News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Gallerie Arcade

#151 Post by jk1237 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:12 pm

edit: I believe there is a bridal expo inside tomorrow

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#152 Post by Nathan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:10 pm

jk1237 wrote:edit: I believe there is a bridal expo inside tomorrow
From the previous page:
Nathan wrote:It's actually pretty cool inside, in a rundown sort of way.

The Eclective wedding expo will be held in The Gallerie on February 19.
http://www.theeclective.com.au/

Having gone to their inaugural even last year in the Queens Theatre, it's an excellent event, focussed on suppliers for people who don't want a normal run-of-the-mill wedding. (And funnily enough, that's me and my fiancé in the first photograph on the website!)

edison
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#153 Post by edison » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:56 pm

I fondly remember this arcade, particualrly the food court, my mum used to take me there when i was young. My favourite was that shop Prince George mentioned with the plastic oranges in the counter. They served burgers, fries, hotdogs and smoothies, but i don't know what it was called? They covered there fries in this crazy strange chicken salt and there smoothies were out of this world good! The hotdogs however left a lot to be desired, tasted like old burnt rubber shoes. I have asked so many people over the years, yet no seems to remember this place... any more info/photos would be so greatly appreciated.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by Pants » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Just asked someone who worked there as a kid... apparently it went from Orange Julius to Gallerie Burger Bar and lastly, to Hungry Max.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:28 am

My favourite places to eat in there were the reasonably serviceable Japanese place, and the "Chinese Food" place with the ladies who used to proffer tiny deep fried spring rolls taste tests with metre long tongs. "You try! You try!" Very delicious food, went there often in my lunch break.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

edison
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#156 Post by edison » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Thankyou Pants! I don't think they changed the menu (or the decor) at all throughtout the name changes! I seem to remember them serving ridiculously greasy fried chicken also. But that may have been another place in the Gallerie? Orange Julius is a US franchise and explains the origins of the the oranges and the smoothies. Hungry Max rings the bell for me. Sounds totally 1980s and amazingly similar to another fast food chain.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by notmichaeljfox » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 pm

They were starting some sort of work on the Gallerie this morning. I took a couple of quick shots from the bus as I went past.
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG (82.03 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG (93.92 KiB) Viewed 4640 times

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#158 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 am

$300m premium-grade tower for Adelaide
by: Sarah Danckert

ADELAIDE is set to get its first premium-grade office building in more than a decade, with Commercial & General, Maras Group and Le Cordon Bleu joining forces to develop a 20-level mixed-use tower with an end value in excess of $300 million.

International hospitality education institution Le Cordon Bleu group will anchor the tower, taking four levels in the 200 North Terrace development for what will be the French-based company's largest education facility in the world.

Commercial & General managing director Jamie McClurg said all three parties to the joint venture would fund the 32,000sq m development.

"South Australia has not seen a new premium-grade office tower in over a decade," Mr McClurg said. "This is sure to be an iconic building on Adelaide's premier boulevard.

Located close to Government House and the University of Adelaide, the development will include more than 20,000sq m of office space across the upper 10 levels, with retail in the building's three lower levels.

...With Rundle Street retail owner Maras Group on board, the building's retail component is expected to attract several luxury labels.

Mr McClurg said the venture was already in talks with some of the world's biggest retail brands but declined to give further details, citing confidentiality agreements.

The building is scheduled for completion in late 2014 or early 2015.

Adelaide's economy is still in the doldrums, but the city's fortunes are set to be lifted by a rush of resource development, including BHP Billiton's $30 billion expansion of its Olympic Dam uranium and copper mine, and mining exploration in the state continues apace.

"South Australia will be propelled into one of Australia's resource prosperous states, with prominence not only in Australia but globally," Mr McClurg said.

"This economic wealth will be an enormous contribution to South Australia and will trickle down to every South Australian."

Mr McClurg said the venture had already drawn inquiries from national and international corporations interested in setting up an office in the city.

News of the development comes as Adelaide property developer Steve Quinn looks to sell an office tower at 22-28 King William Street.

Mr Quinn purchased the 9640sq m building for about $22m in December 2008 from the MacarthurCook Office Property Trust.

The building is home to National Australia Bank, which signed a 12-year lease on the building in 2010 following a $25m refurbishment.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#159 Post by notmichaeljfox » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am

Scaffolding is going up around Gallerie Arcade and the former Club 199. They must be confident of it going ahead.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#160 Post by Will » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Adelaide's economy is still in the doldrums
It is idiotic comments like these that keep false stereotypes about our city alive.

:wallbash: :toilet:

Waewick

#161 Post by Waewick » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Will wrote:
Adelaide's economy is still in the doldrums
It is idiotic comments like these that keep false stereotypes about our city alive.

:wallbash: :toilet:
well it does depend on what economy he is talking about I guess.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#162 Post by dsriggs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:25 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Image
"Tiffany & Co", you say?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Gallerie Arcade

#163 Post by Howie » Fri May 25, 2012 8:51 am

Hearing reports that LCB are not going to be tenants, this hasn't been confirmed by other sources yet though.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Secret Heritage List

#164 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:34 pm

The below article is from indaily.com.au

click here for the list of 77 impacted buildings, including pictures!

Extract from the above document:

A Development Plan may designate a place as a place of local heritage value if—
  • (a) it displays historical, economic or social themes that are of importance to the local area; or
    (b) it represents customs or ways of life that are characteristic of the local area; or
    (c) it has played an important part in the lives of local residents; or
    (d) it displays aesthetic merit, design characteristics or construction techniques of significance to the local area; or
    (e) it is associated with a notable local personality or event; or
    (f) it is a notable landmark in the area; or
    (g) in the case of a tree (without limiting a preceding paragraph)—it is of special historical or social significance or importance within the local area.
Heritage protection opposed by city property owners

HERITAGE protection for 77 city buildings including Maughan Church, the Edinburgh Castle hotel and significant parts of Hindley and Rundle streets has come under fire from building owners who say it will stifle development.

Of the buildings proposed for local heritage listing by the Adelaide City Council, 59 owners have opposed or partially opposed the move.

They will voice their concerns at special council meetings tonight and tomorrow.

The Maras Group has strongly opposed the listing of three of its Rundle Street East buildings as it would “work against the attainment of the objectives and targets of the Planning Strategy”.

“[The Group] does not believe that additional heritage listings are warranted, either within the Rundle Street East precinct, or within the city as a whole,” Maras said in its submission by consultant Stuart Moseley, from Connor Holmes.

Maras is open to heritage listing the façade of the buildings, but is opposed to other elements including the roof being protected, which would stop future development.

Moseley said that if all proposed properties were heritage listed, 48.8 per cent of the CDB would be affected.

“The compliance burden placed upon property owners by these listings is compounded by the unnecessarily complex and variable listing regime, comprising five different policy categories,” he said.

The proposed 77 buildings are part of 250 buildings that the City Council wants to put on its local heritage list, with the other 173 to be dealt with in a future DPA.

An economic impact report by the council states that the listings would reduce profits generated by businesses by about $21 million, reduce state product by $76 million and result in 1250 fewer city workers over the next 20 years.

Hill Smith Gallery owner Sam Hill-Smith commissioned a report by Ron Danvers Cultural Landscape which said his Pirie Street Gallery did not meet the aesthetic, cultural or architectural requirements required for local heritage listing.

The Hill-Smith family has also bought two adjoining properties on Pirie Street for future consolidation and significant redevelopment.

“Heritage listing of the subject property will have the effect of making this redevelopment less likely to occur, as inclusion of the corner site is critical to achieving the overall aim,” the Hill-Smith submission said.

Property Council executive director Nathan Paine said the likely loss of development opportunity because of the heritage listing was huge.

“I’ve had one member talking about lost development rights that could run into the $10 million mark, which is quite substantial,” he told Indaily.

Paine said if properties were kept for community aesthetic, the community should help pay.

“We all support all sensible heritage listing and maintaining some of what is beautiful about Adelaide. But when we do list properties for community benefit we have to recognise there is a cost to the owner and community should contribute to cost.”

The listing of Maughan Church and Mission on Franklin Street, former home to 5KA, is opposed by the site’s owner Uniting Care, a subsidiary of the Uniting Church.

In its submission, Uniting Care said Maughan was not “particularly prominent to the context of the city, when compared for example to St Peters or St Francis Xavier”.

“While the church does run important mission operations from the centre, this is not evidence of an historical, economical or social theme as required by [heritage criteria].

“We contend that the 1960s ecclesiastical architecture of which the building is an example is not of any specific significance to the local area.”

It disagreed that the church was a “notable local personality”.

“Without questioning the value of the social work undertaken by the Uniting Church, any strong associations that the church would have with the local community would primarily by through the congregation.

“At present the church is without congregation due to dwindling numbers. Accordingly, we do not consider the church to fulfil this criterion.”

Despite the widespread opposition, local and state government bodies have supported the ACC proposals.

The Heritage DPA was endorsed by neighbouring local councils, various government departments and the National Trust.

Prospect principal planner Chris Newby said in a submission: “City of Prospect would like to express its support for this DPA, as it seeks to develop strategies that maintain and improve the rich character, architectural significance and historical value of the Adelaide City Centre, while promoting the conservation and adaptive reuse of heritage places.”

The Art Deco and Modernism Society convenor David O’Loughlin wrote in support of the listing of several buildings including the Laubman and Pank Building at 62-64 Gawler Place.

“The Laubman and Pank building is an excellent example of the adaption and reuse of buildings over a period of 150 years, with the most recent work reviving and releasing the upper level officers,” O’Loughlin said.

“This site incorporates the work of one of states earlier architects and a prominent parliamentarian, George Kingston, Edmund Wright, James Reed and Eric McMichael.”
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]

Re: Secret Heritage List

#165 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 am

There's a few suprises in there that I would have thought would already be heritage listed.

But seriously, the bulk of the proposed heritage listings are just rubbish and aren't worthy of protection at all.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.