[COM] The Switch - 203 North Terrace | 119m | 35 levels | Student Accom

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: 203 North Terrace | 73M | 19 levels | Mixed Use

#16 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 pm

rev wrote:
mattblack wrote:Think he means this one.

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ?f=7&t=475
Nah that's not it the one I'm thinking of had a curved feature on the front facade and was another tallish skinny proposal.
This one
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... e&start=45

And then it was dumbed down to a horrible cheap proposal. Cheers ACC :roll:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Will » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 pm

rev wrote:
mattblack wrote:Think he means this one.

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ?f=7&t=475
Nah that's not it the one I'm thinking of had a curved feature on the front facade and was another tallish skinny proposal.
You guys are thinking about this:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=7&t=1440

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Phantom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:17 pm

slenderman wrote: :roll: The apartments on carpark and even taller Myer Centre are nearby, so I doubt it would be that out of place. Add in the Le Cordon Bleu and Gawler Chambers developments which have gone mysteriously quiet and that whole area could become quite dense (or a wall of equal height). However, I will join you in saying that I wouldn't be heartbroken if this one didn't get up, judging from its render. Looks quite boxy, thin and bland. However, it's only fair to wait for more renders and if it breathes some life into those nice heritage buildings in our North Terrace cultural precinct, that can only be a good thing.
I guess they are kinda close, I just didn't think they were THAT close to this site, you know? I just don't want it to look like what you get around West Tce, Currie St and Waymouth St. :P

I really hope that render is just an idea of what a building would look like on the site, not what they're specifically looking for in building design, if that makes sense?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by spiller » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:25 pm

looks like they have clearly chopped out the apartments on top of DJs and the Myer Center to make the render stand out more from a height perspective. Either way, that part of north terrace is looking a little tired and this would be great.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by SRW » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:53 am

Will wrote:From the City Messenger:
Wait, are they car parking levels I see? Undisguised, wide-open car parking levels visible from our prime boulevard? Poor effort. North Tce is blighted enough by car parks.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ml69
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by ml69 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:05 am

SRW wrote:
Will wrote:From the City Messenger:
Wait, are they car parking levels I see? Undisguised, wide-open car parking levels visible from our prime boulevard? Poor effort. North Tce is blighted enough by car parks.
Whoa slow down ..... the 4 levels of grey glass are office levels. Parking is underground.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: PRO: 203 North Terrace | 73m | 19 levels | Mixed Use

#22 Post by rev » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:26 am

He's talking about the section just above the heritage building. The article states that there will be 3 levels of car parking above the heritage building.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:20 am

Not sure if I'm a fan of this.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by ml69 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:31 pm

rev wrote:He's talking about the section just above the heritage building. The article states that there will be 3 levels of car parking above the heritage building.
Didn't see that bit above the heritage building ... my apologies.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by Brando » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:05 pm

I cannot understand why developers do this and why the ACC allow it. Surely the building would look much more appealing if a garden wall for example, was built a few feet in front of the carpark facade.

Win for looks, Win for enviroment, Win for developers and residents......

Vee
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Vee » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:31 pm

Brando wrote:I cannot understand why developers do this and why the ACC allow it. Surely the building would look much more appealing if a garden wall for example, was built a few feet in front of the carpark facade.

Interesting comment, Brando on vertical gardens.
Check out One Central Park in Sydney.
One Central Park, a residential tower in Sydney expected to open this winter, has plants and vines climbing up its glass facade.
Some 190 native Australian species and 160 non-natives will cover more than 1,200 square feet from the 2nd to 33rd floors, or some 50 percent of the building’s exterior.
Vertical Gardens and Urban Green Spaces
via Sustainable Cities Collective
http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/ ... rdens-grow

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#27 Post by Waewick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:37 pm

Brando wrote:I cannot understand why developers do this and why the ACC allow it. Surely the building would look much more appealing if a garden wall for example, was built a few feet in front of the carpark facade.

developer and residents care about cost. Not a wall they can't see from their Window.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by Phantom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 pm

It looks like it will topple over if the wind blows too hard. I'm all for height and buildings, but I really do hope the render does not accurate represent the final product. :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Honey of a City » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:21 am

Agreed Brando. I believe that governments, councils and developers have a huge responsibility when developing our built CBD environment, which actually belongs to all of us, and future generations. Green walls and vertical gardens are taking off everywhere, even in developing countries. Instant visual and environmental benefits, and relatively cost effective. Adelaide, as the capital of the driest state etc etc could become an iconic vertical garden showcase with a bit of vision and commitment from planners. There's a fantastic opportunity here with the mass of development proposals in the pipeline. Could the ACC maybe offer incentives for architects to build green walls into plans at every opportunity?

Here's some inspiration:

http://sourceable.net/worlds-tallest-ve ... n-its-way/

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by phenom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Phantom wrote:It looks like it will topple over if the wind blows too hard. I'm all for height and buildings, but I really do hope the render does not accurate represent the final product. :P
Hmmm I'd say if 111 West 57th Street in NYC is sound then this building is pretty safe :P