[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #COM: Rundle Lantern

#901 Post by skyliner » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Brando wrote:
bm7500 wrote:I flew home from Melbourne tonight and came in on the approach path that passes the city.

Rundle Lantern looks sensational from the air!!! I could clearly see the piano keys scene as we flew by

So not only does it look great from the ground, it looks even better from the air :D
Awesome news, thanks for confirming that. I asked the question a few pages back and no one was really too sure. Agree with Howie, we need photos from the air now.
GREAT PROMO FOR ADELAIDE. Can hardly wait to see it when next over there. Yes, Howie, we need air shots if possible (or a few floors up from nearby bldg.).Pity I can't do it from here, thus not much use to anyone in that regard.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Damien @ Fusion
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#902 Post by Damien @ Fusion » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 am

As mentioned earlier, here is the info about the upcoming event...

Adelaide City Council and Fusion Pty Ltd invite you to attend a free forum which explores the development and operations of the City's newest cultural canvas - The Rundle Lantern.

Please pass this flyer/email onto your networks of artists, animators, film makers, digital media enthusiasts, students and anyone who is interested in learning more about the Lantern and future opportunities to display work on it.

There will be a presentation by the creators and plenty of time for questions and discussion.

Rsvp's essential to [email protected]

Regards

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#903 Post by Howie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks Damien!

Solar power proposed for Lantern
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 416024.htm

Posted 4 hours 15 minutes ago
Rundle Street Lantern

The Adelaide City Council will look at using solar energy to power the Rundle Street Lantern. (Adelaide City Council)

The Adelaide City Council will look at using solar energy to power the Rundle Street Lantern.

The Lantern and the Central Market have been earmarked as locations for solar panels.

The council will allocate $200,000, but Lord Mayor Michael Harbison says the council will try to get funding from the Federal Government.

"Well presently we're buying renewable energy, in fact the Rundle Lantern uses very little energy because of its very innovative technology, really as much as three domestic stoves but even so we believe it's important that it's own electricity is generated on site through renewable means," he said.

"There's no doubt solar panel installations are expensive, I know the one that we put on top of the Grote Street car park for the Tindo solar bus cost around half a million dollars, so we expect the one on the Central Markets to be a very expensive exercise."
Second restaurant approved for Rundle Mall
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
Article from: The Advertiser

November 11, 2008 12:06pm

A NEW restaurant will be built in Rundle Mall early next year.

Adelaide City Council has approved construction of the new eatery at the Pulteney St end of the mall.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the new eatery was a key part of the Rundle Mall master plan.

"Patrons of the restaurant will not only get to enjoy an excellent view of Rundle Lantern, but they'll also get involved in the night life and atmosphere of Rundle Mall," he said.

Mr Harbison said the restaurant has not yet been named but suggested it could be called, "Lantern Cafe".

Construction is expected to begin in January and completed by March.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#904 Post by crawf » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Yes!! now that is what I wanna hear :D

Would be good to see Telstra Shop relocate and the space transformed into a restaurant/cafe

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#905 Post by Prince George » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:30 pm

As the article says, solar power is expensive. I'm interested to find out more about small-scale wind generators like this winner of Time magazine's best invention of 2006. The 12-foot blade diameter would be easy to hide on top of the carpark (less so on top of our house).

ghs

#906 Post by ghs » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Re: #U/C: Rundle Convergence
by ghs on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 pm

Getting back to Rundle Lantern apparently the plan is to put solar panels on top of the car
park and then run the lantern off the energy created by these panels.
This news on Solar energy is not anything new. As you can see above I reported this inside information about a month ago.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#907 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:11 am

Damien @ Fusion wrote:As mentioned earlier, here is the info about the upcoming event...

Adelaide City Council and Fusion Pty Ltd invite you to attend a free forum which explores the development and operations of the City's newest cultural canvas - The Rundle Lantern.

Please pass this flyer/email onto your networks of artists, animators, film makers, digital media enthusiasts, students and anyone who is interested in learning more about the Lantern and future opportunities to display work on it.

There will be a presentation by the creators and plenty of time for questions and discussion.

Rsvp's essential to [email protected]

Regards

I'm not a graphic designed and I don't mean to be picky or offensive, but surely a company that is in the multimedia industry could have made a more attractive poster. Just saying.

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#908 Post by Adamo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:51 am

love how they just stuck a picture of the lantern on the bottom left and you can see its hanging right on top of it, they couldn't even blur it in :P I only work with photoshop and i could do that.

But it does not matter. I would rather see fusion putting more resources into giving the public training on developing new graphics for this baby! awesome work!

Lets hope this will open opportunity for more of these display screens around adelaide. I would say we place one down the other end of the mall, near hindley street and rundle mall intersection, or perhaps further middle rundle mall. Rundle mall should be a next priority to make it more alive and safe at night time, especially with another restaurant coming our way next year.
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

Damien @ Fusion
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#909 Post by Damien @ Fusion » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:06 am

in regard to the last 2 posts ... Fusion DID NOT design the aforementioned event flyer.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#910 Post by Howie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks for that Damien. Anyhow, it's just a flyer.. it's purposeful, and i think some people are reading too much into it.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#911 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 am

Damien @ Fusion wrote:in regard to the last 2 posts ... Fusion DID NOT design the aforementioned event flyer.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't trying to be annoying, I just found it strange. Glad to know it wasn't done by you guys. Well done on the actual Lantern though!

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#912 Post by Adamo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:35 pm

likewise, this is an excellent concept to keep constant, updated and fresh content on Australias best art canvas! :)
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

Clr Yarwood
High Rise Poster!

#913 Post by Clr Yarwood » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:13 pm

So you know - ACC is putting in around $200K and for that we are hoping to get $400k via solar cities for solar panels - not a bad return on investment and it is the best location considering the roof is ready to go without need for additional structural work.
Councillor Stephen Yarwood
Candidate for Lord Mayor
Adelaide City Council

http://www.StephenYarwood.com

ghs

#914 Post by ghs » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:09 pm

I went to the seminar today.... it was pretty interesting. Apparently fusion are developing an online lantern simulator so that people can create there own animations and then run them on the simulator to get an idea of how there animations would actually look on the lantern.

They are also thinking about setting up some permanent speakers there so that the lantern will run with background music (as occurred on the launch night)There's also the possibility that the panels could be extended further on the pulteney street side. Apparently it's not possible to do this on the rundle street side because of the ventilation constraints.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#915 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:54 pm

ghs wrote:I went to the seminar today.... it was pretty interesting. Apparently fusion are developing an online lantern simulator so that people can create there own animations and then run them on the simulator to get an idea of how there animations would actually look on the lantern.

They are also thinking about setting up some permanent speakers there so that the lantern will run with background music (as occurred on the launch night)There's also the possibility that the panels could be extended further on the pulteney street side. Apparently it's not possible to do this on the rundle street side because of the ventilation constraints.
thanks for attending and sharing ghs, much appreciated...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.