News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2341 Post by AdelaideAlive » Thu May 16, 2013 4:23 pm

and just on another note , vote for your favourite building, well maybe if you hadnt planted 100 plane trees in front of them we actually might be able to see them and adore them i.e post office, :idea: parliament house and many other building down king william st and surrounding.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2342 Post by Nathan » Thu May 16, 2013 4:43 pm

As someone who actually has a view from my desk across the east parklands to Kent Town and to the hills, I can see the single apartment building in Kent Town. And you know what? My view of the hill is 90% blocked by... trees. Yes, the trees in the parklands immediately across the road block far far far more of the "hills view" than any amount of buildings do. What I'd value a lot more is seeing activity on both sides of the parklands, and thus activity in the parklands.

[Shuz]

#2343 Post by [Shuz] » Thu May 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Views of the hills? Now where have I heard that before. Oh, that's right, that was the thinking behind the redevelopment of Rundle Mall and clearing everything out from the centre of the mall.

The irony? The Brewery Apartments at Kent Town block this 'supposed' vista of the hills.

What an absolute joke.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2344 Post by Matt » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 pm

For the love of god.

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#2345 Post by Reb-L » Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Let the trees grow and build taller.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2346 Post by crawf » Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 pm

As a person who lives in the inner western suburbs, I find the views of the hills a pretty important part of the character of living here. So there should be no more CBD development and even possibly demolish a few.

Who cares if the Adelaide Hills are at least 500 metres high :)

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#2347 Post by Dvious » Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 pm

do you think tourists coming to Adelaide sit in the city and go wow, look at them hills, have never seen hills like that before.

Seriously, get over it.

This is the exact reason you lost your power.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2348 Post by AG » Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 am

At Tuesday’s council meeting Cr Natasha Malani agreed, saying: “A vibrant city won’t work if it’s surrounded by a concrete jungle.”
This is all I have to say:

Nathan

#2349 Post by Nathan » Fri May 17, 2013 8:30 am

AG wrote:This is all I have to say:
+1000

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2350 Post by SRW » Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 am

The likelihood of there ever being enough development around the city fringe to ever truly block the hills vista is so utterly remote to make the concern of it happening all the more frivolous. Next.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#2351 Post by Dvious » Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Exactly my thoughts.

We struggle to get any private funding into our CBD alone that is not government funded projects, and here are the ACC freaking out about loosing the precious views of the Hills, as if 50 ten story buildings are about to go up in just a few years.

Waewick

#2352 Post by Waewick » Fri May 17, 2013 2:29 pm

the views of the hills is one of the dumbest reasons to be anti-development I've seen since reading articles in the Eastern Courier.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2353 Post by david » Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Well I have obviously hit a nerve here.

Certainly not anti-development but anti over-development. A more consistent height of 5 or 6 storeys is what we are talking about rather than 10-12 storey sore thumbs such as the old Queen Vic. (Central Park notwithstanding!)

There was a concerted campaign some years ago to establish a Hills Face Zone which was to be devoid of buildings and that has been largely successful in preserving the Hills as seen from the plains, which many people think was worthwhile.

As for under-utilised Park Lands - this is another bone of contention. When you take into account all the numerous sporting activities that are located in the parks including the large areas taken over by private, profitable groups like of PAC, CBC and Pulteney, there isn't much left for just passive use, a place to escape, a place to get away from the sights and sounds of urban spaces. Th

This is what Light built into his city plan and what we need to preserve. Please, just let us have some plain open space with some longer vistas and yes, a view to the Hills!

David

Waewick

#2354 Post by Waewick » Fri May 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi David

I agree that views to hills are nice, and I don't think anyone would argue.

but what you are talking about (wall to wall development along those roads) is what 100-150 years away? maybe more?

comments such as you have made simply give credibility to the anti-development anti density crowd and drives sentiment towards unsustainable green-fields development.

What we need, is constructive and intelligent conversation, lets be realistic, the only viable developments in adelaide along the parklands will top out at 4 or 5 levels - what needs to be done, is rather than intimidate those advocating for medium/high level density is to embrace it and ensure that it is created in such a way that it compliments the parkland and hopefully is affordable to family's rather than the certain dog boxes (my favorite high density living is along Gilbert/Gilles Street which is more than family friendly.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#2355 Post by Goya's Line » Fri May 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Stick a fork in Unley, Burnside and Walkerville Councils and focus on the living end (dim the lights for West Terrace Cemetery). At least West Torrens, Charles Sturt and Prospect are on board for the Inner Metro. Growth Project.
Last edited by Goya's Line on Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.