News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
timtam20292
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3526 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

“Team Adelaide” wins City Council majority

A diverse collection of candidates connected with “Team Adelaide” has formed a majority on the new Adelaide City Council.

As InDaily revealed earlier this year, a group of council candidates endorsed by then-Lord Mayor Martin Haese had been meeting regularly, in private, ahead of this month’s local government election – but none was willing to acknowledge an affiliation with “Team Adelaide” publicly.

Three candidates associated with the group – former president of the SA Young Liberals Alex Hyde, Central Market trader Franz Knoll (the father of the Local Government Minister, Stephan) and domestic violence campaigner Arman Abrahimzadeh – have been elected.

A further three Haese-endorsed candidates – incumbent Central Ward councillor Houssam Abiad, China Business Network SA president Simon Hou and real estate agent Mary Couros – have also been elected, the latest round of updated figures released this afternoon show.

Re-elected area councillor Anne Moran also had Haese’s endorsement but said she was never invited to join the group and had not attended its meetings.

Former Greens Senator Robert Simms, incumbent North Ward councillor Phil Martin and Chancery Lane Gallery operator Jessy Khera and have also been elected.

Franz Knoll told InDaily this morning that he had benefited from being part of the group by becoming familiar with its other members, their values and their approach to policy.

He said being part of the group meant he would be able to “modify” his approach to policy proposals “so that what I bring is acceptable to the broader community”.

He added that while each of the candidates in the group has “a completely different agenda” for the city and North Adelaide, being part of the group meant that they would all have a better chance of progressing their individual policy goals.

“You get to know each other … that’s the only real benefit,” he said.

“If that familiarity helps to get us progress … what each hopes to achieve then that’s a huge win.

“Isn’t it fantastic that we can progress a number of different projects.”

Despite this, he insisted: “It isn’t specifically a group as such.”

In September, Haese sensationally abandoned his campaign for re-election, citing personal and family reasons. He endorsed incumbent deputy Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor to take the top job.

Vershoor was yesterday confirmed elected as Lord Mayor, defeating Adelaide commercial lawyer Mark Hamilton.

But she said “Team Adelaide” had been “a beat-up by InDaily”.

“The first ticket that went out was by (rival Lord Mayoral candidate) Mark Hamilton and nobody even picked that up or said anything about it,” she said.

Verschoor said she hoped that the new council would work cohesively together.

“We’ve got some fantastic new councillors that have come in plus some very experienced councillors have been returned,” she said.

“During the campaign, I met with all of them independently.

“We didn’t sit down one-on-one yesterday but my intention is to certainly do that over the coming weeks.”

Defeated south ward incumbent, Priscilla Corbell-Moore, who was one of Haese’s endorsed candidates, said InDaily’s coverage of “Team Adelaide” was partly to blame for her electoral loss.

I’m not part of a Team Adelaide, I wasn’t helped by anyone

Corbell-Moore had earlier this year told InDaily that she was not a member of the group, but declined to comment on whether she had attended any of its meetings and responded – “I’m not saying” – when asked whether she had been approached to join it.

Asked about the secrecy surrounding the group at the time, she said she was “aware of rumours of an Abiad-led group” and that it wasn’t “unusual to have an element of suspense to do with… campaign linkups”.

She told InDaily today: “Team Adelaide was never a thing.”

“I’m not part of a Team Adelaide, I wasn’t helped by anyone,” Corbell-Moore said.

“I did get an endorsement from Martin Haese but all I wanted to do was support him and just be on whatever he was doing and he wasn’t running anyway.

“I’ve always worked hard for the community. I’ve previously and always have had a good reputation but I think that the previous stories (on Team Adelaide) really did a lot of damage to me.”

Corbell-Moore lost her seat to fellow Haese-endorsee Alex Hyde and independent Helen Donovan.

Asked why she thought Hyde was able to achieve electoral success despite his association with “Team Adelaide”, Corbell-Moore said her status as an incumbent councillor meant she was particularly affected.

“I don’t think it affected him (Hyde) at the same level,” she said.

“I’m an incumbent, I’ve got the experience sitting on council whereas Alex is unfamiliar, the community don’t really know him, he was just somebody that emerged as a candidate in the local council elections.

“There are other things at play in terms of allegiances that you make or are made or emerge as a result of campaigning.

“Alex had some things working in his favour, I think, in terms of some connections.”

Corbell-Moore said she did not want to comment on what those “connections” were.

InDaily contacted Alex Hyde for comment, but he did not respond before deadline.

Donovan says she declined an invitation from Abiad to join “Team Adelaide” earlier this year.

Speaking to InDaily in August, she said Abiad had told her the group would be assured a majority on the next council if enough members – 19 was the target number – swapped preferences on their how-to-vote cards.

A “Team Adelaide” insider subsequently detailed the inner workings of the group.

Donovan told InDaily this morning: “At this point, I’m just keen to collaborate with everyone who was elected now that the newly elected council will be working together.”

“It will be interesting to see who everything goes from here, now that they will need to work effectively together with all members of council.”

Like Haese, Abiad had denied the existence of a group called “Team Adelaide” but promoted the virtue of a more collaborative future city council.

He has since refused to comment on the grouping, and did not respond when we contacted him this morning.

Hou also declined to comment.
https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/11/12/ ... -majority/

vozdra
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3527 Post by vozdra » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know where the 2018 DAP agendas are located for the Adelaide City Council? They are all located up to 2017 below but nothing from 2018 and beyond.

https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/your- ... as-minutes

softgrow
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3528 Post by softgrow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:27 pm

You can find everything under the groups at the top i.e
  • All Committees
  • All Council
  • All Panel
  • Confidentiality Orders
In 2018 developments were looked at by “Council Assessment Panel”

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3529 Post by rev » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:25 am

Cast your minds back to when they wanted to build a permanent pit facility and function/multi user facility in Victoria Park.

Just south of that spot they(I assume council) has built some sort of structure, toilets or for use by sporting clubs.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3530 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:13 pm

The Adelaide Festival Palais on the river torrens is due to be removed in April this year as it was originally setup with
a 3 year agreement. The Adelaide festival has asked ACC for permission to keep it there for another couple of years.
I believe ACC will have a meeting this week to determine it's future.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3531 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Time for the pontoon to go IMO. Beyond the fact that it's unsightly when not in use and that a rolling programme of activation seems unachievable, it's been 2 years. One of the strengths of the Adelaide Festival used to be innovation and creativity; come up with something new and exciting.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#3532 Post by Nathan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:00 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm
Time for the pontoon to go IMO. Beyond the fact that it's unsightly when not in use and that a rolling programme of activation seems unachievable, it's been 2 years. One of the strengths of the Adelaide Festival used to be innovation and creativity; come up with something new and exciting.
The festival is often a reflection of the directors. Personally I've been underwhelmed by Neil Armfield and Rachel Healy, following four fantastic festivals by David Sefton. Clearly what they're doing is working (they're continuing to grow attendances), but their festivals have lacked the daring spark that Sefton's had.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3533 Post by how good is he » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 pm

SRW, I agree but does forum think its worth moving it around to new locations ie Jolly’s boathouse?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3534 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:45 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:00 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm
The festival is often a reflection of the directors. Personally I've been underwhelmed by Neil Armfield and Rachel Healy, following four fantastic festivals by David Sefton. Clearly what they're doing is working (they're continuing to grow attendances), but their festivals have lacked the daring spark that Sefton's had.
I tend to agree. Which is unfortunate, because it feels as though the festival's pioneering cred is being lost and outshone nationally.
how good is he wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 pm
SRW, I agree but does forum think its worth moving it around to new locations ie Jolly’s boathouse?
Apparently it can't be towed. And if it's uneconomic to even just remove it (as the AFC has sometimes argued), I can't imagine it'd be removed and reinstalled.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ghs

#3535 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 am

The river torrens footbridge near adelaide uni is currently closed due to concerns over it's stability with the increased
traffic from the festivals and RCC. #ACCisajoke

[Shuz]

#3536 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 am

They're talking about the same footbridge which survived a VW golf being hang from the centre back in the 70s?

I'm no engineering expert, but I'm pretty sure if a bridge can hold a car, it can hold some foot traffic.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#3537 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 am
They're talking about the same footbridge which survived a VW golf being hang from the centre back in the 70s?

I'm no engineering expert, but I'm pretty sure if a bridge can hold a car, it can hold some foot traffic.
I guess it's possible that it has degraded somewhat in the ensuing 40+ years.

When I was at uni, I was told that marching troops (Adelaide University Regiment Reservists I guess) had to break step over the bridge to avoid it resonating too much.

urban
Legendary Member!

#3538 Post by urban » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am

The bridge was holding a single car plus half a dozen students as a "dead load" total weight would have been 2-2.5 tonnes. At full pedestrian capacity the bridge would be able to accommodate 50+ people. Assuming they averaged 70kg each you're looking at 3.5 tonnes of "live load". Live load exerts far greater stresses on structures because it can cause bouncing of the structure or set-up vibrations that under the right conditions can causes waves of movement to occur.

Llessur2002

#3539 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:41 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 am
Just being pedantic but it was an FJ holden. The engine had been removed so it would have weighed in at under 900kg.

https://www.adelaide.edu.au/lumen/issue ... 71347.html

Nort

#3540 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 pm

urban wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am
The bridge was holding a single car plus half a dozen students as a "dead load" total weight would have been 2-2.5 tonnes. At full pedestrian capacity the bridge would be able to accommodate 50+ people. Assuming they averaged 70kg each you're looking at 3.5 tonnes of "live load". Live load exerts far greater stresses on structures because it can cause bouncing of the structure or set-up vibrations that under the right conditions can causes waves of movement to occur.
For all the people sure that there was no risk due to the increased number of pedestrians I encourage them to prove the ACC wrong after the bridge is re-opened by grabbing 50-60 other people and going jumping around on the bridge together. I certainly won't be joining in.