[VIS] Adelaide Concert Hall

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: #VIS: Adelaide Concert Hall

#16 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Goya's Line wrote:+1 on locating it between the research and convention centres (sorry skatekids). I walk to City West along Gray St just for the HMRI view these days... as a focal point these buildings should engage with side- streets and alleyways.

Also, f' yes! bring it on!
Given that it's Gehry, whatever he designs could probably double as a skate park anyway :wink:

ml69
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by ml69 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Nort wrote:
Tim wrote:on the old rah site would be a great location
Good location culturally being right next to Rundle Street, awful location for showing off a landmark piece of architecture though.
Agreed. That's why the area west of Morphett St bridge (on the Torrens riverfront) is ideal.

Next to riverbank precinct to take advantage of restaurants/cafes (the logical stage 2 extension of riverbank is west of the bridge anyway), and prime riverfront location for a landmark building.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:59 pm

The question has to be asked, do we really have the demand for a large concert hall?

Wouldn't it be better to do a major upgrade to the Festival Centre?, or just bulldoze the whole thing and start again fresh. As much as I love that building, it is in the best location for an ultimate landmark building.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Goya's Line » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 pm

So true Nathan... I was hoping for a Renzo Piano joke by now.

Omicron

#20 Post by Omicron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Frank Gehry is the Harry Seidler of America - rare moments of brilliance amongst a whole lot of the dubious photocopies (or in Gehry's case, melted copies).

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#21 Post by rev » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:33 pm

crawf wrote:
or just bulldoze the whole thing and start again fresh. As much as I love that building, it is in the best location for an ultimate landmark building.
That's not a half bad idea imo.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Goya's Line » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:12 am

The parklands seem a perfect environment for 'organic' architecture... imagine Lars Spuybroek filling in the spaces on West and Railway Terraces. I'd be happy with a pedestrian Gehry next to the HMRI.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Vee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:24 pm

The ABC 7.30 Report (SA) had a short segment tonight on the magnificent organ (affectionately known as 'the beast') located in the Festival Theatre - biggest organ in Adelaide.

The organ was built, with contributions from the public, to celebrate the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977? It is often packed away and out of sight.
View pic. and information.
http://www.ohta.org.au/organs/organs/Ad ... eatre.html

A suggestion was made during the program about possibly housing/relocating the organ in a new Concert Hall or another location where it would have a higher profile, greater use and perhaps inspire more interest in organ music.

I did not know this organ even existed. It's a crying shame that such a magnificent organ is shut away in the "world's largest cupboard"!

Omicron

#24 Post by Omicron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Well I'll be. Never knew that existed. A more prominent, permanent location would indeed be desirable.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

[VIS] #VIS: Adelaide Concert Hall

#25 Post by dsriggs » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:28 am

Vee wrote:The ABC 7.30 Report (SA) had a short segment tonight on the magnificent organ (affectionately known as 'the beast') located in the Festival Theatre - biggest organ in Adelaide.
Second biggest.

Ooh-err!

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by dbl96 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:31 pm

build it on the festival plaza, this is a completly unused space in a prime location, and it would allow the concert hall and festival theatre to be intergrated as one complex or entertainement area

Waewick

#27 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:55 am

call me old fashioned.

but when a community wants a civic centre, instead of just putting out a hand to the government, isn't it better to garner community support and start raising money for it independently?

sure - If the State Government was nice enough to say - hey raise $x by 2017 this allotment is yours and we may even chuck some money in.

but by raising money through campaigns you get that underlying commuity support which will see projects like this get up - rather than just sticking out the hand and white elephant being build that has no connection to the community.