[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#706 Post by rev » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:37 am

Silicone Valley has Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, BMW tech, NASA, Lockheed Martin, Carnegie Mellon University, and many tech and pharma companies.
All those big tech companies though have other facilities around the USA, and the world.

Yes, that's right there's a company here that makes parts for the F35.
We were the car manufacturing centre of Australia. We should have been aiming to become the tech centre of Australia, but unfortunately Melbourne has beaten us to it.
Melbourne's digital economy is worth $51 billion, and there's over 20 major US tech companies that have based their Australia or Asia-Pacific headquarters in Melbourne.
Doesn't mean we can't get on board and grow the digital economy.
This is the next "industrial" revolution. It's still in it's early stages. We haven't missed the boat.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#707 Post by Pistol » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm

Lockheed Martin opened up its new building late last year.
Raytheon is building a new purpose built building at Mawson Lakes.
Naval Group is retrofitting the Port Adelaide TAFE.
Imagine if those three big players set up in LOT 14 alone. Between the, there would be over 1000 highly paid, well educated employees.
Opportunity lost...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#708 Post by how good is he » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:22 pm

I don’t quite understand the argument as what is to say there wont be 1000 or more highly paid, well educated employees just working for other companies in Lot 14 anyway?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#709 Post by claybro » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Pistol wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm
Imagine if those three big players set up in LOT 14 alone. Between the, there would be over 1000 highly paid, well educated employees.
Opportunity lost...
Cant have everyone focused in the CBD. Port Adelaide badly needs a higher skills base of jobs to broaden the demographic of the area. Mawson Lakes likewise so it doesn't become just another suburban wasteland. The most vibrant cities of the world like Berlin etc are multi centered with high and low skilled industries scattered in multiple hubs.

SBD

#710 Post by SBD » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 pm
Pistol wrote:
Opportunity lost...
Cant have everyone focused in the CBD. Port Adelaide badly needs a higher skills base of jobs to broaden the demographic of the area. Mawson Lakes likewise so it doesn't become just another suburban wasteland. The most vibrant cities of the world like Berlin etc are multi centered with high and low skilled industries scattered in multiple hubs.
I agree with Claybro.
Rev had a long list of Silicon Valley companies, but they aren't all centred in one small block of low-rise buildings.

I see more value in Adelaide becoming like "Silicon Valley" if the entire urban area is high-tech. Why have 1000 highly paid, well educated employees sharing one or two lunch cafes when there could be 10,000 or 100,000 scattered across the entire metro area, including Tonsley, Mawson Lakes, Osborne, Lot 14, Edinburgh, Thebarton, several university precincts.

Lot 14 is not a spot for headquarters of large companies, it is (or should be) an incubator for entrepreneurs and small start-ups with novel ideas. The goal would be to become large enough you need to move out.

rev

#711 Post by rev » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am

SBD wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 pm
claybro wrote:
Pistol wrote:
Opportunity lost...
I agree with Claybro.
Rev had a long list of Silicon Valley companies, but they aren't all centred in one small block of low-rise buildings.

I see more value in Adelaide becoming like "Silicon Valley" if the entire urban area is high-tech. Why have 1000 highly paid, well educated employees sharing one or two lunch cafes when there could be 10,000 or 100,000 scattered across the entire metro area, including Tonsley, Mawson Lakes, Osborne, Lot 14, Edinburgh, Thebarton, several university precincts.

Lot 14 is not a spot for headquarters of large companies, it is (or should be) an incubator for entrepreneurs and small start-ups with novel ideas. The goal would be to become large enough you need to move out.
Well of course they aren't centred in a block of buildings but spread out over a sizeable area, Google alone takes up a shit load of room out there.
But we have to start somewhere don't we? Our national space agency is headquartered there, why not have as many space tech firms & startups headquartered there as well?

SBD

#712 Post by SBD » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:36 am

rev wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am
SBD wrote:
claybro wrote:

I agree with Claybro.

Well of course they aren't centred in a block of buildings but spread out over a sizeable area, Google alone takes up a shit load of room out there.
But we have to start somewhere don't we? Our national space agency is headquartered there, why not have as many space tech firms & startups headquartered there as well?
Yes, Lot 14 seems to be shaping up as the Space precinct, and it is a good spot for high-tech startup, but we need to think about the entire city as being high tech, rather than saying it only happens there. Lot 14 as an incubator, not a destination.

rev

#713 Post by rev » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:45 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:36 am
rev wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am
SBD wrote:

I agree with Claybro.

Yes, Lot 14 seems to be shaping up as the Space precinct, and it is a good spot for high-tech startup, but we need to think about the entire city as being high tech, rather than saying it only happens there. Lot 14 as an incubator, not a destination.
If you read my posts, you'll see I'm suggesting making it the hub of headquarters. You wouldn't throw in high tech/advanced manufacturing facilities there.
Going a little off topic, I suppose the Port would be ideal for being made into a defence hub with the nearby empty land at Gillman being offered for r&d and manufacturing facilities.
Personally I still think the dump and recycling facilities should all be moved out of the metro area to the outskirts, and that entire area some 5sq km I believe, could be used even for the space industry to setup facilities.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#714 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:45 pm

Really like this new signage but looks like it’s going to need an immediate patch up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#715 Post by SRW » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:49 pm

That quality makes them look temporary. Which, to me, wouldn't be such a bad thing because they're almost comically girthy...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#716 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:21 pm

Always loved me some girth...

Patrick_27

#717 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:21 pm
Always loved me some girth...
You win.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#718 Post by HiTouch » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:36 am

Let's stop with the objectification of architecture.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#719 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Update from today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeFe

#720 Post by PeFe » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Latest on the proposed Aboriginal Cultural Centre on Lot 14.

From In Daily
Govt seeks leader to deliver Lot Fourteen's Aboriginal cultural centre

The State Government is advertising for a director to deliver the $150 million Aboriginal art and culture gallery planned for Lot Fourteen – before cabinet ministers sign off on an overdue business case outlining the centre’s viability.

A render of the Marshall Government's proposed "National Aboriginal Art and Culture Gallery" at Lot Fourteen.
Renewal SA – the government agency in charge of transforming the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site into Lot Fourteen – has begun searching for a “project and program director” to lead the construction and planning of the Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre ahead of its anticipated opening in 2023.

According to the job description, the director would be tasked with “the delivery of a world-class cultural facility” that would “respect, acknowledge and celebrate Aboriginal stories through truth-telling of the old in new unique ways”.

Full article : https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/09/21/ ... EAD%20MORE