[CAN] 87 - 93 Angas Street | 30-62m | 9-21 lvls | Residential | Palladio

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: Palladio-$130m Res - Angas St - 6 x Towers (16-19l

#31 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: Palladio-$130m Res - Angas St - 6 x Towers (16-19l

#32 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Here's the youtube link

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: PRO:Palladio-$130m Res-97-99 Angas St - 6xTowers (16-19l

#33 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Hansard record from Parliament today.

CITY OF ADELAIDE PLANNING

Mr SIBBONS (Mitchell) (14:27): My question is to the Minister for Planning. Can the minister update the house about whether this week's reform of Adelaide city planning has had any immediate effect on development in the city?

The Hon. J.R. RAU (Enfield—Deputy Premier, Attorney-General, Minister for Planning, Minister for Business Services and Consumers) (14:27): I thank the honourable member for his question. I was pleased to join with the Premier and the Lord Mayor the other day to announce the most significant change to city planning in Adelaide for a generation. I can advise the house that the DPA was gazetted yesterday, and on Tuesday we said that $500 million in immediate investment was ready to be unlocked.

Today—two days later—leading Adelaide architect Mr Paul Pruszinski and a Melbourne-based client have both welcomed the new regime and unveiled plans for a $130 million city apartment. Mr Pruszinski's project is likely to be among the first developments to be assessed under the new rules. His client's view of the new development regime is clear, and this is a direct quote by Palladio Managing Director, Bing Chen, from the release today:

The state government, and Planning minister John Rau in particular, should be applauded for its bold move to modernise—

Members interjecting:

The Hon. J.R. RAU: It's not me, it's somebody else; somebody else is saying it—

the planning system in the CBD. We were encouraged last year by the strategic direction the government had taken to attract more people to live in the CBD. As a result, we moved to Adelaide last year to focus on Palladio, which we believe offers the design quality the market demands.

But the good news doesn't end there.

Members interjecting:

The Hon. J.R. RAU: It doesn't end there; it gets better! It does get better.

Members interjecting:

The SPEAKER: Order!

The Hon. J.R. RAU: There's more. In fact, Madam Speaker—

Mr Pederick: You've got some steak knives, John?

The Hon. J.R. RAU: This is the steak knives, so hang on. In fact, since the gazettal of the Capital City DPA yesterday, I am very pleased to advice that the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure has appointed case managers to four new projects worth more than $300 million.

The projects include a boutique hotel and two mixed-use developments combining retail and residential components. Case management is one of the new processes that will streamline development here in Adelaide. Proponents of at least one project have agreed to go through the new pre-lodgement process, allowing planning and design to be addressed from the early concept stage. There can be no doubt that Adelaide is open for business. In—

Members interjecting:

The Hon. J.R. RAU: —one day this planning breakthrough has—

Members interjecting:

The Hon. J.R. RAU: —potentially unlocked more than $300 million in new investment—in just one day.

Members interjecting:

The SPEAKER: Order! The minister will finish in silence.

The Hon. J.R. RAU: In one day, $300 million.

An honourable member interjecting:

The Hon. J.R. RAU: I had an interjection over there, 'We're $200 million short.' I remind you, this is day 1. Give us a week. At this rate, by next week it will be $2.1 billion. I have no doubt that overseas investors are watching Adelaide's bold new development regime with great interest. This is a great week for Adelaide.

Members interjecting:

ml69
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by ml69 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Fantastic proposal! I like this one even better than the curvy Flinders street one.

Amazing to think that these height limit changes have increased the max building height for this site from 8 to 27 storeys!

Just hope it sees the light of day .... Adelaide deserves much better-designed and innovative apartments such as this which will help change public perception of high-rise apartments.
Last edited by ml69 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 pm

The city comes southwards! Can't wait to walk down an Angas Street that actually feels like somewhere.
Keep Adelaide Weird

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by phenom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Just noticed the colour similarities between these renders and the 123 Flinders Street proposal and I'm enjoying the synergy of one being curvy and the other being much more... um, square-edged or geometric.

Moreover the proposal I think is what we need (if it goes ahead) in that it's a real showcase for genuinely liveable apartments that owner-occupiers would actually be happy to live in rather than something ending up as an Oakes 'schoolies' hotel type thing or the often maligned 'student apartment' type developments (which I generally am OK with, but certainly you don't want too many of 'em).

I agree entirely with SRW - would be really awesome to be in that part of the city and still have it feel very much like 'central city'.

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by AdelaideAlive » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 pm

5751544,1298870828,Main.jpg
5751544,1298870828,Main.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 15230 times

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] PRO:Palladio-$130m Res-97-99 Angas St - 6xTowers (16-19lvls)

#38 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Great pic AdelaideAlive, though paul reckons you should move the line to princess street as the site is much larger than that.

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by AdelaideAlive » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 pm

thanks howie found it on this website must be from a while ago

http://www.realcommercial.com.au/proper ... de-5751544

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by Omicron » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Yes, I'll take that.
Importantly, the developer is not securing any more floor space by going above the previous height limit, compared to the floor space available in an eight-level building that occupied all the available site area.
In fact, Palladio is not as high as is possible under the new CBD planning regime, announced this week. The new height limit for the site is set by Federal Government aviation law at 27 levels.
And therein lies the marvellousness of the new planning laws - extra height to achieve better design outcomes. Previously this would have been a short box jammed full of tiny apartments, but instead we get a taller, more interesting, less blocky design with more spacious apartments. A much better result.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by Matt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 pm

:applause:

This looks fantastic.
Saw this one my phone this morning and was impressed, but 10 x more impressed after seeing the pictures at full size. This really is exciting.

kinnoda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#42 Post by kinnoda » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:19 am

I think we are definitely going to see a lot more CBD investment. I am hoping that the Government follows a similar approach along transit corridors (i.e. part of the structure plans).

However, we need to remember what makes Adelaide great, and it's not skyscrapers. Good design and strong community outcomes are important. I want to see street activation, with restaurants and some nightlife. Spread the shopping and cafe culture throughout the city. Encourage developers to integrate community facilities such as child care centres and library branches, in exchange for other concessions (i.e. less car parking). Affordable accomodation will also be important, to ensure we have a diverse mixture of people in the city.

The Government has opened the flood gate, now we have the room to drive other improvements. Major projects like this should be put on display (do not get confused with Public Notification) so the developers can voluntarily ask the community what they would like to see become of a site.

At the end of the day, if the community feel as if they have an input, it will keep all parties happy and keep votes in the Government's hands.
planningandurbandesignaus.tumblr.com

ml69
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by ml69 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:04 am

kinnoda wrote:I think we are definitely going to see a lot more CBD investment. I am hoping that the Government follows a similar approach along transit corridors (i.e. part of the structure plans).

However, we need to remember what makes Adelaide great, and it's not skyscrapers. Good design and strong community outcomes are important. I want to see street activation, with restaurants and some nightlife. Spread the shopping and cafe culture throughout the city. Encourage developers to integrate community facilities such as child care centres and library branches, in exchange for other concessions (i.e. less car parking). Affordable accomodation will also be important, to ensure we have a diverse mixture of people in the city.

The Government has opened the flood gate, now we have the room to drive other improvements. Major projects like this should be put on display (do not get confused with Public Notification) so the developers can voluntarily ask the community what they would like to see become of a site.

At the end of the day, if the community feel as if they have an input, it will keep all parties happy and keep votes in the Government's hands.
Spot on Kinnoda. If we are going to triple the CBD residential population we need to bear in mind we are building communities, not just buildings. So the ground level activation is all important.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#44 Post by ghs » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:44 am

I am not racist or anything but it's interesting to note that quite a few of the
current proposals / developments are backed by chinese developers.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Will » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:49 am

ghs wrote:I am not racist or anything but it's interesting to note that quite a few of the
current proposals / developments are backed by chinese developers.
How would making this observation make you racist?