[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#541 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:04 pm
I don't know why our state government doesn't just ditch the Indigenous gallery/museum and opt for the modern art gallery instead. NT has more claim over such a gallery than we do, a larger indigenous population for one. Secondly, if the state government are charging ahead because they think the idea is unique and that we'll be the only place in Aus and the world to have such a gallery, all it's going to take (as history has shown) is for the gallery to do really well here and then for Melbourne or Sydney to build something the same but ten times bigger and virtually wipe out anything unique about it. At-least with a modern art gallery, it wouldn't be anything new but we could create exhibitions that were unique to our state (which could also include indigenous art). Governments here need to stop playing petty politics and realise when another party had a better idea than there own.
Answered your question in the first line with the last line. I mean, you know they got this idea because someone in the federal government let Marshall and co know the NT deal was faltering, and that it would be the perfect arts policy to have instead of the modern art gallery, because every policy and promise must be opposed with a different but equalish one.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: [SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#542 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:04 pm
I don't know why our state government doesn't just ditch the Indigenous gallery/museum and opt for the modern art gallery instead. NT has more claim over such a gallery than we do, a larger indigenous population for one. Secondly, if the state government are charging ahead because they think the idea is unique and that we'll be the only place in Aus and the world to have such a gallery, all it's going to take (as history has shown) is for the gallery to do really well here and then for Melbourne or Sydney to build something the same but ten times bigger and virtually wipe out anything unique about it. At-least with a modern art gallery, it wouldn't be anything new but we could create exhibitions that were unique to our state (which could also include indigenous art). Governments here need to stop playing petty politics and realise when another party had a better idea than there own.
Answered your question in the first line with the last line. I mean, you know they got this idea because someone in the federal government let Marshall and co know the NT deal was faltering, and that it would be the perfect arts policy to have instead of the modern art gallery, because every policy and promise must be opposed with a different but equalish one.
Not really, firstly Adelaide is a far better place to have it, so people will actually know it exists and may actaully visit it.

We also, if reports are correct, have the biggest catalogue of indigenous art/historical pieces.

Thirdly, if Adelaide did build it, no one else is going to because let's face it, if they were, it would be built already.

Lastly, how would another MOMA do any better?

I'm not really keen on it in any case. But let's come up with some real reasons to knock it.

Llessur2002

[SWP] Re: [SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#543 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 am

Waewick wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 am
Lastly, how would another MOMA do any better?
In my experience contemporary galleries appeal to a broader range of people - not only those who love visiting art galleries but also those who normally don't. Mainly because they're full of flashing lights, funny sounds, pictures of naked people and things to play with.

If you put MONA on North Terrace next to our own art gallery (even if our gallery was equal in size) I'm pretty sure I know which one would get more footfall, and probably by a long shot.

The question is - would an indigenous gallery be set up more like MONA, or more like our existing gallery? Would it appeal mainly just to die-hard gallery lovers and those with a specific interest in indigenous art and culture, or will they find a way of ensuring it appeals to the wider population by maintaining an edge in terms of exhibit variety, interactive experiences etc.

I'm not saying that won't be possible with an indigenous gallery, but if you want a sure-fire tourist attraction which appeals to a broad range of people then a good contemporary gallery seems like a very safe bet. An indigenous gallery feels like uncharted waters in comparison.

I’m sure a good percentage of the Adelaide population would visit it once, but what would keep them coming back? Another exhibit similar to one of the last ones? Some more paintings or artifacts? On the other hand, a place like MONA can announce they’ve just acquired a room-sized machine which recreates the human digestive process and poos twice a day…

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#544 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 am
I'm not saying that won't be possible with an indigenous gallery, but if you want a sure-fire tourist attraction which appeals to a broad range of people then a good contemporary gallery seems like a very safe bet. An indigenous gallery feels like uncharted waters in comparison.

I’m sure a good percentage of the Adelaide population would visit it once, but what would keep them coming back? Another exhibit similar to one of the last ones? Some more paintings or artifacts? On the other hand, a place like MONA can announce they’ve just acquired a room-sized machine which recreates the human digestive process and poos twice a day…
Whatever the Indigenous gallery becomes, it needs to be led by Indigenous people so it doesn't end up another staid museum for the white gaze. In my view, as a non-indigenous person, I think people would like to visit an institution that celebrates Aboriginal Australia as an ancient but continuous living culture with programmes of not just contemporary visual art, but also music, dance, film and food. That's what would keep people coming back.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#545 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 am
Whatever the Indigenous gallery becomes, it needs to be led by Indigenous people so it doesn't end up another staid museum for the white gaze.
Absoloutely agree.
SRW wrote:
programmes of not just contemporary visual art, but also music, dance, film and food.
Things (food aside) that generally appeal more to those with an existing love of art and culture - i.e. those who are already likely to visit museums and galleries. My answer above to Waewick's question of what would another MONA offer is broader appeal.

Obviously I write this as a bit of a cultural heathen - I get bored fairly quickly in most galleries (my wife loves them) with the general exception of contemporary galleries which are great fun.

Another alternative, which I doubt would be considered, is a large-scale science (and perhaps space) museum in the style of London's National Science Museum. Great fun, very interactive, attracts school groups from all over the country and there currently isn't one in Australia. Would fit in very well with the overall purpose of Lot 14 too. The downside of this is that we don't already have existing large collections ready to slot in so it would be a much bigger project.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#546 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm
Another alternative, which I doubt would be considered, is a large-scale science (and perhaps space) museum in the style of London's National Science Museum. Great fun, very interactive, attracts school groups from all over the country and there currently isn't one in Australia. Would fit in very well with the overall purpose of Lot 14 too.
Well the city deal just announced a Space Discovery Centre (apparently modelled on Questecon) for Lot 14. But I think most Adelaideans do miss the one-stop science experience of the now-defunct Investigator Science Centre. We have the new MOD gallery at UniSA and I think RiAus (at the old stock exchange) runs education programmes, but a combined science institution would be a lovely addition to the city.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ml69
Legendary Member!

#547 Post by ml69 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:04 am

I know people are wishing for contemporary art galleries and science museums etc ... but the reality (barring a change of state govt) is that we’re going to get an Indigenous Art and Culture Gallery.

So the question is ... how can it be made interesting and engaging?

Perhaps a good model to follow is the National Museum of African American History which has recently opened in Washington DC. Interestingly, it was designed by David Adjaye, one of the shortlisted architects in the Adelaide Contemporary competition.

By all accounts, it’s a brilliant, moving and powerful museum which tells the story of African-Americans from dark slavery times to the celebration of the current day. So, it’s engages visitors by storytelling rather than just displaying artefacts.

Our Australian indigenous people also have an important story to tell. So why couldn’t this museum/gallery also tell their story from the dreamtime to the current day, in an engaging way? And I mean also tell the bad stuff that happened to them as well (stolen generation etc), as this is often the most moving and impactful.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#548 Post by omada » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:25 am

I know its bad, and yes i'm probably an asshole - but i'd prefer a Contemporary Art Gallery to be honest. We had some fantastic designs from the competition - all for nought it appears.

Nort

#549 Post by Nort » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:37 pm

SRW wrote:

Whatever the Indigenous gallery becomes, it needs to be led by Indigenous people so it doesn't end up another staid museum for the white gaze. In my view, as a non-indigenous person, I think people would like to visit an institution that celebrates Aboriginal Australia as an ancient but continuous living culture with programmes of not just contemporary visual art, but also music, dance, film and food. That's what would keep people coming back.
That's what the SA Museum wants to do with their collection, so I'd expect to see something along those lines.

EBG

#550 Post by EBG » Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm

An extension the side of this building on Frome Rd has been demolished.
Attachments
20190512_ lot 14.jpg

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#551 Post by Will » Sun May 12, 2019 7:04 pm

EBG wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm
An extension the side of this building on Frome Rd has been demolished.
Is this the old Dental Hospital?

EBG

#552 Post by EBG » Sun May 12, 2019 10:04 pm

I think it is.

EBG

#553 Post by EBG » Sun May 26, 2019 3:40 pm

The building above appears to all be set for demolition. The front section is now completely enclosed by scaffolding and the top level at the rear is being demolished. 27/5/2019.
Attachments
20190526_lot 14.jpg

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#554 Post by d3v310per » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Council concern over rates-free hotel at Lot Fourteen

A plan to build a new 250-room hotel at Lot Fourteen has left the Adelaide City Council questioning whether commercial businesses located on the site should be exempt from paying council rates.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2019/06/12/ ... -fourteen/

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#555 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:05 pm
Council concern over rates-free hotel at Lot Fourteen

A plan to build a new 250-room hotel at Lot Fourteen has left the Adelaide City Council questioning whether commercial businesses located on the site should be exempt from paying council rates.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2019/06/12/ ... -fourteen/
The SA Libs just can't help themselves