News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

#91 Post by Vee » Tue May 23, 2017 8:20 am

Adelaide Central Market - changes to Grote St car park entry
The Adelaide Central Market hopes the restoration of a key right-hand turn into its car park will bring back hundreds of thousands of disenfranchised western suburbs shoppers and earn traders an extra $16 million each year.

According to Central Market management, the 2005 removal of the Grote Street right-hand turn into its car park had a disastrous effect on trade, discouraging around 300,000 visits each year.

Tomorrow, works will begin to demolish the median strip blocking the entrance and to install traffic lights, allowing shoppers travelling from the west along Grote Street to enter the market without having to pass it by and circumnavigate Victoria Square to enter the car park.

Grote Street is the most direct route coming from Sir Donald Bradman drive, however motorists can take a more indirect route via Gouger Street to enter the car park from the west.
The car park is vital to the prosperity of the Central Market as it attracts shoppers from far and wide, and most would have quite heavy bags etc of produce to carry home. Cheap parking (free for first hour) encourages a high turnover.

The new entry is now a divided ramp with a twisty entry from the top into the car park. The removal of about 200 car parks (on the eastern side) during the redevelopment of the arcade is likely to affect business more than the 2005 removal of RH access from Grote St.

Advertising, revenue?
Central Market general manager Aaron Brumby said the market would fund a major advertising campaign targeting Adelaide’s western suburbs in an attempt to woo customers back.
He told InDaily traders could hope to gain an extra $16.5 million in revenue each year as a result of the restoration – although the boon may take years to materialise.

“The traders are very excited to see it re-open."
“There was a significant drop in the number of vehicles in the car park [when the turn was blocked].
"..... traders immediately noticed the downturn … the western suburbs really became disenfranchised from the market.”
He says the Grote Street flagpoles provide “a beautiful entrance into the city” but it was worth removing three of them for the sake of the market.
Survey
The market commissioned a major survey project last year, which revealed 86 per cent of those who entered the car park intended to shop at the market on that day.
Each customer would spend an average of $64 at the market during their visit.

The project surveyed 278 visitors to the car park in March 2016.
Assuming the market can eventually attract the 300,000 annual visitations back to the car park, and 86 per cent of those customers spend $64 each, management expects traders to earn an extra $16.5 million each year.
Cost
The Adelaide City Council is funding the works which will cost about $300,000.
(Guiding principles of the redevelopment can still be viewed on the ACC YourSay site - link in this thread).

InDaily:
http://indaily.com.au/news/2017/05/22/c ... park-boon/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#92 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 23, 2017 5:19 pm

They're blaming the right turns, but they also went to self serve ticket machines around the same time?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by Bacon » Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 am

monotonehell wrote:They're blaming the right turns, but they also went to self serve ticket machines around the same time?
Some exit lanes stil have attendants I believe

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by Listy » Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 am

monotonehell wrote:They're blaming the right turns, but they also went to self serve ticket machines around the same time?
Ticket prices also went up and a new (better, more convenient - especially for anyone coming from the western suburbs) car park opened on the other side of the road.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 24, 2017 11:32 am

Listy wrote:
Ticket prices also went up and a new (better, more convenient - especially for anyone coming from the western suburbs) car park opened on the other side of the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#96 Post by Nathan » Wed May 24, 2017 11:44 am

Listy wrote:
The parking prices at the bus station car park are more than the Central Market ones, and don't have the first hour free. Coming from the (north) west, I wouldn't say the bus station is in any way more convenient. It's absolutely trivial to take Gouger St to access the car park instead of Grote St.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by Brucetiki » Wed May 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Bacon wrote:
Some exit lanes stil have attendants I believe
Nope they're all gone now.

metro
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by metro » Wed May 24, 2017 5:28 pm

They should have just allowed U-turns at the Pitt St intersection and saved a few $$, just put a sign in the median that says carpark access via U-turn with an arrow to illustrate for the simpletons.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#99 Post by mshagg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Is it just me or is a controlled intersection to enter the CM car park one of the most ridiculous things happening in the CBD right now?

So you're going to have people turning right from pitt st onto grote st being immediately met with another traffic light? Or are you going to give them a red arrow for right turns, to appease these apparently lazy westerners who refuse to access the carpark via gouger?

Or, better yet, you're going to take one of the busiest public transport corridors through town and one of the most efficient east-west cycling routes, and stop them dead in their tracks, because people apparently cant be assed going to the markets without a direct route to a car park at the door?

I assume we're going Full Adelaide and putting in pedestrian lights to stop the flow of people along grote street so these precious motorists can enter the car park unimpeded. Because, fuck anyone who's not in a car right?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#100 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:08 pm

It does feel especially stupid given the Gouger Street entrance is such a minimal detour.
Keep Adelaide Weird

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by mshagg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:49 am

Urgh. Welcome to the ACC's idea of better "balance" between modes of transport.

What I initially commented as a joke is, unfortunately, the reality of the council's vision for transport in Adelaide. Per pictures below, pedestrian control lights are being installed as part of the new right hand turn from Grote St into the car park.

ALL BEFORE ME SHALL STOP IN THEIR TRACKS WHILST I PARK MY CAR!

http://i.imgur.com/2PSd7ur.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XExnBij.jpg

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#102 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 am

Cool, another set of pedestrian crossing lights for me to completely ignore...

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#103 Post by mshagg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Large, yellow, assertive signs have now been placed at the crossing demanding "PEDESTRIANS MUST OBSERVE CROSSING SIGNALS", from which I infer there has been issues with observance.

It's almost as if people object to being stopped from moving around their city? Who would have thought...

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by Spurdo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 pm

wow, never thought I'd ever see people have a meltdown over traffic lights :lol:

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by mshagg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 pm

You can expect more of this shit given the Council's interim "smart move action plan" (from which this genius idea was borne) is basically an exercise in tearing up the old one and bringing the focus back to single occupant vehicles. They euphemistically call it "restoring balance".
Last edited by mshagg on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.