[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#466 Post by claybro » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:35 am
If the libs were smart, they would have proposed a space museum where the new modern art gallery was proposed that connects to this proposal. Something with striking architecture, that is a world-class facility that exhibits all things astronomy and science.

This site needs direction, a clear vision. With the liberals in charge, I really think this is going to become a cluster of nothing that will attract strong business or tourism.
That is a little bit unfair. The West Australian government is absolutely peeved that SA won this and all sorts of politicians and media here have been slinging mud and asking for a please explain, particularly on the back of the warships and submarine contracts. What did come out of it when the dust settled was two factors.
1. SA had by far the BEST VISION and most thorough proposal, and
2. Intense lobbying by Christopher Pyne.
What this means for the site as a whole, who knows, but the space centre is a great foundation tenant, and a great win for SA.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#467 Post by rev » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:14 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
If the libs were smart, they would have proposed a space museum where the new modern art gallery was proposed that connects to this proposal. Something with striking architecture, that is a world-class facility that exhibits all things astronomy and science.

This site needs direction, a clear vision. With the liberals in charge, I really think this is going to become a cluster of nothing that will attract strong business or tourism.
That is a little bit unfair. The West Australian government is absolutely peeved that SA won this and all sorts of politicians and media here have been slinging mud and asking for a please explain, particularly on the back of the warships and submarine contracts. What did come out of it when the dust settled was two factors.
What this means for the site as a whole, who knows, but the space centre is a great foundation tenant, and a great win for SA.
WA can suck it. They had one of the biggest mining booms in history and thumbed their noses at the east coast over house prices and their new found wealth. Now they complain.
SA is the defence state. Has been for a long time.
Building warships and subs here, makes sense. We have the facilities and expertise.
Basing the space agency here also makes sense, with space tied into military and defence industry.
What's next, they're going to complain that JORN is controlled by RAAF Edinburgh and not WA even though WA has part the physical network present within it's borders?

claybro

#468 Post by claybro » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Like I said Rev, the state with the best vision, and the best presentation won the day. It has been widely reported here due to the massive dummy spit by the WA pollies. What amazes me, is there is still some negativity, harping and jibes both at Libs, and the site in general. FFS people, credit where credit is due, this was a great announcement both for the site, and the state in general.

SBD

#469 Post by SBD » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:58 pm

From memory, more OPV ships will be built in WA than in SA, and more money will be spent on maintaining submarines in WA than building them in SA.

Both states have RAAF bases and army units. WA has a navy base but SA does not.

Waewick

[SWP] Re: [SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#470 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:35 pm

GrowAdelaide wrote:I was at the Wine Centre Monday morning and whilst not bustling, there were a significant number of people there, both at the Café and the information tour upstairs.
The Wine Centre cafe is criminally unknown in Adelaide.

Great food and obviously awesome wine.

Ho Really

#471 Post by Ho Really » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:14 pm
claybro wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 pm
Mpol03 wrote:

WA can suck it. They had one of the biggest mining booms in history and thumbed their noses at the east coast over house prices and their new found wealth. Now they complain.
SA is the defence state. Has been for a long time.
Building warships and subs here, makes sense. We have the facilities and expertise.
Basing the space agency here also makes sense, with space tied into military and defence industry.
What's next, they're going to complain that JORN is controlled by RAAF Edinburgh and not WA even though WA has part the physical network present within it's borders?
Exactly! They have been saying we are backward for far too long and have treated us with contempt. Now that SA has scored a few points they are jealous. Fµ©k them I say!

Cheers

P.S. Had to get it off my chest.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Patrick_27

#472 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Considering WA squeezed the most out of the mining boom whilst SA struggled to get their own slice of the boom off the ground because of interstate activity, I'd say we're owed this one and anything else that comes our way. We have one of the more fragile state economies so we'll take anything that helps.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#473 Post by Jaymz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 pm
Considering WA squeezed the most out of the mining boom whilst SA struggled to get their own slice of the boom off the ground because of interstate activity, I'd say we're owed this one and anything else that comes our way. We have one of the more fragile state economies so we'll take anything that helps.
Yep and after being the epicentre of the largest boom in Australia's history and squandering most of it, W.A has somehow managed to end up with one of the worst balance sheets in the country.

And now W.A is crying poor to the Feds about tax distribution......sob sob, sniff sniff :cry:

claybro

#474 Post by claybro » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Yep and after being the epicentre of the largest boom in Australia's history and squandering most of it, W.A has somehow managed to end up with one of the worst balance sheets in the country.

And now W.A is crying poor to the Feds about tax distribution......sob sob, sniff sniff :cry:
You all do realise how much WA tax has been redistributed to SA in the last decade don't you? Celebrate a win for SA by all means, and there are some good things coming out of SA at present, but really, those comments are a little petty.

bits
Legendary Member!

#475 Post by bits » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:08 pm

claybro wrote:
You all do realise how much WA tax has been redistributed to SA in the last decade don't you? Celebrate a win for SA by all means, and there are some good things coming out of SA at present, but really, those comments are a little petty.
I thought minerals were owned by the country.
The money made from minerals mined in any state should be shared to the country as the country sees fit. WA is owed nothing from its tax redistribution.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#476 Post by Jaymz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:26 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:08 pm
claybro wrote:
I thought minerals were owned by the country.
The money made from minerals mined in any state should be shared to the country as the country sees fit. WA is owed nothing from its tax redistribution.
Precisely, it's the basis of living in a Commonwealth. Wherein all people, regardless of where they live, should have fair and equal access to services and infrastructure, or something along those lines.

bits
Legendary Member!

#477 Post by bits » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Correction, Wikipedia says the state does own the minerals within its borders not the country.

SBD

#478 Post by SBD » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:47 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm
Correction, Wikipedia says the state does own the minerals within its borders not the country.
It may or may not be relevant to future tenants at Lot 14, but it gets a little more complex for offshore minerals such as oil. The ones close to the coast (but I think that includes the straight line across bays and gulfs) belong to the state. The ones further away (beyond 5 or 12 nautical miles I think) belong to the Commonwealth. That has the potential to make exploration or exploitation of oil in the Great Australian Bight much more challenging, and WA can be involved in that conversation too for the western parts. I've seen at least three different definitions of how big the Bight is, which could effect where the states/federal boundary is, too.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#479 Post by JAKJ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:05 pm

claybro wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:

WA people have a short memory... prior to around 2007-8 WA was a massive net recipient of Commonwealth fund transfers since Federation, more so than SA inflation adjusted.

Nort

#480 Post by Nort » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Waewick wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:35 pm
GrowAdelaide wrote:I was at the Wine Centre Monday morning and whilst not bustling, there were a significant number of people there, both at the Café and the information tour upstairs.
The Wine Centre cafe is criminally unknown in Adelaide.

Great food and obviously awesome wine.
The Wine Centre is going to be a fairly major Fringe hub next year, should get a lot of new people in there.