[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #U/C: Rundle Convergence

#796 Post by Brando » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 pm

Managed to be in the city by chance to see this for the first time. It really is amazing. Have to say well done to the ACC on this one.
The amount of people stopping and cars slowing down was testament to it's success and difference.

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#797 Post by Adamo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Some image footage:

All images @ http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/eejolie/

For all others contact me :)

Some video footage:

@ this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTnPk0EteIM il video clip numero 1

@ this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KTHY3m9mNA numero 2

photos coming soon, but the video sums it all up.... bloody brilliant

much thanks to fusion and adelaide city council
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#798 Post by bm7500 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:08 am

Fitzy Jules & Lisa were plugging this on Nova this morning and encouraging everyone to go down for the street party!

Hopefully it ends up pulling a reasonable crowd :D
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #COM: Rundle Convergence

#799 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks Adam for the pics. Is anyone else heading down tonight? Will testing happen again tonight?

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#800 Post by skyliner » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:00 pm

A stunning display Adamo. Great pics. Really adds a new dimension to the CBD - light really impacts re dead or alive CBD IMO. Would have been better if all that car park was covered. Will be great near Plaza Hotel.

Pity there were not more active running neon displays around as well. I mentioned on another thread once before a great one we had for Peter Stuyvesant on SW corner of Morphett and Hindley (Ran about 10 shop fronts in length) Disppeared around 1975. Anyone know any more about this?

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#801 Post by Adamo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Watch the videos as they capture it much better! :)

The Rundle Lantern will display an hour of different rolling content.

So if you come on friday night and watch it for an hour, all the current artworks will be shown :)

It will then re-loop :)

The display will be turned on by the ACC at 8:15.02 apparently ha!

See everyone down there!
Rise Against

mcardlej
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#802 Post by mcardlej » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:43 am

So will this be the new place to be for New Year's Eve???

The countdown will be awesome!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Adelaide about to light up

#803 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:15 am

From The Messenger:
Adelaide about to light up
by Adam Todd
WOW: a sneak peek of the colourful lantern on the corner of Pulteney and Rundle.

ADELAIDE is about to light up with its very own take on New York’s Times Square.

The $2 million Rundle Lantern will be officially switched on for the first time tomorrow night (October 24).

The City Messenger snapped this preview of the lighting spectacular during a testing session on Monday night (October 20).

The digital canvas is a collection of 748 aluminium panels which have been attached to the face of the multi-level car park above Hungry Jack’s, on the corner of Rundle and Pulteney streets.

See the images in our exclusive photo gallery

Measuring 1066 sq m, the Rundle Lantern features 17,952 light emitting diodes which can illuminate 16 million different colours onto the panels.

The lantern can be programmed to display numbers, letters, geometric shapes and other designs and patterns.

The City Council is holding a launch party tomorrow night with music and entertainment.

Once it is officially switched on at 7.30pm, the Rundle Lantern will illuminate the East End from dusk to midnight every day of the year.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Adelaide about to light up

#804 Post by SRW » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:23 am

ADELAIDE is about to light up with its very own take on New York’s Times Square.
Could they stop with this already!

Oh, and thread title change? The convergence idea has fallen wayside. It's all about the Latern.
Keep Adelaide Weird

kernelpanic
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #COM: Rundle Lantern

#805 Post by kernelpanic » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:00 pm

A heads up to you creative types out there: the Lantern is going to be opened up for people to submit video and animation at a later date. No word on the format that will be required or when exactly this will be announced. I'm not supposed to know this, so please don't ask me for verification!

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: Adelaide about to light up

#806 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:29 pm

SRW wrote:
Could they stop with this already!

Oh, and thread title change? The convergence idea has fallen wayside. It's all about the Latern.
Yeah true, the comparisons with Times Square are a bit cheesy... Adelaide is on a very different scale to what's going on in New York.

Times Square has lots of video screens and advertisements (which when you see them all together, light up the area and are really impressive), but I don't remember seeing anything like this there - in many ways this is better than anything times square has because its not just an advertisement and its more creative and original.

So actually the comparisons with times square do not do Rundle Lantern justice... imho

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#807 Post by Adamo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:49 pm

Lets just hope that big companies like Mcdonalds don't get in contact with the ACC, and the ACC get brought into advertisements, because that is not what the lantern is about! -__-
Rise Against

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#808 Post by Omicron » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Most frustratingly, I've come down with some kind of fever. It had better pass by tomorrow's eve, or I shall become upset and trample puppies.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#809 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:42 pm

kernelpanic wrote:A heads up to you creative types out there: the Lantern is going to be opened up for people to submit video and animation at a later date. No word on the format that will be required or when exactly this will be announced. I'm not supposed to know this, so please don't ask me for verification!
If you're not supposed to know this, how come it was posted on here a number of weeks ago? ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

PlanThis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#810 Post by PlanThis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:51 pm

yeah i didnt think it was a secret?...but the interactive capabilities are pretty exciting though

weather forecast looks good for a warmish night at lauch - lets hope it goes off down there!