News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3361 Post by bits » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:08 am

I think it was the "high end" hotels on the square that complained about noise and disorder. I assume their main clients were not the type that cared for rcc.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3362 Post by ml69 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:25 am

mshagg wrote:I agree the setup at pinky flat looks good, from the glimpse I had walking past the other day.

However if it was bars and eateries located around Victoria square who agitated for the move, I think they'll find it was an exercise in cutting off their noses to spite their faces, as the thousands of revelers visiting RCC are now on the complete other side of town. Vic square precinct will be a ghost town, so have fun trying to get foot traffic in the door :applause:
Having both RCC and Palais set up next to the Torrens will be a good little preview to what the Torrens could be like with permanent activity set up by the waters edge (eg restaurants, cafes, bars, live music etc). I think it will be hugely successful and encourage entrepreneurs to set up some permanent facilities all year round.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3363 Post by Vee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Well!
Will the ACC demolish/alter the dedicated bikeway and return to two traffic lanes, both ways, in Frome St?

Businesses, residents and design experts reject the ACC demolition of Frome St bikeway.

Despite the consultation results, Councillor Anne Moran rejected these, saying it was "fatally flawed from the beginning."
Area councillor Anne Moran told InDaily it was inappropriate to consult on whether to return two lanes of traffic to Frome Street, since the council had already resolved to do so.
InDaily:
http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2017/0 ... emolition/

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3364 Post by Nathan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Yep, all three (or are we up to four now?) reports, all conducted by different firms completely independent of each other, are all flawed. Give me a fucking break.

ChillyPhilly

#3365 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#3366 Post by Waewick » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Surely the state government steps in here. Allowing it to be demolished is akin to gross negligence

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3367 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Why does it seem from the reports that the State Government is invested in returning Frome Street to four lanes (through the cycling co-funding agreement)? I can't see why they would have an interest in such an outcome except if they were planning the tram to venture down there. In that scenario, I imagine having the council wear the opprobrium of ripping up only recently laid infrastructure suits them better than being the target for changes they'd have to make for trams.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3368 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:58 pm

SRW wrote:Why does it seem from the reports that the State Government is invested in returning Frome Street to four lanes (through the cycling co-funding agreement)? I can't see why they would have an interest in such an outcome except if they were planning the tram to venture down there. In that scenario, I imagine having the council wear the opprobrium of ripping up only recently laid infrastructure suits them better than being the target for changes they'd have to make for trams.
The actual route for the City Loop tram has not been finalised yet. It could be going down Hutt Street or Pulteny Street or Frome Street.

Riverbank to Market Link
Details have been released about the Topham Mall upgrade. They can be accessed here:
http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... 2/download

Hindley Street West
The works on the Hindley Street West upgrade have commenced in full swing:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3369 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Norman wrote:
SRW wrote:Why does it seem from the reports that the State Government is invested in returning Frome Street to four lanes (through the cycling co-funding agreement)? I can't see why they would have an interest in such an outcome except if they were planning the tram to venture down there. In that scenario, I imagine having the council wear the opprobrium of ripping up only recently laid infrastructure suits them better than being the target for changes they'd have to make for trams.
The actual route for the City Loop tram has not been finalised yet. It could be going down Hutt Street or Pulteny Street or Frome Street.
Yes, the route for the loop is yet to be finalised/announced. The point of my comment is that a preference of the State Government for Frome Street to returned to four lanes (if true) may be an indication of its preference for using it for the tram.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3370 Post by Eurostar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 pm

The tram should go via Hutt Street because its got lots of cafes and restaurants , later on out to Kingswood.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3371 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:22 pm

bits wrote:I think it was the "high end" hotels on the square that complained about noise and disorder. I assume their main clients were not the type that cared for rcc.
The 'high end' hotel that still has 1980's decor in it's rooms...

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3372 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Nathan wrote:Yep, all three (or are we up to four now?) reports, all conducted by different firms completely independent of each other, are all flawed. Give me a fucking break.
4 reports and Anne Moran knows better than all of them!! good grief!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3373 Post by mshagg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:02 am

Looks like Abiad has gone rogue on Frome St:

http://bicycleinstitutesa.com/2017/03/c ... wakefield/
The essential elements of Councillor Abiad’s motion are that the previous motion to replace the existing bikeway to enable two lanes of peak hour traffic be revoked, and that Council

1, Approves the following detailed design approach for the separated North-South City Bikeway:

1.1 Regent Street North and Frome Street, between Carrington Street and Wakefield Street (2 city blocks) to be one lane of traffic in each direction at all times, with on-street parking at all times, as per the existing configuration.
1.2 Frome Street between Wakefield Street and North Terrace (5 city blocks) to be two lanes of traffic in each direction during peak periods only, and on-street parking at all other times.

That is, the existing Frome Bikeway between Wakefield and Pirie Streets would be replaced with a (thinner) bikeway that would consistent with the design north of Pirie Street.
Pretty transparent attempt at compromise - "oh we're keeping some of it!" (2/5ths of it). I particularly like the bit where he is trying to pass a motion that "ratepayers" be consulted regarding the proposed changes. Maybe this is how he needs to limit the scope of engagement in order to get a result he's happy with? Aligns nicely with the "14% of ratepayers" who are in favour of ripping the bikeway up. ACC administration has politely reminded him that engagement should be with "adjacent owners and occupiers".

So from this we can infer that he's doing the bidding of a "ratepayer" somewhere between Wakefield and Pirie? I had at one stage joked that Enzos were in his pocket but it's becoming a more plausible theory with each episode of this pathetic process lol.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#3374 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Eurostar wrote:The tram should go via Hutt Street because its got lots of cafes and restaurants , later on out to Kingswood.
Hutt St between Pirie and Flinders can't be used for a tram as its used as part of the Adelaide street circuit. For it to be used, one of two things would need to happen;

- The circuit would need to be rerouted. East terrace could be an option to replace Hutt St, but then things like run-off areas become an issue. Either tarmac or gravel would likely need to be placed in Rymill park to provide adequate run-off. A shortened circuit would also be slower, increasing the time needed to run the race, potentially impacting TV coverage.
-The tram uses the western side of the road corridor between Pirie and Flinders. This would mean the circuit would need to be narrowed, with run-off reduced, but it's theoretically possible. A similar thing occurred on the Gold Coast with their tram causing a portion of the circuit to be narrowed. This would then raise the question of how the tram would run along the rest of the corridor? Would it continue using the western side of the road, or would it move to the middle of the road?

Frome St does seem to make sense for the tram. It could be (as others have said) why the Government isn't outwardly criticising the council for the bike lane. This could also be why Abiad is proposing two traffic lanes north of Wakefield, with four to the south. The tram could travel from North Terrace along Frome to Wakefield where it either turns towards Victoria Square, or towards Hutt Street.

I guess only those in DPTI really know..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ChillyPhilly

#3375 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Moran conceding defeat on her original motion.

Plenty of other interesting tidbits.

http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2017/0 ... e-st-vote/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.