News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3406 Post by Nathan » Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Is it a necessity that kids play football and cricket? Is it that important that we base housing development decisions on it? Besides, whilst ball sports aren't appropriate for the squares, it's trivial to get to the parklands from any part of the city.

ghs

#3407 Post by ghs » Wed May 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Mate, playing sport with my brother in the backyard are
Memories from my childhood which I ll never forget. Parents
Should do everything they can to encourage there kids to play
Outdoors rather then staying inside watching tv or playing computer games. It doesn't necessarily need to be cricket or footy.

Adelaidean
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3408 Post by Adelaidean » Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 pm

ghs wrote:Mate, playing sport with my brother in the backyard are
Outdoors rather then staying inside watching tv or playing computer games. It doesn't necessarily need to be cricket or footy.
Doesn't have to be in the backyard.

Why can't they have memories of playing sport in the parklands/ovals with their siblings or friends?

ghs

#3409 Post by ghs » Wed May 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Adelaidean wrote:

Why can't they have memories of playing sport in the parklands/ovals with their siblings or friends?
What if they live at kodo or uniting communities. It's a fair hike to get to the parklands.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3410 Post by Norman » Wed May 31, 2017 10:57 pm

ghs wrote:
Adelaidean wrote:

What if they live at kodo or uniting communities. It's a fair hike to get to the parklands.
Victoria Square. And yes, they play sport there, there are even boxes full of sporting equipment available for hire on site.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3411 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 am

You are no more than 10 minutes away from open space anywhere in the city. Your concern is misplaced.
Keep Adelaide Weird

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3412 Post by mshagg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:28 am

It's a common complaint, but frankly seems grounded in a very old fashioned way of thinking. There are hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people in the world which live in high density environments and utlise public space for recreation. Ironically its our children with their own private cricket pitches that are more likely to be obese.

Is there not a benefit to having mum and/or dad at home 10 minutes after knocking off of work? Most people I know would rather be spending time with their family than sitting in gridlock.

Of course a part of that is also making the city more amenable to people, which typically comes at the expense of motorists... and we all know how well that goes down.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3413 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 am

ghs wrote:When was the last time you saw kids playing
Cricket in hindmarsh square ? Hardly an ideal location. If the batsmen hits the ball onto grenfell street during peak hour is that 4 runs ?
4 runs for Grenfell St, 6 runs for Pirie St :lol:

[Shuz]

#3414 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:24 am

12 runs if you smash a window.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#3415 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:46 am

Just no drives, otherwise you might get caught out trying to find a park.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3416 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:39 pm

ghs wrote: if you're living at Realm in a couple of years with two sons, where are they meant to play cricket or footy after
school ?

In Rundle Mall ??? Hindley street ?

Houses are a lot more suitable for kids where they can play games in the backyard, mate.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3417 Post by rev » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:48 pm

ghs wrote:Furthermore if you're living at Realm in a couple of years with two sons, where are they meant to play cricket or footy after
school ?

In Rundle Mall ??? Hindley street ?

Houses are a lot more suitable for kids where they can play games in the backyard, mate.
Have you seen the size of backyards in modern homes these days? If you can have a cricket match successfully in a tiny backyard, then good luck to you.
But do you know why every new housing development features a big wide open space called a park/reserve? Because our homes have tiny back yards now. Our homes are bigger, and the blocks are smaller. There's no room for backyard cricket.

Have you also stopped to think that perhaps that major segment of the market that is being targeted by these apartment developments, isn't young families with two young kids?
And like others have said, the parklands are a stones throw away.
On top of that, if a young family was to move in to Kodo, their kids could take up an actual sport. That would involve them having to go to training at least once or twice a week, and actively playing that sport on the weekends. They would also be active in school sports during the week, and possibly on weekends as well(I was, and I had a really big back yard).

These are minor issues that can just as easily be faced, and easily over come, by a young family living in a suburban 3-4 bedroom house with a double garage. In fact, the "lifestyle" of kids, outdoors sports and outdoor activities as opposed to sitting inside playing video games, is an issue in our society already, and obviously the majority of South Australian's live in detached dwellings not apartments.

ghs

#3418 Post by ghs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:00 pm

rev wrote: Have you also stopped to think that perhaps that major segment of the market that is being targeted by these apartment developments, isn't young families with two young kids?
This whole argument started with one user saying that there should be more 3 bedroom apartments in the city and I've argued
that families are better off in the suburbs.

We're living in Adelaide not New York City. There's plenty of open spaces in the suburbs which are ideal for families.

Why do you think that expensive apartment developments like Palladium on Light and Parkland Vista haven't gone ahead ???

Quite simply, for $600,000 you can get a pretty good house in the suburbs which provide more comfort and a garden and a backyard
which are ideal for children and entertaining visitors on the weekend.

Llessur2002

#3419 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:25 pm

And the ACC continues to move towards being a parody of themselves...
Vibrancy showdown looms over midnight Vic Square curfew

A showdown over the future of Adelaide’s late night vibrancy agenda is looming, with a proposal to shut down Victoria Square at midnight coming before the city council tonight. One councillor wants the 12am curfew to apply to all park lands events, while another warns a “small-town mentality” risks killing the CBD’s late night economy.

The council’s administration has recommended changing the closing time for weekend events in Victoria Square from 2am to midnight.

The change would affect the council’s event management guidelines, but event organisers would still be able to apply to the council for an exemption.

However, north ward councillor Phil Martin told InDaily he would like to see the council go further and introduce a midnight curfew for all park lands events and venues.

“I’d like to see curfews on all of them,” he said.

“We want to create a vibrant, active city (… but) we want to double our city population.

“I don’t know how to achieve that balance without adopting what are acceptable limits on noise.”

Martin, who also told InDaily he is always in bed before 11pm, said past events in the city’s central square had been allowed to operate too late.

“I think that Victoria Square is a perfect location for events – however, we have in the past allowed excessive trading hours (there),” he said.

“There are apartment buildings in close proximity (to) Victoria Square.”

He added that: “There are lots of locations where it’s possible to be entertained to 2am or until 5am.”

But central ward councillor David Slama said the midnight curfew was an idea more suited to a small town than a capital city.

He said the proposal reflected a “small-town mentality”.

“It sends a message to the late night economy, (which) we’re working so hard to get going … that we don’t want a vibrancy agenda in the evenings,” he told InDaily this morning.

“(It) is the sort of thing I’d expect in Hahndorf … but this is a capital city.”

He added that the council risks “squeezing out … vibrancy and culture” from the city.

“The spirit of excitement is vanishing before my eyes, the way I see it, in the city.”

Adelaide Fringe Festival CEO Heather Croall told InDaily: “What we’ve seen in the past has been fabulous activations in Victoria Square that did go later than midnight … and a lot of people seemed to enjoy them.”

“I think it’s great to see Victoria Square used, that’s the main thing,” she said.

“Even if they (the council) do put these rules in place, I’d like to see Victoria Square used more often all year round.”

Music SA General Manager Lisa Bishop said Victoria Square was an ideal venue for family-friendly events in the day time as well as events for young adults at night.

“We shouldn’t be shutting down the opportunity for young people to enjoy music (in Victoria Square) late into the night,” she said.

A spokesperson for the council’s administration told InDaily “the changes to the permissible operating hours in Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga are in response to feedback from council and surrounding stakeholders over the past 12 months”.

“If an event organiser expressed a desire to stay open slightly longer than the prescribed operating hours, this would be assessed on merit and in consultation with adjacent businesses and hotels.”

Central ward councillor Houssam Abiad said he would advocate a 10pm curfew for all park lands events – though he emphasised venues would still be able to apply to the council to operate later into the evening and early morning.

He it was unfair to patrons of the Hilton Hotel, on the Western edge of Victoria Square, to have loud music played late at night.

“It’s a bit unfair (…to) hear music and noise outside your bedrooms,” he said.

“That’s why Victoria Square is different from other areas of the park lands.

“(However) in the case of the Fringe, or a special event … it gets assessed on merit.”

South ward councillor Priscilla Corbell told InDaily she lives within earshot of Victoria Square, and that with more residential development coming to the centre of the city it was important to consider the needs of people who are trying to get to sleep.

“I can hear them (Victoria Square events) when I’m trying to go to sleep at night,” she said.

Corbell said many late-night venues were available within walking distance of Victoria Square.

“There are … plenty of late night venues along Hindley Street, Rundle Street … (as well as) 2KW and Electra House,” she said.

“There are plenty of fun places for young people to go.”

The city council has, in years-past, locked horns with late-night venue the Royal Croquet Club, which subsequently moved from Victoria Square to Pinky Flat.

In 2015, the council imposed a ban on music after midnight at the popular Fringe venue.
From: http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2017/0 ... re-curfew/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3420 Post by rev » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:05 pm

If the ACC wants to continue with this small, country town mentality, the state government should either 1) Strip them of all powers bar garbage collection and sweeping the streets(and even then that might be too much responsibility for the), or 2) create a true satellite CBD at Port Adelaide, allowing for night life well into the early hours of the morning and also moving all government departments out of the Adelaide CBD and into Port Adelaide.
“There are apartment buildings in close proximity (to) Victoria Square.”
If buildings are properly insulated, then the doof doof from clubs and events isn't a factor. The doof doof from HQ for example could not be heard inside the nRAH for example.

How about the people living in the east end, there's several clubs there..maybe this councillor wants to shut down Rundle Street or restrict their trading hours to 9pm...you know, people living nearby...can't sleep...poor souls..moved into a cbd location next to a night life spot and discovered loud noise...want peace and quiet? It's called suburbia. Pack your shit and move.
I've been up in the Grand Chancellor on Hindley Street....Hindley Street....and you know, didn't hear a bar of noise from the mess on Hindley Street....not once.