News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#46 Post by Howie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks very much for posting that. I think we should send that render to J.Lomax-Smith, the time is ripe for change, and hopefully they would reconsider this proposal under a revised major project status.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by AtD » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:39 am

Howie wrote:Thanks very much for posting that. I think we should send that render to J.Lomax-Smith, the time is ripe for change, and hopefully they would reconsider this proposal under a revised major project status.
Won't that just be flogging a political dead horse? There's no will from any level of government, it seems, to do anything about the Square for now. I don't think this would get support from the ALP's party room simply because there's not many votes to be won, and several to be lost.

But by all means, go for it, that was the point of the article you posted at the start of this thread after all. If you do post an open letter, I'd like to read it.

BTW, I edited my post above to include a shot from Google Earth of the square as it is. The photo was probably taken at about the same time as this was going on, looking at the progress of the C'wealth Courts.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by bdm » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:01 pm

Why don't they try and get some state government funds for a tunnel underneath the square? Sure its more expensive, but everyone wins.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Will » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:32 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Will wrote:I don't think that a tunnel under Victoria Square is a good idea. It would cost tens of millions of dollars. Money which I think is wasted because the tunnel would only save motorists 2-3 minutes of travel time. It is not worth it. The money would be better spent in projects that make Victoria Square more attractive and relevant to tourists and the citizens.
Its not at all about saving the motorists travel time, it is about closing the square off to motorishts full stop, as a square should be... it was a mistake to favour vehicles and put roads through the square at all. If it was a pedestrian only area it could be utilised far more effectively, with say, night clubs and cafe/restaurants around the edge at ground level and an open recreation area in the centre (garden, plaza, markets whatever). That would truely change the entire feeling of the adelaide cbd and even if it cost 100 million plus the impact would be worth it.
I don't konw what gave you the impression I am against closing Victoria Square for traffic?

I am against wasting millions of dollars on a tunnel, not closing the square. I would like Victoria Square to become a European style plaza, without trees.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Ben » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:52 pm

[quote="AtD"]For those who don't remember the goings-on from 2003, the council actually approved this plan, I've pulled this out of eLibrary and my hard drive.

Here it is: now the council has the final say on square
By Civic Reporter JEMMA CHAPMAN
The Advertiser (Adelaide, Australia) 02-27-2003
[quote]THIS is the long-awaited final plan for the controversial proposed redevelopment of Victoria Square, including blocking east-west traffic.Adelaide City Council will vote on it next Monday.

The council is still awaiting reports into the feasibility and costs of Lord Mayor Alfred Huang's tunnel proposal, however.

Work on the square and other aspects of the multimillion-dollar project to revitalise the central west precinct would start as early as July and take more than five years to complete, according to a council staff report to be tabled on Monday.

The final plan for the $17.8 million redevelopment of the square retains key features of the draft plan, including an extended tramline around the square, a central paved plaza, central lawn area, interactive water feature and a revised special-events pavilion.

Changes include:

A V-SHAPED bus transit zone at the southern end of the square, to double as a lane for motorists during off-peak traffic times.

A LIMITED-USE, bus-only slip lane at the square's northern end.

THREE lanes for circulating traffic with dedicated right-turn and U-turn lanes at the northern and southern ends of the square.

AN indented bus layover at the southeastern edge of the square.

Emergency services vehicles would have to drive around or through the square.

A report by traffic experts QED, to be tabled on Monday, said driving around the square would take emergency vehicles an extra 30 seconds.

Lord Mayor Alfred Huang said last night he had been ``assured'' by council staff the tunnel proposal - a part tunnel, part mound - could be incorporated in the final plan after work had begun.

``I'm still positive the report will come back and tell us the tunnel is feasible,'' he said.

``But the main thing is that we get on with the project now.

``And the tunnel issue is a small part of the total picture.''

The council report said a QED traffic analysis predicted the road closure would increase driving times for motorists by 15 seconds in the morning peak and 35 seconds in the evening peak.

The report said some Grote St and nearby traders were still concerned with closing the Grote and Wakefield streets connector through the square.

Councillor Greg Mackie said he remained an ``enthusiastic supporter'' of the plans for the central west precinct, including the Victoria Square redevelopment.

``I sincerely hope that a majority of my colleagues will see fit to support the plan on Monday so we can get on with the work,'' he said.

But Councillor Anne Moran, a vocal opponent of the proposed road closure, feared ``the numbers on this council'' would ``push through'' the plans before the election. ``They know the people don't want it and that's why they won't wait until after the election,'' she said.

Councillor Michael Harbison was ``dead against'' the plans. ``We must keep Grote/Wakefield streets open and make the city welcoming to the greater metropolitan area,'' he said.

Councillor Richard Hayward said the proposed square redevelopment was a ``total waste of ratepayers' money''.

The central west revitalisation project also includes:

UPGRADING Grote and Wakefield streets by widening footpaths, reducing traffic lanes and creating bicycle paths.

REDEVELOPING the council-owned Balfours and Franklin St bus station sites into high-density housing and student accommodation, plus cafes, shops, offices and restaurants.[quote="AtD"]

Why doesn't that surprise me that Moran was against development? That must be a first.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:37 am

AtD wrote:The ACC's plan, from The Advertiser
That looks impressive. From the picture, anyway.

Apart from the condition and design of the actual square another problem it faces, in my opinion, is the type of buildings/facilites in the vicinity. Apart from the Hilton/central markets there is not much around to attract foot traffic.

A square like this in another city would be surrounded by things such as a music stores, cafes and restaurants, cultural buildings such as an art gallery or museum, hotels (at least there's one or two of those in Vic Sq), cinemas, theatres. Victoria Square has little of this type of thing to bring the people.

Altering the design and re-landscaping the square will only go part way to realising the potential of what should be a magnificent public square.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by rogue » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:15 pm

With the new SA Water HQ under construction on the old tram barn site (see link http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... .php?t=143 ), there will soon be quite a few more workers around the immediate area.

Also, does anyone know what is happening to the old Treasury building on the corner of Vic Sq and Flinders St? There has been a bit of internal work done recently and I think the building is vacant. Who is moving in?

Another vacant building in a prime position is on the corner of KW St and Currie St, where the Adelaide Metro info centre is. Only the ground floor has tenants and its been that way for several years. What a great site for a landmark project.....

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#53 Post by Howie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:27 pm

Wasn't carnegie mellon university moving into the old treasury building?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:37 pm

They were already there I thought? Last time I walked past, the doors were open and I could see they had signs up inside.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by rogue » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:33 pm

I thought that Carnegie Mellon was on the Wakefield St corner.

A couple of months ago there was a fire in the Treasury building. I walked passed last week and the doors were boarded up.

Have a look at this map. Is it right? I might have the building names wrong...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:38 pm

Ah yes you're right rouge, Carnegie Mellon are in the Torrens Building. My mistake.

The big white building on the corner of Flinders Street is the former Reserve Bank building, and last time I was down there the ground floor was boarded up with 'Demolition in Progress' signs on it. I believe the building is owned by the federal government (Melbourne's Reserve Bank building looks almost identical)

The RBA is the white one, the State Govt offices are in the black and white one next to it and the Torrens Building is the heritage one next to that.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#57 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:22 pm

AtD wrote:The ACC's plan, from The Advertiser
that looks fantastic, hopefully in the near future the ACC or the state government do this!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Will » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:30 pm

rogue wrote:
Also, does anyone know what is happening to the old Treasury building on the corner of Vic Sq and Flinders St? There has been a bit of internal work done recently and I think the building is vacant. Who is moving in?

Another vacant building in a prime position is on the corner of KW St and Currie St, where the Adelaide Metro info centre is. Only the ground floor has tenants and its been that way for several years. What a great site for a landmark project.....
In regard to the old Treasury building, it was converted into the Medina Grand Hotel which opened in 2004, and the Torrens Building was converted into Carnegie Mellon University which opened earlier this year.

The old Reserve Bank building is being modernized inside; once work is complete it will resume life as an office building.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#59 Post by Algernon » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:40 pm

I think the Reserve Bank building was getting some of James Hardie's Finest removed.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by rogue » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks for clearing that up peeps. The old RBA building is the one I was confused with... :roll:

Does anyone have any comment on the site at cnr KW & Currie?