North Adelaide Golf Course

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

North Adelaide Golf Course

#1 Post by Wayno » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Being a NAGC member this topic is close to my heart. Metropolitan golf courses are nearly always cash generating machines, if the course is kept up to scratch. Truly a case of 'manicure it and they will come'. So i'm heartened to see the ACC is looking at development opportunities.
Bid to revamp North Adelaide Golf Links

MORE car parking, expanding the clubhouse into a function centre and new toilets are among ideas to improve the City Council's under-performing golf links.

A consultant's review of the North Adelaide Golf Links, which includes the north, south and par-three courses, paints a poor picture of the operation. The review, considered by councillors last week, says:

THE public links have run at a loss of close to $1 million over the past four years;

THE number of rounds played has dropped from 95,000 to 65,000 a year over the past decade; and

THE $750,000 maintenance budget is less than half the national average and poor presentation of the courses is "a major contributor to the decline in rounds played".

Club secretary Bob Naffin said the most pressing need was to expand the nearby carpark, which was also used by people visiting Calvary Hospital across the road.

Among the review's short-term recommendations were more efficient use of staff to improve course presentation, promoting online bookings by offering discounts and a marketing plan for twilight golf.

The council is set to spend $20,000 on a business case study for expanding the clubhouse. The masterplan process is slated for 2013-14. Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said a clubhouse upgrade might include a restaurant.

He said the council needed to balance improving the financial performance of the golf links with ensuring the courses remained affordable and accessible to the public.

NAGC president Andrew Craig said members would be surveyed about what changes they wanted.
A function room is a great idea. The views back over the city are stunning. If i remember i'll take my camera along this coming Saturday morning.

http://www.nagc.org.au/
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: North Adelaide Golf Course

#2 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:51 pm

I think this is good. Given that it effectively leads on from the "riverbank precinct" - an upgrade would tick off yet another piece of the puzzle. I see there's also talk from the council of improvements to War Memorial Drive through the golf course, removing the muddy sides that have become defacto car parks, putting in better parking & edging, and putting in some parking controls (whether it's paid parking or time limits). Along with the clubhouse, it would be good to see some landscaping improvements, particularly along the edges of the course that are seen to the public. Make it something to be really proud of.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Nathan wrote:Along with the clubhouse, it would be good to see some landscaping improvements, particularly along the edges of the course that are seen to the public. Make it something to be really proud of.
I'm often searching for my lost ball along War Memorial Drive, sometimes needing to cross the road. I'd personally benefit from improved landscaping ;-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by rhino » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Wayno wrote: A function room is a great idea. The views back over the city are stunning.
I'm surprised to hear that there isn't a function room, as that is where my wife and I had our wedding reception, back in the day. Maybe that was in the actual clubrooms. Certainly a stunning venue, anyway!
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 pm

rhino wrote:I'm surprised to hear that there isn't a function room, as that is where my wife and I had our wedding reception, back in the day. Maybe that was in the actual clubrooms. Certainly a stunning venue, anyway!
It's poorly organised at present. The Pro shop has the stunning views, and there's a small corner to sit & have a drink with a view. The club room (where members linger after their round to discuss the finer points of golf, and drink beer) are inappropriately in a dark view-less corner of the building. All quite odd.