[COM] 1 King William St | Facade Upgrade | $12m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
spiller
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: 1 King William St | Facade Upgrade | $12m

#16 Post by spiller » Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Well aren't you all a bunch of paranoid naysayers?? How can anyone draw a conclusion as to what the upgrades will look like from the very poorly detailed render in the OP?

I'll reserve my judgement til I see some more renders. I too am a fan of this building in its current state for the record.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Pants » Thu May 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Trust me, it's not good.

build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by build 'em smarter » Thu May 30, 2013 5:40 pm

all good spiller! I'm not fussed either way to be honest I just like the irony.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 pm

For those of you playing at home, here's a pic from today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369905874.186743.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369905874.186743.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 6696 times

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by claybro » Thu May 30, 2013 9:50 pm

SRW wrote:I find the existing façade quite pleasant too, but if the building's being made more energy efficient in the process then the upgrade's not such a bad thing. I just hope the investment here prompts the Stamford next door to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak...
Re the Stamford. One of the ugliest buildings in Adelaide. All that cream brick :( ...looks it was built by AV Jennings.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by spiller » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:00 pm

build 'em smarter wrote:all good spiller! I'm not fussed either way to be honest I just like the irony.
no worries mate, I didn't see your comment there when I posted, was more referring to everyone else's over-reaction. you do raise a valid point though :)

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#22 Post by Hybrid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Commencement of the upgrade has been delayed slightly due to work currently being undertaken next door in front of Saldechin.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#23 Post by rev » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Surely there is a proper render and not a sketch available?

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#24 Post by Hybrid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Update

Work will now begin on the facade upgrade on Saturday (8th of June) and take approx 12 months, now that ACC have completed their footpath repairs.

Gresham Place will be closed to pedestrians and vehicles for the duration of the work.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by baytram366 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember reading an article about this building from when it was built and I am sure it mentioned that the facade cladding is marble. Is this correct?
I really like the old AMP building in its current form. Pity that its changing. Hopefully it will look better but you can't get much better than grand 1960's style IMO
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#26 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:16 pm

I remember growing up at Henley Beach in the 60s, when this was Adelaide's tallest building. I could walk down the street to Henley Beach Road, and this building looked like it was right at the end of the road. Of course the road turned at the S bend, but I couldn't see that from 4 feet off the ground at the Military Road junction! All I could see was the AMP building, which back then was considered a sky scraper! :)
cheers,
Rhino

IAintTouchin
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by IAintTouchin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm back again, still travelling around, i've kept an eye on this forum, about once a month.

This topic interests me, here's a pic of when this building was constructed:

Isn't that interesting?
I am iTouch

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by Shahkar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 pm

mgb wrote:I noticed last week they were trying out a small section of cladding on the side that faces the alley way to see what it looked like. Sorry I didn't get a photo at the time.

It appeared to be the bog standard aluminium cladding used everywhere, which at the time I thought seemed a bit sad given the building itself doesn't look too bad as is.

mgb
I think I saw this today from the tram. Looked pretty good to me :)

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#29 Post by Hybrid » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 am

Awesome eco work being done at the building,
There are a number of philosophies that will mitigate building emissions and the approach currently being undertaken at 1 King William Street in Adelaide by the design team, including NDY on behalf of Anvil Capital, demonstrates a proactive example of adaptive re-use for a substantial existing commercial building. This high profile commercial tower was constructed in 1965 and has an NLA in excess of 18,000 sqm. This existing building currently performs as a 2-star NABERS building however the design team including NDY are developing a suite of sustainable strategies that can deliver a 5-Star NABERS, 4.5 Star Green Star performance. The proposals have been developed on the principle of multiple small improvements and can be delivered for significantly less capital cost than demolishing the existing building and constructing a new one on the same site.
The sustainable philosophies proposed for the existing building are integrated to complement the building's operation and energy load-mapping. During the cold winter months the gas-fired micro-turbines will generate heating and domestic hot-water for the building through heat recovery of the waste, flue-gas while the off-grid generated electricity will supply the large air-handling unit base-load at significantly less carbon intensity than drawing an equivalent amount of electricity from the local grid. During the warm summer months the waste heat from the gas-fired micro-turbines will produce cooling via an absorption chiller reducing the electrical cooling demand on the building, the off-grid generated electricity will supply the large air-handling units and roof-mounted photo-voltaics will assist with the building's electrical demand during the period when the electrical (cooling) demand is at its greatest.
New solar shading devices are proposed on the building's north façade and these will reduce the overall heat gain and subsequent peak cooling load during the summer while still allowing the building's tenants an un-obscured view of the sky. Re-sealing the existing single-glazed windows and providing additional insulation to the external façade will improve the buildings thermal heat loss/gain performance and reduce the effect of unwelcome infiltration.
Last edited by Hybrid on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by bm7500 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Oh dear...is it 1983 again? :shock:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA