[COM] 104-106 Currie Street | 117m | 33lvl | Sofitel Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Currie/Rosina St | 110m | 32lvl | Sofitel

#91 Post by Norman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Has Australian Fashion Labels even moved out yet?

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#92 Post by slenderman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Norman wrote:Has Australian Fashion Labels even moved out yet?
Not sure. I believe Kelvin House at 233 North Terrace is where they're moving? There was scaffolding on that building late last year which is now gone, so hopefully that's a good sign that works are finishing and that they will move soon if they haven't already? Would be good if they could start earlier than the anticipated early 2017.

Have the apartments in this development been marketed/sold? I never really check the real estate websites so I wouldn't have a clue. Would their sales affect the start date for construction?

arki
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by arki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:33 pm

AFL will be moving to 233 North Terrace from the first of March.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by thecityguy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm on realestate.com pretty regularly, haven't seen anything about these yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by Dvious » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:15 pm

It's a hotel. AFL moving is a good sign. The 2018 open date would have only been achievable with a 2016 start, not 2017 as they suggested.

So who knows! It could be happening.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#96 Post by Ben » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Increase in height :banana: :banana: :banana:
Type: Schedule 10
Application Number: S10/2/2014/A
Lodgement Date: 04/03/2016
Description: Vary previous authorisation demolition of existing buildings and construction of a 32 level building with basement and rooftop plant levels - for hotel, retail and residential use and associated car parking - in four stages - VARIATION - increase of height and associated internal and external alterations.
Applicant Name:

PALUMBO BUILDING

Wolf42
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#97 Post by Wolf42 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Extra 23m please. This is great news, shows either the hotel is adamant that demand for more rooms is present or the developers believe the apartments will sell in the current market.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by phenom » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:16 pm

Great that this is still alive. Purely from an aesthetic view point something of decent height in that vicinity will help plug the 'empty' street you appear to look down (on the northern side of Currie St) - not fussed about extra height, 110m is more than adequate to make a difference.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#99 Post by ghs » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Good comment Phenom. Currie Street desperately needs this building, it's too empty at th the moment.

I walked past this morning and there's removalists there moving AFL out.

Regarding the height increase it's probably only a couple of metres.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#100 Post by noted » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 pm

ghs wrote: Regarding the height increase it's probably only a couple of metres.
Suspect you're right but hopefully not. From memory the top 5-10 floors were going to be residential? They could probably double the residential component and still easily sell out. Having observed it inerstate, the prospect of living in the city's tallest building does wonders for sales/marketing.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by Dvious » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 pm

ghs wrote:Good comment Phenom. Currie Street desperately needs this building, it's too empty at th the moment.

Another dumb comment. How do you know? How do you know it's not 50cm or 50m?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#102 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:00 am

Ben wrote:Increase in height :banana: :banana: :banana:
Type: Schedule 10
Application Number: S10/2/2014/A
Lodgement Date: 04/03/2016
Description: Vary previous authorisation demolition of existing buildings and construction of a 32 level building with basement and rooftop plant levels - for hotel, retail and residential use and associated car parking - in four stages - VARIATION - increase of height and associated internal and external alterations.
Applicant Name:

PALUMBO BUILDING
Why don't these variation statement actually state the variation?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#103 Post by slenderman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Dvious wrote:
ghs wrote:Good comment Phenom. Currie Street desperately needs this building, it's too empty at th the moment.

Another dumb comment. How do you know? How do you know it's not 50cm or 50m?
Come on now Dvious, ghs is just trying to be realistic, even if it may come across as a bit negative. I'm sure he'd like to see a new tallest come out of this as well. It's Adelaide; we'll only believe we've got a new tallest once it's topped out higher than Westpac. And even then, we might still get a Ryugyong Hotel situation knowing our luck :lol:

Besides, ghs is right that Currie Street could really use a new highrise to reinvigorate the area. Despite being in the CBD core, the only real highrise of note in inner Currie Street is Westpac house. The rest of the street is lowrise or short, fat, ugly highrise buildings (Allianz, Iron Road House). This building, even if it wasn't 110 metres tall, would do a lot to make the area feel more urban.

I'm not in the know, but I assume the variation would mean at least another floor, as the amendment also talks about internal alterations associated with the increase in height. Surely that wouldn't be happening if the additional height was just a few centimetres? Hopefully it means another seven of so floors needed to overtake Westpac. Would also be nice if it could get up to a nice round number like 40 levels. We're well overdue, and this would be a worthy new tallest.

Also Ben, where exactly do you get this information about developments from? The DAC website always seems to be slightly behind.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by Phantom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:44 pm

slenderman wrote:Besides, ghs is right that Currie Street could really use a new highrise to reinvigorate the area. Despite being in the CBD core, the only real highrise of note in inner Currie Street is Westpac house. The rest of the street is lowrise or short, fat, ugly highrise buildings (Allianz, Iron Road House). This building, even if it wasn't 110 metres tall, would do a lot to make the area feel more urban.
Hit the nail on the head, Slendiggity. Height-wise, Currie Street is lacking compared to what is south and east of it. Hell, even sporadic hotels are showing up west of Morphett Street, too.

It's all well and good to have the tallest building in Adelaide along Currie Street, but the lack of height around it makes it stick out like dog's balls. This wouldn't be so bad if it were prettier... Not trying to go off topic, but do you guys find the black stump to be an attractive building?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by Dvious » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:04 pm

I just hope the increase in height is more than 1 floor.

But time will tell! Let's hope this is going ahead!