News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

#61 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks for your attendance and letting us know what happened. :) It will be interesting what will come of this group, and how that will reflect in any action taken.
Patrick_27 wrote:... Furthermore, a couple of people seemed to be under the assumption that the Adelaide CBD runs within Franklin Street/West Terrace/North Terrace/East Terrace... It opened my eyes to why so many readers of The Advertiser are shocked and confused whenever a large development is proposed for outside this block of the CBD...
The CBD isn't exactly defined but it is roughly between Victoria Square and North Terrace, and between Morphett Street and East Terrace. Not that those bounds exclude any high rise development anywhere outside. People have odd perceptions at times, when I tell people that I live in Adelaide itself some have told me I'm lying as "no one lives in the City, it's all shops and offices".
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Yep, thanks Patrick. Keep the info flowing. Anything more tangible you can share (e.g. workshop hand outs, etc) would be appreciated :-)

Yarwood was touting Little India in that location years ago. You'd think it would be easy-ish to implement. Dig up the road so it's unusable, hire 1000 people to stand on street corners 24/7, 100+ cars, and some cows. Done.

No offence directed towards our Indian friends. They are graceful people. I'm just joking.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#63 Post by rev » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Wayno wrote:Yep, thanks Patrick. Keep the info flowing. Anything more tangible you can share (e.g. workshop hand outs, etc) would be appreciated :-)

Yarwood was touting Little India in that location years ago. You'd think it would be easy-ish to implement. Dig up the road so it's unusable, hire 1000 people to stand on street corners 24/7, 100+ cars, and some cows. Done.

No offence directed towards our Indian friends. They are graceful people. I'm just joking.
Meh, would be better to have it as a multi-cultural place instead of China Town, Little India, Little Italy, Greek Town, Korea Town etc etc.
That way with every wave of new migrants a precinct is kept alive and evolving.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by monotonehell » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:36 pm

rev wrote:
Wayno wrote:Yep, thanks Patrick. Keep the info flowing. Anything more tangible you can share (e.g. workshop hand outs, etc) would be appreciated :-)

Meh, would be better to have it as a multi-cultural place instead of China Town, Little India, Little Italy, Greek Town, Korea Town etc etc.
That way with every wave of new migrants a precinct is kept alive and evolving.
I tend to agree. Trying to artificially create commercial ghettos along these lines is very difficult. Better to let things like this emerge organically and celebrate that. To anyone is paying attention, the Central Market area is pretty much little South Korea Town these days.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Winner was announced for the Central Market Tower Design Competition tonight: a gravity fed brewery!

http://markettowercomp.com/subs/5010/Ma ... 7-6473.pdf

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#66 Post by dsriggs » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:48 am

Oh no, I like something that won a design competition. I think I need a lie down...

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by omada » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Oh no, I like something that won a design competition. I think I need a lie down...
+ 1haha me too, that is a great idea A perfect fit for the markets.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Meanwhile in the SW corner of Victoria Square...

From news.com.au
THE Adelaide Central Market could be expanded under a proposal being considered by the City Council.

The Central Market Arcade — between the Hilton and the market — is set to return to council ownership in 2018, and could be redeveloped to include an increase in floor space to accommodate more stall holders.

The Our Market District plan — endorsed by the council’s Strategy, Planning and Partnerships Committee last night — states the redevelopment of the arcade presents an opportunity for expansion.

“The Adelaide Central Market is currently constrained within its existing footprint and has had limited opportunity to grow and meet the changing demands of modern retail trends or to serve a growing city population,” the plan states.

“Given the anchor role that the Adelaide Central Market plays for surrounding businesses it is essential for the district’s future that the experience of the market is expanded.

“A redeveloped arcade site provides this opportunity along with the ability to directly connect the market with Victoria Square, supported and activated by a rejuvenated Sir Samuel Way building.”

The plan states redeveloped Arcade could include a National Centre for Food Culture to celebrate Aboriginal, European and other cuisines.

It includes a proposal for a “creative quarter” to the south of Gouger St, which could include “edgy dining” and “boutique tourist accommodation”.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said the plan had been developed by consulting nearby traders and residents and it would inform future decisions over the area.

“I think the Central Market is probably the most-loved area in all of the state,” he said.

“The Market District can easily become a major driver of future growth in the city, and with this in mind, it needs bold ideas and bold people to put up their hands and join us in turning the vision into a reality.”

Mr Haese said the Market District provided unique opportunities, in part, because it is such a multicultural area.

“Anything we plan to do (in the area) needs to take into account the cultural, social and commercial opportunities we can realise,” he said.

“It is a really unique area and (the plan) takes that into consideration.”

Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad said the Arcade coming back into council ownership would be a “catalyst” for new development in the area.

“It will be a huge opportunity for the Market Precinct that could include an extension of the Market itself, redevelopment of the area and improvements to the public realm, such as in Gouger and Grote streets,” he said.

“One of the things I would love to explore is connecting a tram from Grote St all the way to the airport.

“But most importantly we need to focus on masterplanning the area so private businesses understand what is wanted there and they can submit plans for redevelopments.”

Any proposal to expand the market after 2018 would need to be approved by the council after being put out for community consultation.

The market has been redeveloped twice since opening in 1869. The most recent redevelopment was in the 1960s.
I hope they are considering selling air rights to a property developer, or some sort of profit share arrangement. C'mon ACC, be innovative, create a win-win!!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]

#69 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey here's a genius idea - The ACC should sell the air rights above the Central Markets and that income can fund the Victoria Square redevelopment?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Hey here's a genius idea - The ACC should sell the air rights above the Central Markets and that income can fund the Victoria Square redevelopment?
One can only hope!
Last edited by Norman on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by Pikey » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:42 pm

They'll start the redevelopment of the Markets site, then stop half way...
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

[Shuz]

#72 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 pm

So they'll demolish the markets only to...

Open air car parking!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Patrick_27

#73 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Wayno wrote:Meanwhile in the SW corner of Victoria Square...

From news.com.au
THE Adelaide Central Market could be expanded under a proposal being considered by the City Council.

The Central Market Arcade — between the Hilton and the market — is set to return to council ownership in 2018, and could be redeveloped to include an increase in floor space to accommodate more stall holders.

The Our Market District plan — endorsed by the council’s Strategy, Planning and Partnerships Committee last night — states the redevelopment of the arcade presents an opportunity for expansion.

“The Adelaide Central Market is currently constrained within its existing footprint and has had limited opportunity to grow and meet the changing demands of modern retail trends or to serve a growing city population,” the plan states.

“Given the anchor role that the Adelaide Central Market plays for surrounding businesses it is essential for the district’s future that the experience of the market is expanded.

“A redeveloped arcade site provides this opportunity along with the ability to directly connect the market with Victoria Square, supported and activated by a rejuvenated Sir Samuel Way building.”

The plan states redeveloped Arcade could include a National Centre for Food Culture to celebrate Aboriginal, European and other cuisines.

It includes a proposal for a “creative quarter” to the south of Gouger St, which could include “edgy dining” and “boutique tourist accommodation”.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said the plan had been developed by consulting nearby traders and residents and it would inform future decisions over the area.

“I think the Central Market is probably the most-loved area in all of the state,” he said.

“The Market District can easily become a major driver of future growth in the city, and with this in mind, it needs bold ideas and bold people to put up their hands and join us in turning the vision into a reality.”

Mr Haese said the Market District provided unique opportunities, in part, because it is such a multicultural area.

“Anything we plan to do (in the area) needs to take into account the cultural, social and commercial opportunities we can realise,” he said.

“It is a really unique area and (the plan) takes that into consideration.”

Deputy Lord Mayor Houssam Abiad said the Arcade coming back into council ownership would be a “catalyst” for new development in the area.

“It will be a huge opportunity for the Market Precinct that could include an extension of the Market itself, redevelopment of the area and improvements to the public realm, such as in Gouger and Grote streets,” he said.

“One of the things I would love to explore is connecting a tram from Grote St all the way to the airport.

“But most importantly we need to focus on masterplanning the area so private businesses understand what is wanted there and they can submit plans for redevelopments.”

Any proposal to expand the market after 2018 would need to be approved by the council after being put out for community consultation.

The market has been redeveloped twice since opening in 1869. The most recent redevelopment was in the 1960s.
I hope they are considering selling air rights to a property developer, or some sort of profit share arrangement. C'mon ACC, be innovative, create a win-win!!
No. I would rather die an excruciating death than watch them construct apartments directly next to the markets. Look at how sterile Sydney's Paddy's Markets have become because of this.

WHY do they need to encroach on the market precinct just to appease the people who want to see a new tallest in the city, when you've got disused land across Grote Street where the Adelaide City Bus Terminal is which would be perfect for apartments.

And before anyone says it; I'm not a NIMBY, I just believe that we shouldn't be with the mentality that high-rise development should be built here, there and everywhere.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by Will » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

From ABC news online:
Adelaide Central Market Arcade traders on edge about redevelopment plans

By Tom Fedorowytsch

Posted about 6 hours ago

Adelaide Central Market Arcade Artist's impression
Photo: Artist's impression of the upgrade planned for the Adelaide Central Market Arcade. (Supplied)

Adelaide's Central Market precinct is set for a radical change with a major redevelopment planned for the Central Market Arcade shopping centre.

The Arcade Traders' Association estimates as few as one-third of the 70 traders will remain in the centre with construction due to start in 2020.

The Adelaide City Council insists any changes to the arcade will be "complementary" to the look and feel of the existing Central Market itself.

"We're looking at how we could improve it. We're looking at how we could future-proof it and make it even better than it is today," Lord Mayor Martin Haese said.

"We know we've got to be really methodical, careful and take the community with us every step of the way, to make sure whatever happens in this place, it's something that continues to be loved by all South Australians."

The Central Market Arcade is sandwiched between Victoria Square and the Central Market itself, and is slightly larger than its more prominent neighbour.

After spending 50 years in private hands, the arcade will come back under council control in 2018.

"Ultimately the vision will be dictated by the marketplace, and that'll be influenced by economic conditions and demand," Mr Haese said.

"Maybe there's an opportunity here for development activity above the arcade ... there could be an air rights opportunity, whether that is institutional, education, residential, or office space."

Most traders expected to permanently quit the arcade

Traders have been offered two-year leases by the council with redevelopment work not expected to begin until 2020 at the earliest, but the council will consider a masterplan due this year.

Craig Lunn from the Arcade Traders' Association said there were more concerns over the redevelopment timeframe than the "exciting" project.

He has started a wholesale arm and obtained a food truck licence to steer his cafe through the construction period.

"We don't want to see this site sit idle, which some sites have done in Adelaide for many years, because they go to start development, and it falls over," Mr Lunn said.

"So we want to make sure everything's iron clad and locked in, before they decide to move us out onto the street."

He estimated the project could cost up to $400 million and take at least two years.

"I would've thought that 30 to 40 per cent of the traders would like to stay, but there's some that will not want to come back in, they might feel that sitting out of the development for a couple years is too long and they might have to look at their options to relocate," Mr Lunn said.

"Or some might see this as a time to retire."

Shopkeeper Harry Krieg was not optimistic the work would be done anytime soon.

"We're talking a 10 or 20-year plan, it can't happen overnight ... and look how long it took them to fix Victoria Square, so if that's an indication we've got half of a lifetime left here."

Change unpopular in traditional produce market

Like the Central Market, the arcade has an eclectic mix of independent shops, restaurants and other businesses, as well as a large Coles supermarket.

Some tenants have been trading at the site since before a 1960s redevelopment.

"One of the beauties about coming to the Central Market is not only can you go to all the different stalls and get all your different produce," Mr Lunn said.

"You can still go right next door to Coles and grab that little jar of mayonnaise that you need to finish that dish off, or pop in and pick up your script before going home.

"That's something that other markets don't have — we've got a shopping complex right next to one of the best produce markets in the world."

Shoppers the ABC spoke to expressed concerns about change.

"No wonderful things with stainless steel and marble and all the rest of it. If it's not broken, don't fix it," one said.

Another said: "We would like it not to change too much, to become too much like a supermarket."

"There's a lot of history in the building so it'd be sad to see that go."
]

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by thecityguy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 pm

"An air rights opportunity" yes pls!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk