News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3466 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm
ml69 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 am
Ben wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am
At tonight's council meeting Anne Moran is proposing council takes back development controls. I hope this motion is not passed or we would be undoing significant progress made in streamlining large developments.

I hope Rau tells Moran exactly where to go with this proposal ...
I don't see any problem with these recommendations, in fact I think they are quite logical. You people seem to be so caught up in all of the development taking place in this city to overlook the fact that so many poor quality developments have seen approval, furthermore, so many developments have gone up or will go up in places that are simply not suited to such height.
If you use the argument of developments going up that don't suit their height then nothing tall will ever be built. It has to start somewhere. For example the apartments in the western half of the city stand out considerably because everything else is so flat. Their existence isn't a bad thing. It shows home buyers and established and potential business there is a growing market there. And yes, there are more than a few bad developments. On this forum there are plenty of criticisms of the student accommodations and ones like Bohem, Vue, 115 KWS, Adelaidean and Kodo have users here who don't like them. You'd be hard pressed to find any city that doesn't have its share of blights on the skyline, but those aren't enough reasons to give control back to the ACC.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3467 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 am

mshagg wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:35 pm
Including a certain development on Frome Street no doubt...

Council has shown no sign that they appreciate their custodianship of the city is done on behalf of all south australians, not just a handful of landlords and NIMBY residents. I see no reason why they deserve to have their training wheels removed.
I don't see how the approval or rejection of apartment buildings by the ACC is of any kind of detriment to 'all South Australians'?

Patrick_27

#3468 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:17 am

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 pm
if you use the argument of developments going up that don't suit their height then nothing tall will ever be built. It has to start somewhere. For example the apartments in the western half of the city stand out considerably because everything else is so flat. Their existence isn't a bad thing. It shows home buyers and established and potential business there is a growing market there. And yes, there are more than a few bad developments. On this forum there are plenty of criticisms of the student accommodations and ones like Bohem, Vue, 115 KWS, Adelaidean and Kodo have users here who don't like them. You'd be hard pressed to find any city that doesn't have its share of blights on the skyline, but those aren't enough reasons to give control back to the ACC.
There have been more tacky buildings go up in the city than buildings with groundbreaking designs, sure, some nice surprises has come about but in most cases everything a lot of recent developments fallen short of the mark (sometimes even before they break ground). And I don't buy the whole "nothing tall will ever be built. It has to start somewhere", tall skylines don't make or break great cities; some of the most beautiful cities in the world have almost flat skylines... And why does Adelaide have to try and mirror itself with cities that do have overbearing skylines?

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3469 Post by mshagg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 am
mshagg wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:35 pm
Including a certain development on Frome Street no doubt...

Council has shown no sign that they appreciate their custodianship of the city is done on behalf of all south australians, not just a handful of landlords and NIMBY residents. I see no reason why they deserve to have their training wheels removed.
I don't see how the approval or rejection of apartment buildings by the ACC is of any kind of detriment to 'all South Australians'?
Is Cr Moran's proposal restricted to residential developments? It doesn't take too much vision to imagine how ACC relentlessly knocking back commercial, retail and hotel developments could have significant flow on effects for the population residing outside of light's vision.

Even if they were seeking only to wrestle control back over residential developments (which I don't believe is the case) - it's a narrow minded perspective that ignores the benefits of population growth in the CBD and it's impact on retail and services, making it a better place for all people to visit. Even council themselves seem to understand this given the CBD population target. The broader economic benefits of construction activity and easing load on urban sprawl...

This is such a terrible idea, with terrible timing given the fragile condition of our state, that not only would I like to see Rau shoot it down, but would like to see Marshall and the shadow attorney general rule it out as well (that said with the Libs getting on side with the NIMBYs in Norwood, I'm not hopeful). It's borderline reckless to pretend this is about the aesthetics of buildings you may or may not like.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3470 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:17 am
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 pm
if you use the argument of developments going up that don't suit their height then nothing tall will ever be built. It has to start somewhere. For example the apartments in the western half of the city stand out considerably because everything else is so flat. Their existence isn't a bad thing. It shows home buyers and established and potential business there is a growing market there. And yes, there are more than a few bad developments. On this forum there are plenty of criticisms of the student accommodations and ones like Bohem, Vue, 115 KWS, Adelaidean and Kodo have users here who don't like them. You'd be hard pressed to find any city that doesn't have its share of blights on the skyline, but those aren't enough reasons to give control back to the ACC.
There have been more tacky buildings go up in the city than buildings with groundbreaking designs, sure, some nice surprises has come about but in most cases everything a lot of recent developments fallen short of the mark (sometimes even before they break ground). And I don't buy the whole "nothing tall will ever be built. It has to start somewhere", tall skylines don't make or break great cities; some of the most beautiful cities in the world have almost flat skylines... And why does Adelaide have to try and mirror itself with cities that do have overbearing skylines?
The appearance of the new buildings is all up to personal opinion so some would say the city is uglier while others say it looks better than ever.

I don't want to see highrises in certain parts of the city, like East Terrace, Unley and Norwood because they don't suit the areas. Nor am I clamouring for a huge increase in the skyline as 200+ metre towers would stick out like a sore thumb (sorry DOMINATOR 1). It's when the mostly drab 60s-80s skyline has changed little over almost thirty years and we've had the same three tallest for that long is when I want to see things change up - like the way it's going and looks to continue. I like seeing change and growth in a city while also preserving its culture, heritage and strengths wherever possible. Our image comes into it too. On various forums a lot of people from other Australian cities and even other countries have seen pictures of Adelaide and said "wow, it hasn't changed". This isn't an ideal thing for us. To someone moving to Australia we don't want them to see Adelaide as a city that's stagnant while the other capital cities are advancing.

Using the western half of the city as an example again, what's worth preserving about the image there? It's not a flat area with heritage and charm, it's just a flat area with drab shops and businesses. Most of it isn't exactly a place that can be compared to some of the great cities of Europe. The way I see it the apartments there are making the area look and feel more lively and attractive.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3471 Post by mshagg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Might not be the right thread, but anyways.

Received a letter today from the Adelaide City Council regarding the audit of buildings with Aluminium Clad Panels. Turns out mine (altitude) has been identified as "possibly having" ACPs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3472 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Two streetscape upgrades are currently undergoing consultation by the City of Adelaide Both involve greening and undergrounding of power lines. The former also widens the footpath, which is much needed.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3473 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Interesting
Councillor Moran will move a motion and seek a seconder for the matter shown below to facilitate consideration by the Council:
‘That: On the basis that the City of Adelaide has formally established an independent Council Assessment Panel to assess development applications, Council requests that the Capital City Committee consider having a conversation with
Minister Knoll to reinstate Council’s planning assessment powers including the following four options:

- Full restoration of powers for all development in the City of Adelaide
- Increase the current $10m cap to $40M
- Change trigger from dollar value to floor space to 25,000sqm
- Establish a joint City of Adelaide and State Planning Assessment panel.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3474 Post by Pistol » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Why is it that one person thinks they can have such an impact on that of over a million...
Let's face it, she is voted in by a couple of hundred people at the most and does not have the majority view in mind.

Am hoping that this new government isn't as stupid as to bow to a power hungry crazy old cat lady
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#3475 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Hope it’s knocked back :wallbash:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3476 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Ben wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm
Shes back having another crack with the new government.
Councillor Moran will move a motion and seek a seconder for the matter shown below to facilitate consideration by the Council:
‘That: On the basis that the City of Adelaide has formally established an independent Council Assessment Panel to assess development applications, Council requests that the Capital City Committee consider having a conversation with
Minister Knoll to reinstate Council’s planning assessment powers including the following four options:

Yeahh... No.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3477 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:20 am

Ben wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm
Shes back having another crack with the new government.

How about No! a thousand times No!
The last thing we need is to give more power to NIMBYs and crazy Cat Ladies elected by less than 1000 votes.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

[Shuz]

#3478 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:44 am

Did the Liberals support the passage of the new Planning Development and Infrastructure Act 2018? I can't seem to find anything online that shows how the voting went in the Lower House and Upper House when this bill went through?

I'm interested to know as this would give some indication how likely they are to make changes to the planning system. If they voted against, then it could be interpreted that they intend to make changes and possibly support Anne Moran's motion. If they passed it without objection or amendments, then I think we're in safe territory and won't see any changes.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3479 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 am

Adelaide City Council to make new move to return planning powers
Simeon Thomas-Wilson, Urban Affairs, The Advertiser
April 10, 2018 10:22pm

ADELAIDE City Council will launch a new bid to claw back some of its planning powers from the State Government, with a push to raise the $10 million CBD cap to $40 million.

It’s been nearly 10 years since the then State Government made widescale changes to the way that large scale development proposals earmarked for the City of Adelaide — appointing the Development Assessment Commission as the planning authority for any development over $10 million in the city.

In November 2013 now former Planning Minister John Rau then removed the council’s referral powers for the developments over $10 million.

The council has tried to overturn this ever since and at a full meeting on Tuesday night, Adelaide chief executive Mark Goldstone told city councillors that in light of the change in State Government last month a new push would be launched to reinstate some of the council’s planning assessment powers.

“With the change in government it is an opportunity to us to restate our position and we will do that,” Mr Goldstone said.

The declaration by Mr Goldstone came after Councillor Anne Moran asked whether the council would resume efforts taken after a adopting a motion she moved in October last year.

The motion called for the council to discuss with the State Government about options including;

THE full restoration of the council’s powers for all development in the City of Adelaide,

INCREASING the current $10 million cap for developments removed from the council’s planning assessment powers to $40 million, and

ESTABLISHING a joint City of Adelaide and State Planning Assessment panel.

Cr Moran was going to move another motion at the meeting before settling on asking it as a question without notice.

“We have a new minister in charge of planning [Stephan Knoll],” she said.

After Cr Moran’s motion last year, Adelaide Lord Mayor Martin Haese wrote to Mr Rau requesting that he consider raising the threshold of what developments could be assessed by the council but received no response.

Cr Haese said he would again support Cr Moran’s push.

“I will continue to do so with the Marshal Liberal Government, it [the move for reinstate planning assessment powers] has great merit,” he said.

The renewed push by the council to lobby the State Government to give it back some of its planning powers is likely to again take place through a letter to the Planning Minister and by being raised at the Capital City Committee.

[Shuz]

#3480 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:44 am

Wonder if it's worthwhile us putting together as a forum (Sensational Adelaide) a letter also to the Planning Minister objecting to the council's proposal similar to what we did for building heights and the development plan review.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.