[U/C] SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#526 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:13 pm

I think the building is fine, but other things around it must complement it in the future.
I remember how thoroughly i felt joy as a child, unfortunately she's no longer my baby sitter.

User avatar
slenderman
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:44 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 211 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#527 Post by slenderman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:50 pm
Why?
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say rev doesn't care for the light brown concrete colour. It is reflective of the whole area prior to the Festival Centre/Plaza upgrade. Coupled with the lack of activation in the vicinity, the brown concreted ground found all over that area was uninviting to look at and spend time in.

I personally neither love nor hate the building. I'm not a fan of the colour, but it has an interesting octagonal shape. It obviously lacks integration at ground level, but in my opinion (which I think others have also said in the past), the main problem is that it, the Riverside Centre and now the Convention Centre all have and continue to block access to the Riverbank from North Terrace, which makes it harder to activate the area with bars/restaurants, as access from the south is a bit of an issue.

I'm not sure if there's much possibility to improve this with the current configuration of buildings in the area, nor is it likely to occur in the foreseeable future. But maybe access to the area will improve with the redesign of Station Road and the removal of that narrow little footbridge, which certainly didn't help.

Patrick_27
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 163 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#528 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:36 pm

slenderman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:19 pm
Nathan wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:50 pm
Why?
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say rev doesn't care for the light brown concrete colour. It is reflective of the whole area prior to the Festival Centre/Plaza upgrade. Coupled with the lack of activation in the vicinity, the brown concreted ground found all over that area was uninviting to look at and spend time in.

I personally neither love nor hate the building. I'm not a fan of the colour, but it has an interesting octagonal shape. It obviously lacks integration at ground level, but in my opinion (which I think others have also said in the past), the main problem is that it, the Riverside Centre and now the Convention Centre all have and continue to block access to the Riverbank from North Terrace, which makes it harder to activate the area with bars/restaurants, as access from the south is a bit of an issue.

I'm not sure if there's much possibility to improve this with the current configuration of buildings in the area, nor is it likely to occur in the foreseeable future. But maybe access to the area will improve with the redesign of Station Road and the removal of that narrow little footbridge, which certainly didn't help.
I have same problems with the building as rev. With the building itself it can be as simple as a paint job (tacky but simple). However I think the better option (before it's possibly too late) would be to gut the lower levels and build a three/four story building for the casino that takes up the space in-front of the Inter Continental, the Riverside Building footprint and the footprint; clad the existing high-rise element and there you have it. the state government offices taking up the Riverside Building could easily be relocated. In fact, wouldn't it be cool if the State Admin Centre on Vic Square was taken over by those departments in Riverside and them the Premier, cabinet and opposition cabinet offices were moved into the upper levels of the Railway Station; bringing them within the Parliament House precinct.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6313
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 823 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#529 Post by Ben » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Update from Skycity today

https://youtu.be/I7udj8rylIA

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6313
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 823 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#530 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 am

Tenders are in todays paper :banana: :banana: :banana:

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5465
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 286 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#531 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:31 am

Ben wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 am
Tenders are in todays paper :banana: :banana: :banana:
Chicken Tenders with BBQ sauce available in the Cafe Junction?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 am
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 8 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#532 Post by Smithy85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Interesting to see Multiplex in the mix for this..

Jaymz
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 51 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#533 Post by Jaymz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Smithy85 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 pm
Interesting to see Multiplex in the mix for this..
Well that's a good thing. A reputable, serious company that was a household name in W.A when I lived there during the mining boom.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 am
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 8 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 12 lvls | 53m | $330m

#534 Post by Smithy85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm
Smithy85 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 pm
Interesting to see Multiplex in the mix for this..
Well that's a good thing. A reputable, serious company that was a household name in W.A when I lived there during the mining boom.
I agree. I lost count of how many sites I went past in Melbourne on the weekend that they were building.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1445
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 57 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#535 Post by ghs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Skycity will finally announce the builder at some point over the next week.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6313
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 823 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#536 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:29 am

Skycity announced as part of a market update the tender process is nearing completion. Work will start before end of this financial year (next few months).

User avatar
timtam20292
Legendary Member!
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:03 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 123 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#537 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 am

Gosh this has dragged on but happy to know that work will start soon.

Tek Screw
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:33 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#538 Post by Tek Screw » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:46 am

Has anyone else heard that the short list for this was:
- Multiplex
- Lend Lease
- Hansen Yuncken

With Hansen Yuncken winning the contract.
I think it was in Saturdays paper.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6313
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 823 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#539 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Tek Screw wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:46 am
Has anyone else heard that the short list for this was:
- Multiplex
- Lend Lease
- Hansen Yuncken

With Hansen Yuncken winning the contract.
I think it was in Saturdays paper.
According to the announcement today no decision has been made yet.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 am
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 64 times

[U/C] Re: SkyCity Adelaide Casino Expansion | 55m | 12 Levels | Hotel

#540 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 pm

lendlease specifically took the carpark job at a very low profit margin to put themselves ahead of the pack for the other 'stages' of this project. They'll be annoyed if they don't get it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], mattblack, Nort and 11 guests