News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News: Adelaide City Council

#1651 Post by omada » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:25 pm

Oh how inconvenient for you all! My heart bleeds, you can't visit the gardens, can't walk back to your bmw or landcruiser, without being reminded, that oh yeah, there are indigenous people. How uncouth they are sitting around in groups, they should be in their swanky inner city, ikea clad apartments sipping a nice Riesling.

Perhaps your solution would be to house them in Christian missions again? Some sort of camp way from our view.. as unpleasant as it may be, we stole their land, and let us pay this price, this small inconvenience, for many centuries to come.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1652 Post by metro » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:22 pm

omada wrote:we stole their land
we sure did, as this woman tells us:

:lol:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1653 Post by jk1237 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 pm

omada wrote:Oh how inconvenient for you all! My heart bleeds, you can't visit the gardens, can't walk back to your bmw or landcruiser, without being reminded, that oh yeah, there are indigenous people. How uncouth they are sitting around in groups, they should be in their swanky inner city, ikea clad apartments sipping a nice Riesling.

Perhaps your solution would be to house them in Christian missions again? Some sort of camp way from our view.. as unpleasant as it may be, we stole their land, and let us pay this price, this small inconvenience, for many centuries to come.
ah yes, we stole their land, so its perfectly Ok for them to indulge in violence to themselves and other people. I work in the optus building and that same group were sitting near the tram stop for a few weeks, and they tried to rip a work colleagues handbag off her shoulder while walking from the tram stop. She was extremely upset but I guess in your view she should have said sorry to them :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

caus extreme physical violence amongst the aboriginal community is really great stuff isnt it. Drunken men raping young children in remote communities, excellent - continue as you are, its OK for that to happen on large levels, because we stole their land

mrblackrooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1654 Post by mrblackrooster » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:50 pm

so you think all aboriginal people are like this? f*#k me! how about insted of turning this forum into a ignorant racist rant and back to looking for solutions that dont marginalise and entire race!

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#1655 Post by contractor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 pm

omada wrote:Oh how inconvenient for you all! My heart bleeds, you can't visit the gardens, can't walk back to your bmw or landcruiser, without being reminded, that oh yeah, there are indigenous people. How uncouth they are sitting around in groups, they should be in their swanky inner city, ikea clad apartments sipping a nice Riesling.
Most of us are normal everyday people who want to live a peaceful life without the fear of abuse and threats of violence.
omada wrote: Perhaps your solution would be to house them in Christian missions again? Some sort of camp way from our view.. as unpleasant as it may be, we stole their land, and let us pay this price, this small inconvenience, for many centuries to come.
Perhaps they need to start moving on with their lives, like the rest of us when we have been faced with adversity. After all, it was over 200 years ago and I doubt any of them were fighting on the front line.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1656 Post by Ben » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:13 am

Getting this forum back on topic....

David or Stephen do you know when the Northern side of Rundle Street upgrade will be taking place? There are a lot of new upmarket stores opening and about to open and it looks quite tacky at the moment. :)

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#1657 Post by mooshie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am

mrblackrooster wrote:so you think all aboriginal people are like this? f*#k me! how about insted of turning this forum into a ignorant racist rant and back to looking for solutions that dont marginalise and entire race!
And there is the assumption that because of a comment about a FEW people, that the entire race is being blamed. In all this, people have only stated that this one group is an issue, nowhere has it been said that their entire race is to blame.

this is not about being Aboriginal, Anglo, Asian or whatever, it is about a group of people who cause problems for others continually.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1658 Post by omada » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:34 am

Ok yes a few people have raised the point that just because "we stole their land" it doesn't condone violence, yes I agree. But as naively idealistic my post yesterday was, I was just trying to provide some context as to why there is a problem with some indigenous people. Particularly in Southern Australia, (not so much up North), their culture is largely decimated, their elders are dead, therefore their law is gone, many (not all!) have nothing, no opportunities. I know it seems such a long time ago, but really its only, what 100-150 years? They are still paying for it now. :2cents:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1659 Post by Ben » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:41 am

So back to Adelaide City Council....

Maybe an alternative thread should be started for this discussion?

david
High Rise Poster!

#1660 Post by david » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Ben wrote:Getting this forum back on topic....

David or Stephen do you know when the Northern side of Rundle Street upgrade will be taking place? There are a lot of new upmarket stores opening and about to open and it looks quite tacky at the moment. :)
Lord Mayor Stephen and I ,supported by Cllr Houssam Abiad, are all on to this issue. It will be a matter of whether or not we can succeed in getting it up as a budget priority when we come to the June budget for 2011-2012 projects. It will be competing with a number of other worthwhile projects including Victoria Square, Rundle Mall, Bank St, North Terrace (completion of the work around the War Memorial), Central market, Recreation Hubs in Bonython Park and the North Park Lands - and many other projects! Personally I would support it as a priority in order to give Rundle Street a properly finished look. IMO Too many ACC projects get started but not finished.

David Plumridge
Deputy Lord Mayor.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1661 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 am

Counciller, any news on whether there are plans to upgrade the terrible dodgy pathway on Grenfell/Currie Streets?

I would say it's a high priority.

Thanks

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1662 Post by Ben » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:41 am

crawf wrote:Counciller, any news on whether there are plans to upgrade the terrible dodgy pathway on Grenfell/Currie Streets?

I would say it's a high priority.

Thanks
You might be in luck I've noticed a big section from Pulteney Street up grenfell is being repaved at the moment.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1663 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but in the "Forest of Dreams" they have paved 2 sections of path - and left the major one that runs through the middle (from out the front of the Earl of Aberdeen) a dirt track

seems rather strange.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1664 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but in the "Forest of Dreams" they have paved 2 sections of path - and left the major one that runs through the middle (from out the front of the Earl of Aberdeen) a dirt track

seems rather strange.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1665 Post by metro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:54 pm

capitalist wrote:"Forest of Dreams".
where is this magical place???