[CAN] 2-20 Flinders St | 100m | 27lvls | Hotel & Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN] Re: APP: Pilgrim Ctr: 2-20 Flinders St 100m 27lvl Hotel/Offi

#91 Post by skyliner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:17 am

I think the height is 'reduced' - visually - by the wider section on the top sitting on a smaller section underneath - a smooth wall profile would enhance the illusion of more height.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

[Shuz]

#92 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 am

I think they purposedly made it look smaller, so to influence public opinion in favour of of the project. I know the saying goes don't judge a book (or render) by its cover, but people do it anyway - it's one thing to say a building is 100m tall, but it's another thing to show people that a building is 100m tall. It's not at all uncommon for architects to manipulate renders to serve this exact purpose in response to the community's attitude towards development. So one photoshops one's image to make it a bit smaller than it actually is - "claims" that it's 100m tall, and people are more likely to 'favour' it, simply because a misleading render showed them so.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by bm7500 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I think they purposedly made it look smaller, so to influence public opinion in favour of of the project. I know the saying goes don't judge a book (or render) by its cover, but people do it anyway - it's one thing to say a building is 100m tall, but it's another thing to show people that a building is 100m tall. It's not at all uncommon for architects to manipulate renders to serve this exact purpose in response to the community's attitude towards development. So one photoshops one's image to make it a bit smaller than it actually is - "claims" that it's 100m tall, and people are more likely to 'favour' it, simply because a misleading render showed them so.
What he said :)
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by spiller » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:29 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I think they purposedly made it look smaller, so to influence public opinion in favour of of the project. I know the saying goes don't judge a book (or render) by its cover, but people do it anyway - it's one thing to say a building is 100m tall, but it's another thing to show people that a building is 100m tall. It's not at all uncommon for architects to manipulate renders to serve this exact purpose in response to the community's attitude towards development. So one photoshops one's image to make it a bit smaller than it actually is - "claims" that it's 100m tall, and people are more likely to 'favour' it, simply because a misleading render showed them so.
and its so warped that in this city, we have to manipulate renders to make buildings look smaller in order for the community to embrace the project, when in many other parts of the world, it is in fact height that creates buzz and excitement. Such is the politics of our city.

Username
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#95 Post by Username » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Not sure if this has been posted.
LQ.jpg
LQ.jpg (617.4 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#96 Post by AtD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:28 pm

^ Cool. Where did you get it from?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#97 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Oh wow. I like it!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#98 Post by Will » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm

spiller wrote:
and its so warped that in this city, we have to manipulate renders to make buildings look smaller in order for the community to embrace the project, when in many other parts of the world, it is in fact height that creates buzz and excitement. Such is the politics of our city.
That is just the opinion of one person. It is not necessarily true. In fact there is no evidence to suggest that the people of Adelaide are against high-rise buildings. We should not always accept the negative regarding our city. The opinions of a couple of NIMBY's is not representative of the wider community.

Furthermore, regarding the image, when you compare it to the buildings in the background which are 73m and 65m respectively, this building is not out of proportion. Remember it is 100m tall, thus it was never going to tower excessively over its neighbouring buildings. In short, the image has NOT been docotored to make the proposal look smaller.

Ho Really

#99 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:32 pm

The latest rendering posted above just shows how well this tower correlates with its surroundings (the Church, the old Reserve Bank building across the street and the black facaded building next door). The 100 metre height also helps to accentuate the lines (and good design). If it was any shorter you'd lose it in one of Vic Square's corners. So there shouldn't be any complaints. There...

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Username
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#100 Post by Username » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Will wrote:
Furthermore, regarding the image, when you compare it to the buildings in the background which are 73m and 65m respectively, this building is not out of proportion. Remember it is 100m tall, thus it was never going to tower excessively over its neighbouring buildings. In short, the image has NOT been docotored to make the proposal look smaller.
Correct

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#101 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Found this render on architects website referred to as "18 on Flinders":

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: APP: 2-20 Flinders St | 100m | 27lvl | Hotel/Office

#102 Post by Ben » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:29 pm

From the latest Colliers market report:
Development approval has now been granted to
redevelop the site of the Flinders Street Church
and Pilgrim Centre into a mixed-use building. In
addition to hotel accommodation, the building
will incorporate approximately 17,448m² of
office space. Construction is expected to get
underway later this year.

bva
High Rise Poster!

#103 Post by bva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:53 pm

my doctor who is a tennant in the pilgrim centre is leaving asap as leases are not being renewed
a good sign?

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#104 Post by Thanial » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 pm

bva wrote:my doctor who is a tennant in the pilgrim centre is leaving asap as leases are not being renewed
a good sign?
Sorry just got to point it out that I was fairly sure you were writing a Doctor Who quote, the use of the words doctor who and tennant led to some serious initial confusion on this end. Don't hate me I'm british :lol:

As for the development that seems like a good thing, hopefully work begins on this one soon, will it have much prevalence on the skyline?

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#105 Post by spiller » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 pm

^^ a lot of prevelance from the south and perhaps east and west but not much from the north. It will be hidden by telstra house and the oracle building which are more or less the same height.