News & Discussion: Adelaide Development Plan Amendment 2012

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: CBD Development: Planning / City Height Limits Overhaul

#241 Post by Howie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Paul Pruszinski has kindly cleared up a few misconceptions around OLS and Shielding.
Under the aviation act, there is a document called MOS139. Section 7.1 and 7.2 deal specifically with the issue of OLS (obsticle limitation surface) and Shielding. OLS is a concave space over the city determined by a series of different mathematical calculations determined around 1956, and any structure that penetrates it must be referred to Dotars (a division of CASA) for final approval. Buildings are permitted above the OLS where they are "shielded" by an existing building. Shielding is a cone at 10% emulating out and down from that structure. The graphic provided by the governement is showing that 10% cone from the cities tallest building. It isnt totally correct as other buildings already penetrate that cone, so they also form a shield (eg post office on Gouger st). Hence although we have unlimited hieght in a massive portion of the city, the hieght limitation is the higher of OLS or Shielding.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#242 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:37 pm

I think Westpac's days as Adelaide's tallest are numbered.

The OLS is almost higher than Westpac in a portion of the NE CBD where there is now unrestricted heights. Part of the document refers to the OLS being tied back to the Adelaide Airport ground level which is between 3m and 17m above sea level not CBD ground level.

The OLS is often breached and I think a breach above Westpac may still be approved by CASA. Not to mention PAN-OPS surface which is higher than OLS and is the real level CASA worries about. However it is amlmost impossible to find this level as it apparently changes often.

Basically a developer needs to test CASA.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#243 Post by phenom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Yep and if my memory serves correctly (it might not!) Westpac House (nee State Bank) was obviously built under the auspices of a State Government statutory authority and therefore had the full support and influence of the State Government of the time to get it built despite airport related height limits.

These current reforms suggest a pretty strong likely support from the current State Government for any kind of tower that would exceed the height of OLS/shielding limits particularly where the tower was already located in a 'maximum' height zone and the breach of OLS/shielding was semi-trivial (ie maybe 20m or 30m more) - which I think would hold some sway (whatever it might be) over CASA decision making.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#244 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 am

so any ideas of the announcement due today?

[Shuz]

#245 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:21 am

I'm hoping a new tallest, or something pretty bloody darn close to it!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#246 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 am

[Shuz] wrote:I'm hoping a new tallest, or something pretty bloody darn close to it!
I doubt it - why would the government announce that?

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#247 Post by Pants » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:49 am

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Check the Angas St. thread.

Waewick

#248 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:08 pm

so is that all 4 of the announcements?

[Shuz]

#249 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I think there's another one tomorrow...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#250 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Nope that's it for now. The last announcement is unlikely to be made.

Waewick

#251 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Howie wrote:Nope that's it for now. The last announcement is unlikely to be made.
well I guess we can be happy with that we got

out of interest was it an announcement by a government deaprtment or a private firm?

[Shuz]

#252 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Howie wrote:Nope that's it for now. The last announcement is unlikely to be made.
Why?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#253 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:26 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Why?
slated to happen later. patience grasshopper.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#254 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Howie wrote:Paul Pruszinski has kindly cleared up a few misconceptions around OLS and Shielding.
Under the aviation act, there is a document called MOS139. Section 7.1 and 7.2 deal specifically with the issue of OLS (obsticle limitation surface) and Shielding. OLS is a concave space over the city determined by a series of different mathematical calculations determined around 1956, and any structure that penetrates it must be referred to Dotars (a division of CASA) for final approval. Buildings are permitted above the OLS where they are "shielded" by an existing building. Shielding is a cone at 10% emulating out and down from that structure. The graphic provided by the governement is showing that 10% cone from the cities tallest building. It isnt totally correct as other buildings already penetrate that cone, so they also form a shield (eg post office on Gouger st). Hence although we have unlimited hieght in a massive portion of the city, the hieght limitation is the higher of OLS or Shielding.
It's EXCELLENT that the developer community now understands & can 'talk the talk'. To date developers only have tested ACC imposed limits. Now they can test aviation act limits!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#255 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 am

This is a good article that refers to Brisbane's new tallest proposal and Airport height issues:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busines ... 1n5hs.html

Apparently Brisbane's OLS is 120-140m, not that different to Adelaide, however Brisbane is at a lower elevation. Yet a 274m high building has been approved by CASA. The article discusses the lack of clear information available from CASA. This must be referring to the PAN OPS level, which is very unknown and seems to change at times?

Surely it's only a matter of time before a developer, especially with experience from interstate, proposes Adelaide's new tallest?