[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[SWP] Re: Former RAH Site (Design Competition)

#346 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:57 am

I don't like the idea of apartments in the parklands. We have one of the most under developed CBD's in Australia. There is not exactly a shortage of development sites. Leave the parklands for parklands or buildings in which are open to the public.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#347 Post by slenderman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:15 am

I would agree with Ben, and to a slightly lesser extent Patrick's sentiments. We have such a huge, relatively underdeveloped CBD. Access to this area should be kept for the people.

Another thing; as can be seen in the video in that article, I just don't understand why they're getting rid of the Eleanor Harrald building. One of the other old buildings has the "Knowledge and Innovation Quarter" sit above it, so why can't they do the same with this building? How many other Art Deco buildings like that one do we have?

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#348 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:05 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 am
I live next to the row of shops and cafes on Queen Street in Croydon. The wife and I (often taking friends or family) eat dinner out generally once a week, eat breakfast out at least once a week :oops: and buy cakes/coffee from Red Door at least once a week too. I've also lost track of the number of impulse furniture purchases we've made from Hype & Seek. I don't think we're unique for the area.

If I lived in an apartment right next to the east end shops and cafes I'd likely do all of the above even more frequently. Plus, if the wife had her way, we'd be at the cinema at least once a week too. Jesus, if they had a place selling baklava 24/7 like they do in Melbourne then I'd probably be there every single night.

I reckon there's good merit to having a permanent residential population to support the east end businesses. Why else would you move there if it wasn't for the lifestyle and convenience?
Just to clarify - I'm not necessarily saying that's it's a great idea to use this space for residential purposes, just that I don't believe the argument that having 1000 apartments here won't do anything to help east end businesses.

Ideally I'd love to see this entire site redeveloped for community purposes - an extension of the botanic gardens, a modern art gallery, an open air performance space etc etc. I don't really mind the innovation hub or even the idea of a hotel. I am a little surprised as to quite how much of the site has been slated for residential buildings to be honest.

However, I think a return to open parklands as some people (not necessarily on this forum) are advocating would be a massive wasted opportunity.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#349 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:12 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 pm
...This whole mentality from the state government that "if we put 1,000 apartments in there those people will uphold the economy of the east end", tell me, how often do you go out for a meal or to see a film? OR how often do you buy a coffee in the morning? They're idiots if they think that housing is going to provide the area with a spending population.
I live in the East End and I and my neighbours do often go out for a meal, grab a coffee and so on. If it's just downstairs, the temptation is great. (Although I must admit I don't see that many movies. Not my thing.)

Proper mixed use is the only hope for the site. There needs to be a night time population of residents and hotel users as well as a daytime population of high school, arts/museum/offices/whatever else to support the East End businesses. They are going into a tough time now, with all the road works and buildings going up affecting business.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#350 Post by Norman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:31 am

No high-rise residential development on old RAH site, say Liberals
Jade Gailberger, The Advertiser
10 minutes ago

THERE will be no high-rise residential development on the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site if the Liberal Party wins the election, says Opposition leader Steven Marshall.

Mr Marshall is demanding the Weatherill Government also abandon the plans.

“The old RAH development should become a beacon for locals and tourists, generating jobs and prosperity for generations to come,” he said.

“Stacking massive housing towers on this important site is a lazy and arrogant option.

“I want to ensure this site is used to create jobs for South Australians and stimulate activity for the existing businesses in Adelaide’s East End.”

Mr Marshall is expected to announce his plans for the site closer to next year’s State Election but The Advertiser understands it could involve a potential space for start-ups and entrepreneurs.

“The seven hectare site will fulfil its rich potential with the right mixture of integrated commercial and cultural developments,” he said.

“We have to look beyond construction jobs that would be created at the beginning ... and focus on the jobs of the future. With the right form of development, the old RAH will become a jewel in Adelaide’s crown.”

Demolition of the old RAH is set to begin in November, but it could take up to two decades to overhaul the site.

A portion of land is to be returned to the Adelaide Botanic Garden, with a hotel and private apartments planned on the prime piece of North Tce.

Urban Development Minister Stephen Mullighan this week said negotiations were ongoing with the selected developers. He will likely accuse Mr Marshall of holding multiple positions on the site as last November he backed mixed-use including residential.

Labor also likely will highlight Mr Marshall’s backing for student and short-term accommodation to support university facilities.

However, Lord Mayor Martin Haese welcomed Mr Marshall’s announcement.

“Council remains staunchly opposed to high-density residential development currently planned for the site,” he said.

“I am concerned that not only will this fail the ‘public land, public benefit’ test, but it will also seriously jeopardise the level of private investment in the city, by competing with ... projects already under way.”

Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association president Shane Sody was “delighted the Liberal Party has made housing on parklands an election issue”.

“For 180 years, no government has dared privatise parklands for residential development ... one is one too many,” he said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 18a3ac2c0d

Interesting proposal from the Liberals, but would this new "entrepreneurial hub" be a public or private development?

Hope to see some more solid plans out closer to the election.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#351 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:18 am

Excuse my stupidity but the video in the above link is for the Labour proposal yeah? I like it! I love the idea of the tourism/arts hub. I especially love the design on the apartments. I would love to see this dense style placed in other areas of the city and inner suburbs. Very cool, IMO.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#352 Post by Ben » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Seriously libs are a bunch of parrots. An innovation hub? Like the one at Tonsley? Or the one labor are proposing at the old Holden site? Seriously stop copying and come up with something unique, new and relevant.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#353 Post by Honey of a City » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Marshall can bag all he likes but until he comes up with an alternative proposal it's all wind.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#354 Post by SRW » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 am

He'll probably end up going Hamilton-Smith-lite and propose a new stadium...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#355 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 am

Billion-dollar deal to redevelop old Royal Adelaide Hospital collapses
Daniel Wills, State Political Editor, The Advertiser

A $1 BILLION deal to redevelop the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site has collapsed, as the State Government takes back control and returns to the drawing board.

TheAdvertiser.com.au can reveal the Government will today announce it will not reach agreement with a consortium including developers Commercial and General and john Holland.

It comes almost a year after Premier Jay Weatherill revealed flashy artists’ impressions of the rebuild that was to include 1200 new private apartments and expanded Botanic Gardens.

It also featured a new hotel and there has been a new contemporary art gallery proposed.

Serious dangers to the deal were first revealed by The Advertiser’s Off the Record section in June, as it became clear there was a Cabinet split over the best way to handle the site.

It is understood the collapse of the deal with Commercial and General will result in a Government-led and staged development that permits multiple companies to be involved.

The new model with mirror the land division and development conducted at Bowden.

It is understood new uses on the site will include student, aged and short-term accommodation as the number of dwellings is cut in half to 600.

It is also believed the Government will buy intellectual property from Commercial and General that was gained in advancing its plans.

Sticking points in the deal are said to be a push from the developer to further increase maximum building heights and the Government’s desire to change the payment structure so that it would receive more of the purchase cost up front rather than spread over time.

Mr Weatherill yesterday said he expected to make an announcement on a new art gallery very soon, and money was included in the State Budget to assess its viability.

The Government will hold a press conference about the old RAH site at 11.30 today.

Sources close to the failed deal say there was also substantial bad blood between the Government and Commercial and General over the botched sale of the State Administration Centre on Victoria Square.

The SAC houses the offices of senior ministers including Mr Weatherill was to be sold to the company, but it was unable to raise the money needed.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 782206eb4e

Oh dear! I was afraid this would happen with Commercial and General in charge. Let's hope something will be salvaged!

Nathan

#356 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 am

Following the Bowden model is not a bad thing, although it will likely take longer to develop the whole site. I think it would be wise to fast-track the public facilities though — the art gallery, concert hall and the areas to be turned over to the botanic gardens.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#357 Post by zippySA » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 am

This really must go down as one of the greatest government mis-management fiasco's in SA history. This site was confirmed as being vacant in 2009 when they signed the new RAH contract - and they have even had an extra 18 months to prepare, and now, less than a month after moving out - we have nothing confirmed except that tax-payers will be footing an enormous bill to demolish and clear the site (I thought when announced that "tax-payers will not pay a cent for this magnificent development" or words to that effect).
My guess is nothing will happen now until after March 2018 when we figure out who is in power (Libs, Labour or Nick X) and then they can start planning something real.

I remain totally opposed to residential on this site though so am not overly disappointed to see 1200+ apartment deal fall over. We have an entire square mile of CBD including the entire S-W quadrant and more that could be developed for 100+ years for residential, without permanently creating apartments oddly placed outside of the square mile. Construct civic buildings by all means, but not residential.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#358 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 am

zippySA wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 am
This really must go down as one of the greatest government mis-management fiasco's in SA history. This site was confirmed as being vacant in 2009 when they signed the new RAH contract - and they have even had an extra 18 months to prepare, and now, less than a month after moving out - we have nothing confirmed except that tax-payers will be footing an enormous bill to demolish and clear the site (I thought when announced that "tax-payers will not pay a cent for this magnificent development" or words to that effect).
I'm pretty sure taxpayers were always going to pay for the clean up cost.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#359 Post by GrowAdelaide » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm

zippySA wrote:
My guess is nothing will happen now until after March 2018 when we figure out who is in power (Libs, Labour or Nick X) and then they can start planning something real.

I remain totally opposed to residential on this site though so am not overly disappointed to see 1200+ apartment deal fall over. We have an entire square mile of CBD including the entire S-W quadrant and more that could be developed for 100+ years for residential, without permanently creating apartments oddly placed outside of the square mile. Construct civic buildings by all means, but not residential.
Yes I have to say I'm swaying to that idea as well. Walking around the S-W quadrant there are endless run-down sites that could be utilised for housing projects. Not happy that we're back to square one after all this time. Some kind of crowd-puller back to the East End required.

Algernon

#360 Post by Algernon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:33 pm

zippySA wrote:
This really must go down as one of the greatest government mis-management fiasco's in SA history.
Not even a pimple on the butt of the state bank collapse or the sale of ETSA for nothing