News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3436 Post by Pikey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:15 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:01 pm
Pikey wrote:Umm, are we forgetting that the new RAH has two helipads? They'll be running a lot longer and later than a tourist helicopter.
How often are they used?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Depending on demand, but from what i'm lead to believe it averages 4 times a day.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3437 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:33 am

Again I live on Rundle Street, next to the current RAH and their helipad. The rescue chopper flies low over the eastern parklands en route to the helipad. Yes, it's loud and it must maintain speed whilst on the pad for a long time while the load/unload happens. If people are complaining about a commercial helipad in the vicinity of two medical helipads they are selectively ignoring one of those things.

I'm neither for not against a commercial helipad, but like pointed out above, we already have an existing helipad with full facilities on the skirt at Adelaide airport behind Harbour Town, it's not that far away by car.

https://goo.gl/maps/X1Q8R8JRJPG2
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3438 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:12 am
Unlike Melbourne, Adelaide has a fully functioning airport 10 minutes from the CBD. Here's an idea - put the thing at the airport.
We already have a commercial pad at the airport for this purpose, Councillor Abaid only wants this helipad to service his rich friends. Melbourne has two helipads along the Yarra in the CBD, the sound is really unpleasant.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3439 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 pm

I feel the Adelaide Parklands protection agency raise a fair point that people use the riverbank paths for walking, jogging and cycling right next to where the heli-pad is. I don't particular like looking forward to having a nice place to go effectively cut off due to the noise so hopefully the choppers won't be too loud and they won't be flying so often to make the riverbank paths unusable.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3440 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Good news... Peel Street to be permanently closed off to traffic
PEEL St will become a more vibrant, cosmopolitan strip when it is permanently closed to vehicle traffic from Tuesday.

The closure comes after more than two years of trials and is designed to turn Peel St into a pedestrian friendly environment.

Service vehicles and delivery access will be allowed to enter the street between 3am-11am daily, with removable or retractable bollards to be installed at both ends.

Minister for the City of Adelaide John Rau said they had received a “strong positive response” from the community and traders, who now had the opportunity to expand their business through outdoor dining, and stimulate further economic investment into the CBD.

Alfred’s owner Scott Quick said it will also help attract more people to the area.

“Benefiting local traders, as well as providing a safer environment for patrons and staff alike as they move through the street,” Mr Quick said.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said along with waiving this year’s outdoor dining fees for many operators, “the permanent closure was another measure that will add to the vibrancy of our city’s alfresco scene”.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6b96/quote]

[Shuz]

#3441 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:04 pm

:applause:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#3442 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 pm

ACC putting an end to the former netball courts in Bonython Park being (ab)used by commuters. Small print mentions an intention to redevelop the area as a "multi-purpose recreational facility".

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3443 Post by mshagg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 am

ACC's pro-car agenda seems to be going well then:

https://indaily.com.au/news/2017/09/12/ ... bd-survey/
The proportion of people who say they visit Adelaide's CBD daily is the lowest in a decade, according to the latest city users survey, which also shows a steep decline in people shopping and working in the city.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3444 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 am

With just 2000 people surveyed, I'll take these figures with a grain of salt.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#3445 Post by floplo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 am

crawf wrote:With just 2000 people surveyed, I'll take these figures with a grain of salt.
Actually 2000 is way more than enough..

... But only as long as you get the demographics right

I guess they didn't adjust for changes in who they interviewed between the different years, because some of these fluctuations look way too large

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3446 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 am

The problem with the survey is that it measures proportions, not total people. So there could be more people visiting the city, but the proportion doing it daily has dropped. That could have come from more people visiting the city weekly or monthly that never came to the city before.

Never let journalism and statistics mix. Very disappointing from InDaily to go with a headline like that.

Llessur2002

#3447 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

Unless I'm missing something, the results of this survey don't necessarily indicate an overall drop in visitor numbers - mearly an increase in the proportion of respondents who visit the city occasionally over those who visit every day.

This could be due to people who once visited daily decreasing their visit rate to only a few times per week. Alternatively, it could be due to a rise in occasional visitors - people who seldom came to the CBD before but now come occasionally for the footy, shopping, small bars etc who would now form a greater proportion of the cohort surveyed.

If the former then I would say that an increase in remote working and study practices would be a contributor to this - I myself am an office worker who until this year worked strictly Monday to Friday in the CBD, now I work flexibly so am at home maybe one day per week. The same will be true for uni students too.

All in all I am not really sure what the results of this survey categorically show us without analysing in conjunction with overall CBD visitation figures (overall car trips, public transport patronage, cycling/walking numbers), retail spend etc.

To report it like they have strongly suggests that overall visitation numbers have remained static, which may be the case but I can see no evidence for that in the article.

Edit: You beat me to it Norman :D I've said it before but I still think that InDaily is gradually creeping towards a sensationalist Advertiser-esque agenda as opposed to the fairly balanced and objective viewpoint I remember it having when it first started a couple of years back.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3448 Post by mshagg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Apologies for the indaily spam but it's not like there's anyone else that reports on council matters.

This is priceless.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2017/09/13/ ... ld-begins/
“I just was want to note my disappointment … that we don’t have the biking lobby in the gallery,” Abiad told the meeting.

“I’ve not received any emails from anyone in the bike lobby … that wants to come and support and clap for council.

“We see no recognition from our community … and that really I find quite disheartening and disappointing.”
Abiad actually stood up at a meeting and complained that no one from the "bike lobby" was there to thank council for approving consultation on the east-west bikeway, despite Antic and Moran actively trying to stall it beyond the state government's deadline for funding at the very same meeting, and the ripping up of frome st commencing next week.

Antic predictably cited the survey discussed above as evidence that people were "having difficulty navigating the city".

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3449 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Indaily is a piece of sensationalist trash. There is one journalist in particular who rights negative misguided article after article. Someone Richardson I think. I'm not opening the article to see if its him because i'm not giving them another click.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3450 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm

I will echo that the editorial line at InDaily appears to have changed over time to more closely align with the kind of reportage we'd expect from the Murdoch press. That's an unforunate development to say the least given the lack of media diversity here.

To the survey itself, the massive fluctuations year on year are than enough reason to raise a critical eye to the result. While the quantity surveyed is adequate (many national political polls survey fewer by comparison) the quality may have caused a rogue result. There may be demographic or phrasing issues that don't reflect true visitation.
Keep Adelaide Weird