to fights which is what happened yesterday.

The fact is this redevelopment is too small it always was. I would like to know what the plans are for the ground given its already outdated in terms of capacity.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#4267 Post by SuperEgz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:20 am

Ben wrote:I was at the game yesterday. I was in general admission and never seen it like that before. It was definitely oversold. There were no walkways as there were too many people. The security guards were unable to do anything because there was no where for the people to go. Lucky nothing happened as an evacuation would've been a disaster. Having people this packed and holding drinks also leads to fights which is what happened yesterday.

The fact is this redevelopment is too small it always was. I would like to know what the plans are for the ground given its already outdated in terms of capacity.
I wonder how the occupational health and safety people reacted when they found out nearly 1000 more than capacity had been let in. Thousands outside watching it on big TVs too.

Nathan

#4268 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:36 am

Ben wrote:I was at the game yesterday. I was in general admission and never seen it like that before. It was definitely oversold. There were no walkways as there were too many people. The security guards were unable to do anything because there was no where for the people to go. Lucky nothing happened as an evacuation would've been a disaster. Having people this packed and holding drinks also leads to fights which is what happened yesterday.

Just because the odd game sells out (or oversells) doesn't mean it's under capacity. If you design and build to an absolute maximum, then congratulations, you have an Olympic stadium that will forever have empty seats. If it's reaching capacity every now and then, then it's probably about right.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4269 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:40 am

I have been unable to buy seats at a game since they have moved to Adelaide oval. The seats sell out straight away or are singular only or are right up the top of the western stand. I always can only get general admission. You would think the "hype" of the new oval has died down and this is the new norm therefore it's too small.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4270 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:15 am

Just like the trams really, built with too little capacity. I now agree with the people who want a Northern stand, I think the time has come to move on and just build it.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#4271 Post by SuperEgz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:46 am

Norman wrote:Just like the trams really, built with too little capacity. I now agree with the people who want a Northern stand, I think the time has come to move on and just build it.
Nah I love the scoreboard too much. A overflowingly packed stadium with that scoreboard is better than a 3/4 full stadium without it.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4272 Post by Pants » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Build a northern stand and what makes AO so special goes. It should never happen.

If/when the time comes, I would look at ways of expanding the western stand. If the capacity got around 58,000 it would be more than enough.

Being at capacity a few times a year does not necessitate new stands. Tickets being hard to come by makes memberships worth buying and the clubs money. If you could easily get a ticket for most games, people wouldn't commit to 11, knowing that they might not be able to make all of them.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4273 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Did I mention the grass is dead and it's literally a mud mound.

What I'd suggest is some sort of temporary grandstand for football season and return to grass for summer and cricket season.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4274 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:30 pm

Eventually a Northern Stand will be built, maybe in 10 years time or when Adelaide hosts a future Commonwealth Games.

It's inevitable.

- I can also see the Western Stand being rebuilt next decade.
Ben wrote:Did I mention the grass is dead and it's literally a mud mound.
Saw this on TV last week, looked atrocious.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4275 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Ben wrote:I have been unable to buy seats at a game since they have moved to Adelaide oval. The seats sell out straight away or are singular only or are right up the top of the western stand. I always can only get general admission. You would think the "hype" of the new oval has died down and this is the new norm therefore it's too small.
Seats are never sold to the public for the Western stands so not sure where you're trying to get tickets from.