News & Discussion: CBD Real Estate & Market Conditions

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Westpac House

#211 Post by rev » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Ah that old piano on the ground floor. I miss the old store, used to go every christmas as a kid with the parents to do christmas shopping. The place was like a wonder land for a kid when they had the santas cave thing and all setup.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

Re: Westpac House

#212 Post by Diamond » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:59 am

rev wrote:...The place was like a wonder land for a kid when they had the santas cave thing and all setup.
Wasn't that in John Martins?
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Article : Adelaide CBD highest net absorption ever

#213 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:28 am

Article in todays Financial review about Adelaide's office market. There are a few big deals looking to be done. Origin Energy are looking for 17.000 sq m and the article says two other tenants are looking for similar requiremnts in the next 6 months. So that gives hope to all these office towers that there are some big deals to be done.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#214 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:49 am

jk1237 wrote:nice to read, is it safe to say the boom is here and happening. On another note, its so nice to see office building focusing in the CBD rather than those horid little offices along Greenhill and Fullarton Rd built during the 80s-90s
Huh? What's wrong with them? There are some really well designed low-rise buildings along there, each with enough carparking for the staff in the building, rents and rates are cheaper than the CBD, outlook is fantastic, streetscape is pleasing - what are you complaining about?
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#215 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 am

rhino wrote:
jk1237 wrote:nice to read, is it safe to say the boom is here and happening. On another note, its so nice to see office building focusing in the CBD rather than those horid little offices along Greenhill and Fullarton Rd built during the 80s-90s
Huh? What's wrong with them? There are some really well designed low-rise buildings along there, each with enough carparking for the staff in the building, rents and rates are cheaper than the CBD, outlook is fantastic, streetscape is pleasing - what are you complaining about?
yeah, i gotta agree with Rhino. Many of the greenhill rd buildings are looking dated. hopefully will be refurb'ed at some point.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#216 Post by Brando » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Wayno wrote:
rhino wrote:
yeah, i gotta agree with Rhino. Many of the greenhill rd buildings are looking dated. hopefully will be refurb'ed at some point.
I would love to see more of these buildings be made into residential.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#217 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Brando wrote:
Wayno wrote: <snip>
Great idea Brando - and environmentally cool as well! lots more people could simply walk across the parklands into the CBD each day. Wouldn't it be great if the Unley council allowed residential towers facing greenhill rd up to 5-6 stories or so...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#218 Post by jk1237 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:17 pm

rhino wrote:
I hate them because the ones built during the 80s and 90s look like crap, and no one uses public transport to get to them. Its based on low density car driving everywhere syndrome. That thing on the cnr of Greenhill Rd/Fullarton Rd (north east cnr) is what Im talking about - Its horrible, NEC building i think. The AGL glass call centre on the other side looks OK, but how many bus routes pass through that intersection - 1 an hour. I was thinking of applying for work there but i thought its just in a stupid spot when u dont rely on the all-mighty automobile.
Theres been quite a few blocks turned into apartments - please continue do the rest

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#219 Post by Brando » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:27 pm

Wayno wrote:
Brando wrote:
Wayno wrote: <snip>
Great idea Brando - and environmentally cool as well! lots more people could simply walk across the parklands into the CBD each day. Wouldn't it be great if the Unley council allowed residential towers facing greenhill rd up to 5-6 stories or so...
There is no reason why this cannot work. Air apartments has been a HUGE success, sure it is a high-rise with some great views, but it's all about location. across the road from the parklands, close to CBD, close to Burnside etc. It would really add to the outskirts of the city feeling alive.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#220 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:58 pm

17,000 square metres for Origin Energy plus 2 other similar requirements, that is a lot of space being demanded and considering the very low vacancy rate we have just reported it will be good to hopefully see some more large pre-committments this year, last year was a bit quiet with only a couple of new announcements.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#221 Post by Omicron » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:01 am

UrbanSG wrote:17,000 square metres for Origin Energy plus 2 other similar requirements, that is a lot of space being demanded and considering the very low vacancy rate we have just reported it will be good to hopefully see some more large pre-committments this year, last year was a bit quiet with only a couple of new announcements.
Origin? Hi, Omi here. Listen - I've got this great building for you. It's on Currie St. and it has this nice big curvy thing on the front.....

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#222 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Omicron wrote:
UrbanSG wrote:17,000 square metres for Origin Energy plus 2 other similar requirements, that is a lot of space being demanded and considering the very low vacancy rate we have just reported it will be good to hopefully see some more large pre-committments this year, last year was a bit quiet with only a couple of new announcements.
Origin? Hi, Omi here. Listen - I've got this great building for you. It's on Currie St. and it has this nice big curvy thing on the front.....
Exactly what I was thinking. These 3 companies with 17,000 square metres = 3/4 of the Currie Street Tower.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#223 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:27 pm

From yesterday's AFR:

Mants
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by Mants » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:05 pm

crawf wrote:And Glen Osmond Road, theres currently a 2 level building under construction.
someone up the road from me is also doing renovations.

just if anyone's interested.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#Article: 10,000 new homes vision

#225 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:12 pm

From The Messenger:
10,000 new homes vision

Chris Day

12Feb08

LORD Mayor Michael Harbison wants a return to ``Playford's Housing Trust'' to help build 10,000 new city houses by 2018.

``I'd like to see at least 1000 new homes built a year over the next 10 to 20 years,'' he said.

``In the broader terms, we're looking for another 15 to 20,000 people (living in the city). The answer there is a new version of (Thomas) Playford's Housing Trust, where homes are built for key workers.''

Mr Harbison said a demand for an on-going stream of affordable housing for city workers could not be met by the private sector alone.

``The private sector will build a certain amount, inevitably for owner-occupiers or rental at the top end but what they are missing out on is the other half of the market the affordable rental market.''

He said this housing should be funded by the Federal and State governments, the City Council and investment from cashed-up superannuation funds.

The houses and apartments could be rented at 75 percent of their market value, which would still make money, Mr Harbison said.

``It will be a transformation and will provide the vigour that everybody wants in terms of economic viability, a buzz on the streets and giving young people the chance to take part in city life.''

Areas the Lord Mayor identified as suitable for infill housing included along Angas St and the north-west corner.

The inner-city's population rose about 3500 to about 16,500 in 2001-2006 a growth rate nearly five times the national average, according to the 2006 Census.

Housing Minister Jay Weatherill said the essence of government's housing plan was ``to get back into the business of affordable housing''.

He said the government wanted to develop a number of sites with the City Council, such as the council's Sturt St car park but negotiations had been ``hard going''.

``It's hard work and if the Lord Mayor is genuine about this I'd be very pleased but at this point the level of commitment has been inadequate,'' Mr Weatherill said.

``The city is developing at the moment and if we're not careful only the rich will be able to live there.''
Last edited by Ben on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.