News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3451 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am

Nathan wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 pm
ACC putting an end to the former netball courts in Bonython Park being (ab)used by commuters. Small print mentions an intention to redevelop the area as a "multi-purpose recreational facility".
Looks like the council have changed their minds on this one. Signage about the closure is gone, and instead 4P parking signs have gone up.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3452 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Not surprised by this :roll:

By the way what does unappropriate mean :lol:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 64d58f4c93

Design of Adelaide Riverbank light feature not appropriate for precinct: council
Jade Gailberger, City Editor, The Advertiser
September 28, 2017 8:21am

THE design of a $600,000 interactive lighting project for Adelaide’s Riverbank has been slammed as too Gold Coast glitzy by Adelaide councillors.

A Renewal SA project titled “Reeds of Reflection” was to featrure 15 light clusters and animated LED lights spread along the southern riverbank path between King William Rd and Montefiore Rd bridges by early 2018.

But at a council meeting on Tuesday, elected member Phil Martin said the feature lights were “something you might expect to see on the Gold Coast”.

Councillors Alex Antic and Megan Hender also voiced their disapproval, saying the lights were unattractive and unappropriate for the area.

The council will now advise the State Government that it supports a feature lighting installation but wants other design option.

It had taken 18 months to develop the $595,980 installation which would boast timed animations for hourly light shows, with touch panels, microphones and motions sensors for the public to interact.

The River Torrens landscape inspired the design of the triangular shaped reeds, the largest which will stand up to 6.6m tall. Renewal SA project manager James Finnis said during the Ashes, “a person could walk past each cluster and a flash of red could come presenting a cricket ball”.

“Someone could stand at the start of the lighting feature, clap or interact with it in some way ... and it would then send a pulse of light across the precinct,” he said.

Construction was due to start in November and Renewal SA general manager people and place Georgina Vasilevski said they will work to ensure the changes have minimal impact on the total cost of the project.

“We will take the feedback from City of Adelaide elected members on board and factor them into the design, before re-presenting it to council,” she said.

“The project team and stakeholders are also exploring opportunities to create lighting choreography themed to match major events along the Adelaide Riverbank, such as Carols by Candlelight, New Year’s Eve and major football and cricket matches.”

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3453 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Le sigh. If it was tacky then maybe a good outcome. But it sounded like it would have been good.

Meanwhile, the last three nights, between 1am and 4am there has been a truck-borne-plant vacuum and a pavement boring machine drilling holes in Frome street. I'm guessing it's test bores for the bike lane? Whatever it is, who ever decided that 3am is an appropriate time to make ridiculous amounts of noise while residents are trying to sleep has something coming. There's a lot of irate people suffering from sleep deprivation on Rundle Street. *twitch twitch*
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3454 Post by Norman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm still trying to figure out who thought "unappropriate" was a word.

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#3455 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:40 pm

ugh really? :roll: Hope they ignore the moron council.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3456 Post by Norman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:55 pm

timtam20292 wrote:ugh really? :roll: Hope they ignore the moron council.
I don't think they can ignore the council, given that they need to approve the development. Does anyone have any documentation on the feature?

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3457 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:19 pm

That light pole thing looks good and I'd like to see some on the riverbank. The problem is it's in the wrong place. If it's placed there then it hurts the visual elegance of the bridge gently curving around. A photo like this

would be blocked by a closer, brighter source of light. The bridge's triangular pillar and subtle inside lighting is attractive. Better to have these light towers further down the riverbank either outside the festival theatre or the convention centre. If it has to be here then put then on the other side of the footpath.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3458 Post by ml69 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:01 pm

I actually like the proposed lighting proposal. I think that Riverbank area desperately needs a bit bling and wow. It's pretty underwhelming at the moment.

I reckon the public would love these interactive lighting installations.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3459 Post by SRW » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Tbh I tend to agree that the lights are misplaced. The lake is the vista for the promenade. Position the lights there where the action is.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3460 Post by Ben » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am

At tonight's council meeting there is a proposal council takes back development controls. I hope this motion is not passed or we would be undoing significant progress made in streamlining large developments.
Councillor Moran will move a motion and seek a seconder for the matter shown below to facilitate consideration by the Committee:
On the basis that the City of Adelaide has formally established an independent Council Assessment Panel to assess development applications, Council requests the Capital City Committee to consider having a conversation with Minister Rau to reinstate Councils planning assessment powers including the following four options:

- Full restoration of powers for all development in the City of Adelaide
- Increase the current $10m cap to $40M
- Change trigger from dollar value to floor space to 25,000sqm
- Establish a joint City of Adelaide and State Planning Assessment panel

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3461 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 am

Until the council can demonstrate that they're aren't a dysfunctional, illogical, evidence ignoring rabble, they should have more powers taken away.

Evidence:
Sturt Street Bikeway.
Frome Street Bikeway.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3462 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:01 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 am
Until the council can demonstrate that they're aren't a dysfunctional, illogical, evidence ignoring rabble, they should have more powers taken away.

Evidence:
Sturt Street Bikeway.
Frome Street Bikeway.
I don't see how either of these have anything to do with the matter being discussed? I'd say all of those characteristics that you've mentioned are a show for the fact that the ACC is actually somewhat considerate of it's current residents. Unlike our government who's idea of a public consultation process is to make it all very quick, subtle and basically ensure that no one takes part in it (but those who actually do are practically ignored in the final decision process anyway...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3463 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:01 pm
monotonehell wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 am

Evidence:
Sturt Street Bikeway.
Frome Street Bikeway.
I don't see how either of these have anything to do with the matter being discussed? I'd say all of those characteristics that you've mentioned are a show for the fact that the ACC is actually somewhat considerate of it's current residents. Unlike our government who's idea of a public consultation process is to make it all very quick, subtle and basically ensure that no one takes part in it (but those who actually do are practically ignored in the final decision process anyway...
Have you forgotten what it was like before the $10mil rule? Interesting developments were often knocked back until they were beige boxes, because the rules said that they had to be "in character with their neighbours". Also there was the height restrictions still purposed toward the "pyramid model" which was never something that anyone thought was a good model.

The actions of the council show that a lot of them are not considerate of the residents - they often are more interested in their pet peeves rather than looking at what's best for all. Example - requesting several studies on the Frome Bikeway because they didn't like the conclusions of the first ones.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3464 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm
ml69 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 am
Ben wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am
At tonight's council meeting Anne Moran is proposing council takes back development controls. I hope this motion is not passed or we would be undoing significant progress made in streamlining large developments.

I hope Rau tells Moran exactly where to go with this proposal ...
I don't see any problem with these recommendations, in fact I think they are quite logical. You people seem to be so caught up in all of the development taking place in this city to overlook the fact that so many poor quality developments have seen approval, furthermore, so many developments have gone up or will go up in places that are simply not suited to such height.
You must have a short memory. There were plenty of average proposals that were given the tick of approval by the ACC, including the hideous trash on Hindley Street formally known as 'Octagon Student Apartments' and the delightful 'Precinct' apartments on Morphett Street. The dumbing down of 199 North Terrace also springs to mind.

The State Government taking full control was one of the best things that has ever happened in this city. The quantity and quality of developments has vastly improved, and as a result the city skyline is about to undergo it's biggest overhaul in decades. That's not saying all developments approved by the DAC have been wonderful, though it's far better compared to the ACC days.

The ACC's plan would be a huge step back for Adelaide's progress.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3465 Post by mshagg » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm
ml69 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 am
Ben wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am
At tonight's council meeting Anne Moran is proposing council takes back development controls. I hope this motion is not passed or we would be undoing significant progress made in streamlining large developments.

I hope Rau tells Moran exactly where to go with this proposal ...
I don't see any problem with these recommendations, in fact I think they are quite logical. You people seem to be so caught up in all of the development taking place in this city to overlook the fact that so many poor quality developments have seen approval, furthermore, so many developments have gone up or will go up in places that are simply not suited to such height.
Including a certain development on Frome Street no doubt...

Council has shown no sign that they appreciate their custodianship of the city is done on behalf of all south australians, not just a handful of landlords and NIMBY residents. I see no reason why they deserve to have their training wheels removed.