[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4426 Post by skyliner » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:20 pm

monotonehell wrote:If you're about to post a comment about an EVENT at Adelaide Oval instead of DEVELOPMENT NEWS about Adelaide oval please go to the Adelaide Oval News and Events thread.
This section is for development news, not event news and reviews.
Thanks!
:applause:
My sincerest apologies Mono - I saw similar comments earlier in the thread and posted my comment. Where did the post go?

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CBD SKYLINE
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4427 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 pm

skyliner wrote:
monotonehell wrote:If you're about to post a comment about an EVENT at Adelaide Oval instead of DEVELOPMENT NEWS about Adelaide oval please go to the Adelaide Oval News and Events thread.
This section is for development news, not event news and reviews.
Thanks!
:applause:
My sincerest apologies Mono - I saw similar comments earlier in the thread and posted my comment. Where did the post go?

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CBD SKYLINE
To the thread that I linked above.
http://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/v ... 35#p151735
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

PeFe

#4428 Post by PeFe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:14 pm

More lighting to be added to the Adelaide Oval for concerts/events.

From The Advertiser
Adelaide Oval $9 million upgrade to sound and light equipment for sporting events and concerts

An artist's impression of the new-look Adelaide Oval after the multimillion-dollar upgrade.

ADELAIDE Oval’s management will spend $9 million to upgrade its light and sound capabilities, bringing it in line with some of the world’s best stadiums.

The Oval will install 220 LED lights on the leading edge of the Eastern, Riverbank and Western stands, plus another 248 full-colour LED lights in the stands.

New ribbon boards will be installed to run 360 degrees around the Oval, as well as on levels three and four of the eastern and Riverbank stands.

Adelaide Oval SMA chairman John Olsen said the work would be completed before the day/night Ashes Test in December.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... e77d00a55b

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4429 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:05 am

The level 1 LED signage around the western side should've been there from the outset. Nonetheless this is going to look pretty awesome when it's done.

The only improvement I could see here is they should extend the LED strips to level 3 of the western stand as well

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4430 Post by rockthenation » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am

Nice upgrade, but how's that Western Grandstand weather-proofing going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[Shuz]

#4431 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:51 am

And when are they going to plug the gaps between each of the stands with seating? It looks a bit weird at present.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4432 Post by rev » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm

[Shuz] wrote:And when are they going to plug the gaps between each of the stands with seating? It looks a bit weird at present.
Right around the time they build a northern stand to replace the morton bay figs

Llessur2002

#4433 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:59 pm

[Shuz] wrote:And when are they going to plug the gaps between each of the stands with seating? It looks a bit weird at present.
It's subjective I guess. I personally love the look of the three distinct stands. It helps to retain some of the original character of the ground whilst still providing a very respectable capacity.

As for the hypothetical northern stand, I'd be really sad to see the Hill go - it's a huge part of the unique character of the ground. Plus, watching the footy sitting down is boring... :wink:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4434 Post by crawf » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
It's subjective I guess. I personally love the look of the three distinct stands. It helps to retain some of the original character of the ground whilst still providing a very respectable capacity.

As for the hypothetical northern stand, I'd be really sad to see the Hill go - it's a huge part of the unique character of the ground. Plus, watching the footy sitting down is boring... :wink:
I know I'll be crucified for saying this, though I believe in 10 years we will see a proposal for a 'northern grandstand' especially if there is a serious bid for the Commonwealth Games. It's bound to happen one day.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4435 Post by how good is he » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 pm

If a Northern stand was ever built it wouldn't be easy and would probably need to be built around 1)The Northern Mound 2) the Moreton Bay Fig Trees and the 3) scoreboard as they are heritage listed [source wiki].

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#4436 Post by Pistol » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Yeah I'm with you Crawf.
I know a lot of you will come down on me like a ton of bricks here but I believe the SACA members were bullied into voting yes to the redevelopment.
I always thought that it was a staged approach:
Stage 1 - New member's stand. It was so big and completely different to the rest of the ground that if that was all that was built, Adelaide Oval would've been considered the ugly duckling of the cricket world
Stage 2 - Eastern and Riverbank stands
Stage 3 - Northern stand.

As HGIH said, the scoreboard itself is heritage listed. It can be moved and I would suggest it would be moved to AO #2.

I love AO and have grown to live with the upgrade (I voted 'no') but I would hate for them to get rid of the Northern mound.

Sadly, I feel the writing is on the wall and as Crawf suggests, it would take something like a bid for the Comm games to sway people's opinion.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Nathan

#4437 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Is there even a capacity issue that requires a northern stand? Surely on the off chance we would actually get something like the Comm Games, a temporary stand could be used. It's not uncommon for games venues to have elements which are intended only for the games, and are removed afterwards to revert to a lower capacity.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4438 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Nathan wrote:Is there even a capacity issue that requires a northern stand? Surely on the off chance we would actually get something like the Comm Games, a temporary stand could be used. It's not uncommon for games venues to have elements which are intended only for the games, and are removed afterwards to revert to a lower capacity.
Such as the temporary northern stand Metricon will have for the Commonwealth Games next year, and temporary seats proposed for the 2022 Soccer World Cup.

In terms of a capacity issue, no there's no issue at the moment. The Crows are the only tenant consistently selling out the ground now.

Nathan

#4439 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Nathan wrote:Is there even a capacity issue that requires a northern stand? Surely on the off chance we would actually get something like the Comm Games, a temporary stand could be used. It's not uncommon for games venues to have elements which are intended only for the games, and are removed afterwards to revert to a lower capacity.
Such as the temporary northern stand Metricon will have for the Commonwealth Games next year, and temporary seats proposed for the 2022 Soccer World Cup.

In terms of a capacity issue, no there's no issue at the moment. The Crows are the only tenant consistently selling out the ground now.
Indeed. I'm even thinking Stadium Australia which had a capacity of 115,000 for the Olympics, which was reduced to 82,500–83,500 afterwards (and due to be reduced further to 75,000). Or the London Aquatics Centre, which had two temporary wings to put capacity at 17,500, and were removed post games to reduce it down to 2,800.

ChillyPhilly

#4440 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Even then the Crows don't always sell it out.

I don't see any need for a northern stand. Sure, a Commonwealth Games argument may strengthen the case for it, but then what?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.