News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
iTouch
Legendary Member!

Re: News: Adelaide City Council

#1471 Post by iTouch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Clr Yarwood wrote:Hi All,
Find a link to a blog about cycling in Adelaide and Copenhagen http://bit.ly/dgXake
Also a must see video that will blow you away! http://bit.ly/bnK64p
Finally the article in Today’s advertiser… http://bit.ly/8YZp7r
Enjoy – feedback welcome!
"Buckets'o'kids" lol Brilliant stuff. I stopped riding my bike when I moved out of Adelaide up to the NE suburbs, there's just no where to ride where cars are trying to left turn through you out here. (want to move back to Adelaide, the quality of life is so much better)

Re-sharing your Facebook post...
Hey... The NE burbs aren't that bad :)
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1472 Post by monotonehell » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:55 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:Hey... The NE burbs aren't that bad :)
They are okay. But having lived in Adelaide (around Hutt street) and out here, I can safely say that it's better in Adelaide. I swear people don't look left when they turn left, they only look right.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

david
High Rise Poster!

#1473 Post by david » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Councillor David Plumridge's Notes - Issue 53
- The 'Pros and Cons' of Consultation.
- Towards a City Strategy.
- Development Assessment Panel decisions.
- Core Committee and Council decisions.
Notes from Councillor Issue 53.doc.pdf
(125.63 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1474 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi David, a few comments...

You raise a good point here:
I believe that the new Council to be elected in November should review its Consultation Policy. Perhaps Council should set up an Office of Consultation, independent of the administration, to deal with all aspects of public consultation thus improving the efficiency, transparency and effectiveness of public involvement.
This was also good to read:
(Item 3.1) Development Plan Consent was granted for internal and external alterations and change of use to residential accommodation to provide 6 apartments on 2 levels at 6A-8 Rundle Mall (DA/622/2009). This is an interesting alteration which will activate the upper floors above a Rundle Mall shop, a change of use which Council is keen to encourage.
7+% return on investment here (even higher as electricity prices rise), as well as reduced environmental footprint - good one!
(Item 3.1) It was recommended to Council that the Go Green with Public Lighting Implementation Plan be noted and that Stage I LED lighting roll-out in 2010/11 proceed at a cost of $700k. This will cover approx. 10% of Council’s street lights and will be funded from the Council’s 1% ‘rates levy’ $1.3m Climate Change Action Plan fund. Public lighting is a major contributor to carbon emissions and this project will reduce those emissions by 50% which is equal to an estimated 1300 tonnes per year with annual energy savings of $50k at today’s prices.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1475 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Very interesting.
The other problem with public consultation is that it sets up expectations that well prepared and presented submissions will actually be effective.
Not just because of the ineffectiveness of submissions, as you say, but because of their susceptibility to be captured by highly motivated but perhaps unrepresentative groups, would some sort of poll be better? Or would polling by issue make a mockery of electing councillors as representatives, duplicating their role?

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#1476 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Adaptive reuse of upper floors in Rundle Street is very encouraging.

What can be done about attracting more use of upper floors in areas like Rundle Mall and Hindley Street precincts?

There is a lot of well located vacant upper floor area around the town.

The principal issues seem to be fire regulations and disabled access, with timber floors and stairs, lack of isolated stairways, poor and inequitable disabled access stopping the areas from being used, especially overnight.

With the development of cheaper, highly reliable fire warning and control systems, along with cheaper lifts, isn't it time the rules were reconsidered?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1477 Post by monotonehell » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:59 am

stumpjumper wrote:Very interesting.
The other problem with public consultation is that it sets up expectations that well prepared and presented submissions will actually be effective.
Not just because of the ineffectiveness of submissions, as you say, but because of their susceptibility to be captured by highly motivated but perhaps unrepresentative groups, would some sort of poll be better? Or would polling by issue make a mockery of electing councillors as representatives, duplicating their role?
In cases like these a persuasive rational argument backed with good evidence should always 'win' over a load of votes. Votes are not arguments. The only problem is that often the loudest voice is often mistaken for the best argument.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1478 Post by AtD » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:29 am

I want one of those Rundle Mall apartments. :(

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1479 Post by Wayno » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:15 am

AtD wrote:I want one of those Rundle Mall apartments. :(
i've got some spare furniture. Let's do a deal - you buy the apartment and i'll furnish it. shake?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#1480 Post by Isiskii » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:16 pm

AtD wrote:I want one of those Rundle Mall apartments. :(
Good luck getting sleep on the weekends.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1481 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Isiskii wrote:Good luck getting sleep on the weekends.
You've never stayed in an inner-city hotel room before?

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1482 Post by Omicron » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:40 pm

In any case, who on earth would live above Rundle Mall and stay in on a Friday/Saturday night?

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#1483 Post by iTouch » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:55 pm

I heard that Mr Yarwood went off to do a talk to the teens at the AYCC meeting which included my friend. A friend told me, how passionate he was about moving Adelaide from the "hick ass country town" mentality to a livable healthy city and about making us into a city of the future rather then one rebuilding its past.

Another less civilized friend of mine overheard us talking and I quote "HELL YEAH STEPHEN YARWOOD. that's all"

I know that they can't vote till 18 but the fact that hes planting these ideas into the generation of tomorrow makes me optimistic about the future for Adelaide.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1484 Post by ChrisRT » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Does anyone know anything about the new lights being installed on King William Street (eg. on intersection with Curry St.)? Couldn't find anything about it on ACC website....

Clr Yarwood
High Rise Poster!

#1485 Post by Clr Yarwood » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:47 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote: heard that Mr Yarwood went off to do a talk to the teens at the AYCC meeting which included my friend. A friend told me, how passionate he was about moving Adelaide from the "hick ass country town" mentality to a livable healthy city and about making us into a city of the future rather then one rebuilding its past.

Another less civilized friend of mine overheard us talking and I quote "HELL YEAH STEPHEN YARWOOD. that's all"

I know that they can't vote till 18 but the fact that hes planting these ideas into the generation of tomorrow makes me optimistic about the future for Adelaide.
Mate you have made my day! I am not sure I said "hick ass country town" but you get that...! :)

The reality is I need 2000 votes to become the youngest ever Lord Mayor. Its not about being young however, I have dedicated my life to developing cities and understand the contemporary issues cities face globally.

Make sure you get your friends to vote because only 30% of peolpe bother and Adelaide's Future is at stake!

www.StephenYarwood.com
Councillor Stephen Yarwood
Candidate for Lord Mayor
Adelaide City Council

http://www.StephenYarwood.com