News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

#106 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 pm

When's the next LGA election? We need some more Yarwood types back at the helm.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#107 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 am

SRW wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 pm
When's the next LGA election? We need some more Yarwood types back at the helm.
Poor Steve Yarwood tried to change things too quickly for the change-fearing people of Adelaide. I'd love to have him back as LM, but as Bart says in the monorail episode
Bart: "sorry mum, the mob has spoken!"
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#108 Post by phenom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:09 pm

mshagg wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:00 pm
Large, yellow, assertive signs have now been placed at the crossing demanding "PEDESTRIANS MUST OBSERVE CROSSING SIGNALS", from which I infer there has been issues with observance.

It's almost as if people object to being stopped from moving around their city? Who would have thought...
I'm struggling to believe they've done this and 'civil disobedience' is almost guaranteed because of how ridiculous it is having these on a separate cycle to the main pedestrian lights three metres away which if you miss you then get to wait at for another few minutes to cross. Ridiculous.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#109 Post by mshagg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Not sure if this is "new" or if it's more like "new new" but ACC just posted a vid on Facebook of the lord mayor spruiking the central market arcade redevelopment.

I understand the official expressions of interest have been launched today:

http://www.cityofadelaide.com.au//your- ... velopment/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#110 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm

The EOI was released today, so it's definitely news.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#111 Post by ml69 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm

mshagg wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm
Not sure if this is "new" or if it's more like "new new" but ACC just posted a vid on Facebook of the lord mayor spruiking the central market arcade redevelopment.

It's actually a very good brief prepared by Adelaide City Council and lays the framework for a very exciting redevelopment of the Central Market Arcade. I note they are even seeking proposals with "wow factor" and a "sensational urban development". Who would have thought that would come from ACC?

This EOI process with design ideas is what the state government should have requested for the Festival Plaza redevelopment instead of just appointing Walker Corporation. We would have had a much better design outcome if we had done that.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#112 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 pm

ml69 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm
mshagg wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm

It's actually a very good brief prepared by Adelaide City Council and lays the framework for a very exciting redevelopment of the Central Market Arcade. I note they are even seeking proposals with "wow factor" and a "sensational urban development". Who would have thought that would come from ACC?

This EOI process with design ideas is what the state government should have requested for the Festival Plaza redevelopment instead of just appointing Walker Corporation. We would have had a much better design outcome if we had done that.
From what I heard, the people working inside the ACC are actually really switched-on people who know what they are doing.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#113 Post by SRW » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 pm

I think a lot of people forget beyond the public face of some blowhard councillors is actually a pretty competent council administration. Looking forward to seeing what happens in this space: it could be game changing for Adelaide.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#114 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 am

Wonderful news.
Have you guys seen the Eat Street Markets in Brisbane? A proposal of this nature is better suited to Port Adelaide (right on the wharf) but again, the nature of bringing food and entertainment together on a weekend is ideal for Adelaide. This area would be perfect for a 'sensational urban redevelopment'.