[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nowlistencarefully
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4396 Post by Nowlistencarefully » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Hopefully if they build something in the indicated position as per diagram that they can arrange fencing (adjustable if needed) so some of the amenities are available (particularly toilets) during near capacity events at Adelaide Oval. Some of the facilities under the members area (toilets etc) don't seem to cope too well with big crowds.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#4397 Post by Vee » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:04 am

Day/Night cricket:
Day/night, pink ball cricket, returns to Sheffield Shield after the Big Bash.
Another round of day/night cricket will be tested at three grounds, including Adelaide Oval, starting on Feb 14.

Timing is possibly not so great for Adelaide - that is the opening of the Fringe Festival weekend and the schedule is Sunday - Wednesday.

TV audiences (sponsors $) are the big winner for Cricket Australia and TV hosts. It will be interesting to see TV scheduling for the 3 games - at the AO, WACA and Gabba - on the same days but with time zone differences.

Fox Sports:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/dom ... 7645695842

AO new café on the Plaza:
And the AO café opened during the recent Test.
Nice addition.

During normal hours of operation, patrons can use the stadium toilets. But when events are on and fans have to queue, often for hours (eg SACA members and unreserved seat footy fans or casual visitors), these cannot be accessed while gates remain shut.

During the recent Test a portable loo (upmarket variety!) was brought in. Hopefully, this problem can be addressed when the Tennis Courts get redeveloped.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4398 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:48 am

The Pulse: Adelaide’s live news, weather and traffic blog

Adelaide Oval No. 2 will be expanded to host cricket, athletics and football events, with fifteen trees to be removed to make way for the development.

City councillors approved the planned development at a meeting last night.

The oval, which lies to the west of Adelaide Oval, is currently not up to international standard but under the plan will host state cricket, Redbacks Matador Cup games and athletics meets.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/the- ... 55fa5e16f0
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#4399 Post by fifty » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Nowlistencarefully wrote:Hopefully if they build something in the indicated position as per diagram that they can arrange fencing (adjustable if needed) so some of the amenities are available (particularly toilets) during near capacity events at Adelaide Oval. Some of the facilities under the members area (toilets etc) don't seem to cope too well with big crowds.
Sorry, where can I find this?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4400 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:20 pm

There would be design diagrams showing the proposed AO2 upgrade work. Council would not otherwise have approved. Anyone have access to them?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#4401 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Wayno wrote:There would be design diagrams showing the proposed AO2 upgrade work. Council would not otherwise have approved. Anyone have access to them?
I came here hoping to see a diagram/artists rendering too:)

Am I the only one who is surprised the ACC said yes? I mean there's 15 trees to be "ripped out" and yes I know SMA says they'll plant 25 replacement mature age trees, but we all know what that twit Gilfillan from the "Parklands No!" mob will concentrate on. :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4402 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Wayno wrote:There would be design diagrams showing the proposed AO2 upgrade work. Council would not otherwise have approved. Anyone have access to them?
I came here hoping to see a diagram/artists rendering too:)

Am I the only one who is surprised the ACC said yes? I mean there's 15 trees to be "ripped out" and yes I know SMA says they'll plant 25 replacement mature age trees, but we all know what that twit Gilfillan from the "Parklands No!" mob will concentrate on. :wallbash:
Don't jinx it! :wink:

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#4403 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:37 pm

"The ground would be extended west towards Montefiore Rd by 15m, forcing the razing of up to 15 parklands trees and the removal of a walking path." That walking path is the only pedestrian access from Jeffcott St to the Morphett St bridge and the west end (other than a shabby cow path along the side of the fairway on the opposite side of the road). On match days that pathway which they want to remove gets a lot of foot traffic, and regular use during other days. Hopefully they'll incorporate a new walking path and bike track in the design. It's also a bit weird that a stadium of 53,000 capacity has more than 25% of its circumference cut off from access/exit (western side). The new design should incorporate car/bus/taxi dropoff/pickup points and pedestrian entry/exit gates. Currently it's just a car park for the elites.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#4404 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:51 am

proposed lay out picture? anyone? Bueller, Bueller? Pretty Please :mrgreen:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#4405 Post by fifty » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:37 pm

Found it. No sign of running track or other infrastructure, so not sure what A$30m is buying, but here you go.

Apologies for quality. Capped it from here: http://dmzweb.adelaidecitycouncil.com/a ... _08SPP.pdf

upload gambar

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#4406 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:27 pm

thanks for that...
Gee, you'd think there'd be some sort of stand wouldn't you? I mean its going to be used mainly for Sheffield Shield Cricket, which requires a TV camera position and a place for the scorers to sit. as well as the batting team that is waiting for their turn to bat. I mentally pictured a grandstand like at Uni Oval #1.

Patrick_27

#4407 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Kasey771 wrote:thanks for that...
Gee, you'd think there'd be some sort of stand wouldn't you? I mean its going to be used mainly for Sheffield Shield Cricket, which requires a TV camera position and a place for the scorers to sit. as well as the batting team that is waiting for their turn to bat. I mentally pictured a grandstand like at Uni Oval #1.
Tell me, where would they fit a stand?

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#4408 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:thanks for that...
Tell me, where would they fit a stand?
Top left corner of that picture/fifty posted above:
http://blogs.abc.net.au/.a/6a00e0097e4e ... cb4970d-pi

It obviously cant be a flash one, but surely they need to put something there. Otherwise anybody playing there will be no better off than park cricketers.

ChillyPhilly

#4409 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:47 am

They're really pushing this for space. Is this project necessary?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4410 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:32 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:They're really pushing this for space. Is this project necessary?
Agreed.

Instead of cramming it into a small space between Montefiore Road and Adelaide Oval, wouldn't it be better to just upgrade the university oval (Park 12) east of King William Road?

:2cents: