News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: [] News: Adelaide City Council

#706 Post by AtD » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Also a few years back a shop assistant in the shoe department of Myer was shot in front of other staff and customers by a disgruntled ex-lover, after a domestic the night before.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Man ... 13016.html

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#707 Post by aceman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:34 pm

If I remember correctly didn't someone commit suicide off the renaissance tower sometime during the early 90s?

I can't really remember what the circumstances were behind it.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#708 Post by Howie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:19 pm

aceman wrote:If I remember correctly didn't someone commit suicide off the renaissance tower sometime during the early 90s?

I can't really remember what the circumstances were behind it.
Yes that man I was talking about a page back.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#709 Post by Omicron » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:45 am

If I spent more than ten minutes in the Myer Centre or the SA-RenCen, I'd probably jump off, too.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#710 Post by Shuz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 am

Omicron wrote:If I spent more than ten minutes in the Myer Centre or the SA-RenCen, I'd probably jump off, too.
Now, now, Omi. We need your jumping elephant for a bit of entertainment in our daily lives while we forum. :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#711 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:19 am

I used to work in DSE in the Myer Centre and was present for all of these suicides. There were only two that I remember. DSE used to be where the pet shop is now and so was very close to the impact site. It's not a nice sound.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Clr Yarwood
High Rise Poster!

#712 Post by Clr Yarwood » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Greetings all and a happy new year to you.

Apologies I have not been active of late on SA, becoming Deputy Lord Mayor has meant I am in significantly more demand with many ceremonial duties to be undertaken as well as more emails and phone calls from constituents.

On a personal note I have been:

• Planning my own consultancy (having already begun getting work);
• Spending some much needed time with teenage daughter;
• “Nesting” with my pregnant wife due in April; and
• Have knocked off a MBA summer school subject – Managing Contemporary Organisations where I have studied the culture of ACC and analysed the processes of change underway as a result of a new council and CEO.

I write with news regarding your submission to the Development Plan Review (Section 30 Development Act requirement every 3 years).

The Development Plan Review was considered by Council in the City Strategy committee on Tuesday evening – the priorities set out by council are (in order):

1. Sustainability/green buildings;
2. Heritage/character in City South; and then
3. Population (including building heights).

What does this means in reality? It is both good and bad news…the good news is reviewing building heights is definitely on the cards, the bad news is it will not be tackled until 2010 – most probably by the next council.

It is pretty much “locked in” for review; but not immediately. That said, the reality is that there is substantial development opportunity in the city yet unrealised and that in the current economic climate very tall buildings are unlikely.

The current Development Plan is also flexible enough that there is potential for developers to explore the boundaries as it.

The political reality is this is the best that could be achieved by those that are passionate about pushing for greater development and population in the city. It actually makes sense that we await the outcomes of work being undertaken by the State government for Metro Adelaide and the west end of the city – as well as the 3D planning about to commence.

We will get there!

The specific recommendation was:

3. Undertake a Population Capacity/ Housing Diversity Development Plan Amendment to implement recommendations 3(a) – (d).

3(a) Consider population capacity policies (such as building height) in key locations, such as east and west of the CBD, along the Terraces (South and West Terrace) and around the Squares (Victoria, Light and Hindmarsh Squares). Use the 3d Model to evaluate options for height and impact.

3(b) Review set-back provisions in the Central Business Area and Mixed Use Zones.

3(c) Provide greater design guidance and further encourage housing diversity and adaptability, including considering compact housing forms for people at a variety of stages of life.

3(d) Further encourage affordable housing including investigating the Department of Planning and Local Government Guide for Affordable Housing in Development Plans and the affordable housing modules of the Better Development Plan Library.

I want to thank those that put in their own time and effort and suggest you access the agenda item @:

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/Netc ... _27CSC.pdf

I look forward to some comments on this posting and wish you all the best for 2009.
Councillor Stephen Yarwood
Candidate for Lord Mayor
Adelaide City Council

http://www.StephenYarwood.com

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#713 Post by Howie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 pm

G'day Stephen, happy NY to you too! Sounds like busy exciting times ahead for you.
Clr Yarwood wrote: What does this means in reality? It is both good and bad news…the good news is reviewing building heights is definitely on the cards, the bad news is it will not be tackled until 2010 – most probably by the next council.
The political reality is this is the best that could be achieved by those that are passionate about pushing for greater development and population in the city. It actually makes sense that we await the outcomes of work being undertaken by the State government for Metro Adelaide and the west end of the city – as well as the 3D planning about to commence.

We will get there!
Does make sense that we wait for the state government to finish the work they're doing with the development plan review (especially their work around TOD's) and what's happening with Bowden. Although given the complexity of the 3D model soon to be developed at the city council, how likely is it that the model will be complete by 2010? My understanding is that the 3D model will be a fully detailed model cad model that'll link into various planning sources and allow planners to all work on this model simultaneously. Can we offer a simplified 3D sketchup overview of the cbd for the purposes of helping speed up this review? Just throwing that out there.

Cheers

Howie

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#714 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks Stephen :)

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#715 Post by mattblack » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:39 pm

News about Hindley Streey closure trial.

Temporary Hindley Street closure to boost pedestrian safety

Print this Page
Released: 27 Jan 2009 [12.00am] Send to a Friend

trial four-week closure of part of Hindley Street on Saturday nights will get underway next month to help improve pedestrian safety.
At its meeting tonight, the Adelaide City Council approved the closure of Hindley Street on Saturday nights – between Morphett and Rosina Streets – to create a pedestrian mall environment.

The area will be closed from 10pm on the Saturday nights until 6am on the Sunday mornings on February 7-8; 14-15; 21-22 and February 28-March 1.

“Council has a keen interest in enhancing the West End precinct and has undertaken a number of significant initiatives in the area to ensure its ongoing vibrancy and safety,” said Lord Mayor Michael Harbison.

“The West End is the city’s premier entertainment nightlife district and with these closures, it will allow people more freedom of movement to enjoy themselves.”

The trial was proposed by the Capital City Safety Strategy Group (CCSSG), which includes representatives from the South Australia Police, the Office of Liquor and Gambling Commissioner and the Adelaide City Council.

“Research from the CCSSG flagged a need to tackle pedestrian congestion in Hindley Street and the trial of the temporary closure will help alleviate this,” said the Lord Mayor.

Extensive consultation has been conducted regarding the trial with key stakeholders including Hindley Street property owners, business operators, residents, the Adelaide West End Association, South Australia Police, Taxi Council of South Australia, emergency services and the Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure.

Emergency services and Council vehicles will continue to have access to the street during the four-week trial.

Council will also evaluate the trial to assess issues including safety, costs, traffic management and visitation as well as the viability of any future closures.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#716 Post by SRW » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 pm

It's a good idea. They should also, I think, remove car parking from that strip and extend the footpath.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#717 Post by Prince George » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:42 pm

In the early nineties there was a plan floating around to revamp Hindley street, removing parking, reducing the traffic space, adding pedestrian space. That plan got as far as the ears of Con Polites. His stated reasoning for deep six-ing it was things like "you can't get rid of the taxi ranks" - obviously things like that could have been addressed within the context of that plan, so I'm left thinking that his problem with the plan was that it didn't originate from him.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#718 Post by Shuz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:35 pm

I think it should become a mall.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#719 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:52 pm

Shuz wrote:I think it should become a mall.
and it should be one long mall from East Tce through to Morphett St...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#720 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:21 pm

latest newsletter from Clr Plumridge.
NOTES__FROM_COUNCILLOR_Issue_19.pdf
(81.57 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
* He praises the recent TDU event
* The Clr's dislike for the Clipsal 500 continues (comments about noise, impact on parklands, cost, disruption to other parklands events, etc).
* Some comments about "peak oil"
* Council has asked the Fed Govt for some infrastructure cash (~$150k) to fix the Sth Tce pedestrian overpass bridge & the Womens Soccer clubrooms in the parklands (off Hutt St)
* The annual "Carnevale" event has moved to Wayville showgrounds (apparently the fault of clipsal 500 race)
* Trial closure of Hindley St on saturday nights
* 5 priorities came out of the "Section 30 Development Plan Review". In descending order of priority here's the 5 areas requiring DP Amendment reports:
  • 1) Sustainability
    2) South Adelaide Character/Heritage
    3) Population Capacity/Housing Diversity
    4) Better Development Plan
    5) Park Lands
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.