News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Dog
High Rise Poster!

News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

#181 Post by Dog » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Ml69, Have to agree I think I and others have suggested it on this forum several times.
But perhaps not grand enough for some.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

#182 Post by SRW » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:36 am

I don't know why people are so attached to the idea that the Governor must move in order for the Government House grounds to be opened to the public. He needn't. There are buildings with higher importance protected without fences, and even if security remains a concern, the compromise I've proposed in this recurring discussion still stands: why not convert the grounds to a gated park that is open during sociable hours (à la Botanic Garden)? Several gates could be punched through the walls at convenient locations to allow passage through the grounds from river to city. Although if the fence were to stay I'd rather it rebuilt to be visually penetrable (ie, an iron fence).
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

#183 Post by Nathan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:48 am

SRW wrote:I don't know why people are so attached to the idea that the Governor must move in order for the Government House grounds to be opened to the public. He needn't. There are buildings with higher importance protected without fences, and even if security remains a concern, the compromise I've proposed in this recurring discussion still stands: why not convert the grounds to a gated park that is open during sociable hours (à la Botanic Garden)? Several gates could be punched through the walls at convenient locations to allow passage through the grounds from river to city. Although if the fence were to stay I'd rather it rebuilt to be visually penetrable (ie, an iron fence).
This