[CAN] Spire Living | 107m | 37lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

[CAN] Re: #APP: Spire Living | 107m | 37lvls | Residential

#766 Post by Shuz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:24 am

Dubai's the exception. And I will bet a bazillion dollars that place will turn into a colossal ghost-town of ridiculously tall, empty buildings and, well, what I'm about to say is already true - devoid of any human life at ground level. They've built something out of the fantasies and surreal dreams of their minds. Those dreams will never come true, because they fail to incorporate the conditions and realities of economics & ergonomics which are essential to the success and function of any place in the world.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#767 Post by skyliner » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Exactly Mono (from your first post on 2/8/09) - if you cant get the tenants, the rest nearly always falls in a heap - funny how people so easily miss the big picture!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#768 Post by Will » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:32 pm

There is also a small issue called the Global Credit Crisis. Some people do not seem to understand what the word global in GFC actually means. The slowdown in construction is not something isolated here in Adelaide. :roll:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#769 Post by Hooligan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Will wrote:There is also a small issue called the Global Credit Crisis. Some people do not seem to understand what the word global in GFC actually means. The slowdown in construction is not something isolated here in Adelaide. :roll:
And this credit crisis started 4 years ago when this project was first announced?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#770 Post by monotonehell » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:38 am

Hooligan wrote:
Will wrote:There is also a small issue called the Global Credit Crisis. Some people do not seem to understand what the word global in GFC actually means. The slowdown in construction is not something isolated here in Adelaide. :roll:
And this credit crisis started 4 years ago when this project was first announced?
That point wasn't regarding The Spire, which seems to be a special case of 'vapour ware' before the GCC. That point was directed at those who said that this project's history reflects the general situation in Adelaide generally. Which is tosh.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#771 Post by Will » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Hooligan wrote:
So you don't think that the GFC has not delayed this project?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#772 Post by Edgar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:11 am

I have no experience in this, but when you get customers to put their deposit in as part of the finance, what happens when it failed to go through (for some reasons like the developer file bankruptcy before the development has completed), would the customers get their money back or would they lose what they've put in?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#773 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:20 am

I'm going to assume that you guys are just trolling, because it's a simple equation with skyscrapers and you can't possibly be that ignorant of it:

If you can't find tenants, then you wont get finance, then it doesn't get built.

That's not "Adelaide". That's the reality in most places where investors would like to see a return on their investment.
I don't just mean skyscrapers (there aren't any in Adelaide anyway and probably never will be). I mean on every level Adelaide is all talk and no action. Every. Single. Level.

Prove me wrong children, prove me wrong.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#774 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 am

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:
I'm going to assume that you guys are just trolling, because it's a simple equation with skyscrapers and you can't possibly be that ignorant of it:

If you can't find tenants, then you wont get finance, then it doesn't get built.

That's not "Adelaide". That's the reality in most places where investors would like to see a return on their investment.
I don't just mean skyscrapers (there aren't any in Adelaide anyway and probably never will be). I mean on every level Adelaide is all talk and no action. Every. Single. Level.

Prove me wrong children, prove me wrong.
Definite troll.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#775 Post by Prince George » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:43 am

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:I don't just mean skyscrapers (there aren't any in Adelaide anyway and probably never will be). I mean on every level Adelaide is all talk and no action. Every. Single. Level. Prove me wrong children, prove me wrong.
Be the change you want to see in the world, rube, what exactly are you up to?

You know, the talk talk stuff isn't unique to Adelaide, it's been the case in every place that I've bothered to pay any attention to. Everywhere has a bunch of plans that don't come to fruition, that take far longer to start than they were supposed to, that radically changed along the way. As far as I can see, the amount of "action" that you see in a city is determined by how much money there is in the place, not by the people that live there, or their culture, or moral worth, or whatever.

Look at what's happening at the WTC site in New York - multiple competitions, Daniel Liebeskind ostensibly wins the last one, thanks to political forces in the city he largely loses control of the central tower to David Childs, a bunch of extra elements get added (Calatrava's subway station, for example) and all up eight years later they've completed just one of the towers and most have only broken ground in the last year or so. They hope it will actually be done in 2013. And this is in one of the most prominent locations of one of the wealthiest cities in the world, when the whole nation had very strong motivation to rebuild the site.

Or here in Seattle, we're one end of the coast-to-coast interstate I-90. But when it came to building the stage that crosses Lake Washington and actually connects Bellevue on the east to Seattle (the final stage of the whole road), it met a barrage of lawsuits in 1970 from the residents of one island that it was going to cross. That protest halted progress for twenty years, twenty years, of arguments in the paper and radio, debates in the councils and legislature, until they finally managed to get agreement in the early 90s. They built the bridge with the agreement that the residents on the island could use the carpool lane with only a single occupant. Now the plan to take light rail across the lake includes converting part of the bridge to transit, and guess who's upset?

Things happen in NYC because Donald Trump wants it to happen, or in Seattle because of Paul Allen, not because the people there are much different to people anywhere else.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#776 Post by Howie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:27 am

Thread cleaned and warnings issued. Let's keep this thread for actual updates.. there's probably thousand people subscribed to this thread. I think we should consider locking this thread and re-opening it when something happens on site.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#777 Post by Will » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:47 pm

A further 3 month time extension was granted on December 23.

DA/443/2005/A

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#778 Post by AtD » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:01 am

Does this thread still need to be locked?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#779 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:44 am

Probably not, i'll unlock it. :)

metro
Legendary Member!

#780 Post by metro » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Is anything happening on site, tower crane(s) being installed? if not somehow i doubt this will ever be built (look at the first page, 2005!)