[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Former RAH Site (Design Competition)

#331 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Renewal SA are running a survey on the future of the old RAH site - closes 5pm on 16th May.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6WSBJSD

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#332 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Renewal SA are running a survey on the future of the old RAH site - closes 5pm on 16th May.

Bit of a do nothing marketing survey.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002

#333 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:04 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:Renewal SA are running a survey on the future of the old RAH site - closes 5pm on 16th May.

Bit of a do nothing marketing survey.
Yeah, I posted the link before I'd completed the survey. Was a bit surprised when the 'Survey completed' page came up after only one page.

Still, have added a few comments - in particular around the retention of the facade of the Eleanor Harrald building on Frome Road and in support of a modern art gallery somewhere on the site.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#334 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am

Getting straight into it.
Summary of matters for consent of decision
Description of Proposed Development: Stage 1 demolition works of the NRAH (Hone, Cobalt and East Wings)
Application Type: DAC - Other
Application Status: CATEGORISED
Land Use/Building Consent: No
Lodgement Date: 27 Jun 2017
Description of Subject Land
Address: Old Royal Adelaide Hospital

Llessur2002

#335 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 am

Ben wrote:Getting straight into it.
Description of Proposed Development: Stage 1 demolition works of the NRAH (Hone, Cobalt and East Wings)
Got to get rid of it before March in case the Libs get in and decide it should be tarted up as a private hospital for politically conservative veterans...
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#336 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 am

So is there a final proposal for this? Am I late to the party on this one?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#337 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 am

Nothing public, but i'm sure behind closed doors there is something. I believe the Mercure have signed some memorandum of understanding or something.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#338 Post by rev » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:56 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Ben wrote:Getting straight into it.
Got to get rid of it before March in case the Libs get in and decide it should be tarted up as a private hospital for politically conservative veterans...
Renovating part of it to provide certain public hospital services wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Waewick

#339 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:53 am

I hope we get the museum part.

It feels like something we need to raise public donations for.

Llessur2002

#340 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 am

Could be interesting...
Tent hotel to be opened on old Royal Adelaide Hospital rooftop, SA Government says

The South Australian Government is hoping a luxury rooftop tent hotel will help keep the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site active during its redevelopment.

The old hospital site will be left empty today as SA Health completes its three-day move of staff and patients to the new hospital.

Urban Development Minister Stephen Mullighan said 14 canvas tents would be placed on the old hospital rooftop and helipad later in the year.

Mr Mullighan said the tent hotel would be run by a Victorian group which charges more than $400 a night for the experience in Melbourne.

"It's been extremely successful in the high-rise buildings of the Melbourne CBD and it's something we're bringing to Adelaide," Mr Mullighan said.

"We want people experiencing particularly some of the old beautiful heritage buildings, and also keeping people around that part of the city to continue providing a boost to the East End."

Mr Mullighan also promised to reveal more details in the coming days about the overall plan to redevelop the site.

The Government previously announced about a third of the hospital site would be returned to the Botanic Gardens, with developers set to transform the remaining heritage buildings into a research and cultural precinct.

The site will also house new multi-storey apartment buildings.

It could take four years and cost $150 million to demolish several buildings at the old hospital.
From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-06/t ... atenews_sa

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#341 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Old RAH demolition starts in November
DEMOLITION of the old Royal Adelaide Hospital will start in November, as a redevelopment begins to hand back land to the Botanic Garden and build a new hotel and private apartments.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 60d249c9a0
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Algernon

#342 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 pm

The video from that article above has a huge apartment complex proposed behind it. Is that the real deal or is it old? Also found this from June, could be a 23 storey apartment tower in there.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-05/d ... ys/8591162

Algernon

#343 Post by Algernon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:52 pm

And then here it's 14 storeys:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... c29e28fac1

And nimby whinge about making the whole site parklands. Because there just isn't enough parklands.

Patrick_27

#344 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 pm

Algernon wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:52 pm
And then here it's 14 storeys:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... c29e28fac1

And nimby whinge about making the whole site parklands. Because there just isn't enough parklands.
I find it funny how you try to belittle those whose views differ from your own with the whole 'nimby whinge'. I wouldn't call trying to keep reclaimed public space OPEN to the public as a 'whinge'. This whole mentality from the state government that "if we put 1,000 apartments in there those people will uphold the economy of the east end", tell me, how often do you go out for a meal or to see a film? OR how often do you buy a coffee in the morning? They're idiots if they think that housing is going to provide the area with a spending population...

Llessur2002

#345 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 pm
This whole mentality from the state government that "if we put 1,000 apartments in there those people will uphold the economy of the east end", tell me, how often do you go out for a meal or to see a film? OR how often do you buy a coffee in the morning? They're idiots if they think that housing is going to provide the area with a spending population...
I live next to the row of shops and cafes on Queen Street in Croydon. The wife and I (often taking friends or family) eat dinner out generally once a week, eat breakfast out at least once a week :oops: and buy cakes/coffee from Red Door at least once a week too. I've also lost track of the number of impulse furniture purchases we've made from Hype & Seek. I don't think we're unique for the area.

If I lived in an apartment right next to the east end shops and cafes I'd likely do all of the above even more frequently. Plus, if the wife had her way, we'd be at the cinema at least once a week too. Jesus, if they had a place selling baklava 24/7 like they do in Melbourne then I'd probably be there every single night.

I reckon there's good merit to having a permanent residential population to support the east end businesses. Why else would you move there if it wasn't for the lifestyle and convenience?