[COM] The Switch - 203 North Terrace | 119m | 35 levels | Student Accom

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: 203 North Terrace | 109m | 33 levels | Student Accom

#181 Post by Jaymz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:04 pm

madelaide wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:59 pm
Is there nobody on Sensational Adelaide with even the slightest level of influence on Adelaide City Council or State Government decision making? Not one person? Anyone?

If it's you, and you're reading this now... what the fuck is your problem? You have an army of researchers and place-makers at your disposal right here on this site. Use us to better your vision, your designs, your enthusiasm and your budget. Everybody here would rather see the density of the city grow, but not at the expense of culture, identity and self respect.

The 'World Class Cultural Boulevard' vision is so far from being realised right now. Two steps forward with Lot 14 repurposing, one step back by deliberately removing the charm at street level (trees, pavers, lighting). Two steps forward with the Science and Medical Precinct, one step back not building short stay accommodation for visiting researchers, doctors, nurses, regional patient visitors, patient support workers, etc. That West / North Terrace corner is depressing. Should instead be a hub of wellness.

Who’s in charge of finishing a fucking job around here? How hard is it to curate the appearance of one street?

Here’s rev with the weather...

Maybe they have read these forums, maybe they have heard us complain (myself included) that certain designs are in contrast to the North Terrace vibe. So then they think that making some monstrosity look like it's made of sandstone or the likes will appease us. Can't blame them for trying, if this building was half the height then we'd prolly not give much of a shit. A decent position to be in if you consider where we were even 10 years ago, many would've jizzed in their pants at a 109 metre tall building!

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: 203 North Terrace | 109m | 33 levels | Student Accom

#182 Post by citywatcher » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:59 pm

Jaymz wrote:
madelaide wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:59 pm
Is there nobody on Sensational Adelaide with even the slightest level of influence on Adelaide City Council or State Government decision making? Not one person? Anyone?

If it's you, and you're reading this now... what the fuck is your problem? You have an army of researchers and place-makers at your disposal right here on this site. Use us to better your vision, your designs, your enthusiasm and your budget. Everybody here would rather see the density of the city grow, but not at the expense of culture, identity and self respect.

The 'World Class Cultural Boulevard' vision is so far from being realised right now. Two steps forward with Lot 14 repurposing, one step back by deliberately removing the charm at street level (trees, pavers, lighting). Two steps forward with the Science and Medical Precinct, one step back not building short stay accommodation for visiting researchers, doctors, nurses, regional patient visitors, patient support workers, etc. That West / North Terrace corner is depressing. Should instead be a hub of wellness.

Who’s in charge of finishing a fucking job around here? How hard is it to curate the appearance of one street?

Here’s rev with the weather...

Maybe they have read these forums, maybe they have heard us complain (myself included) that certain designs are in contrast to the North Terrace vibe. So then they think that making some monstrosity look like it's made of sandstone or the likes will appease us. Can't blame them for trying, if this building was half the height then we'd prolly not give much of a shit. A decent position to be in if you consider where we were even 10 years ago, many would've jizzed in their pants at a 109 metre tall building!
These people probably don't read forums about their industry where terms like jizzing in their pants are used

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#183 Post by slenderman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Can we please stop with the general nastiness on both sides? The nastiness seems to break out every once in a while and has been going on for the last few years now. It's draining to read and probably discourages people from contributing to the forum.

I personally dislike this design based on the current renders, though I haven't looked at the documentation. I wouldn't be sad if it doesn't go ahead, although I would really like to see something be done with the heritage buildings below.

That being said, nobody is a bad person or should be the subject of insults if they disagree (and vice versa). More broadly, you aren't an idiot, a whinger or any other title if you love/hate any particular development in Adelaide. Architecture/development is at least somewhat subjective so there is room to debate the merits of a proposal and to justify your position without resorting to insults.

I think we're all capable of communicating and articulating our opinions in a mature and constructive way.

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#184 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:01 am

I would love to see a tall building on this site, a 109m building here would truly be something to see coming along North Terrace, especially if it revitalises the heritage building below, and encourages everyone to use it! Reopen Club 199 as some kind of Family restaurant or bar, and somehow network it from Rundle Mall (even though I think it backs onto Woolworths?) then you would begin to reactivate this baron part of North Terrace that no one wants to go near.

I don't agree on the choice of design for the proposed building. I think it is a shameful proposition to place something so bland on this site and believe a taller version of the previous design would be much more fitting for Adelaide in our day and age. This current proposal reminds me of the Intercontinental, perhaps trendy for its time decades ago, but we should be beyond that. With the grade of the render, this is a building that is definitely being done on the cheap for a developer and given its location next to Rundle Mall, I don't think North Terrace is the place for it - I believe if this was built, it could be rectified by placing better quality apartment towers around it such as Realm, but its likely this could set a precedent.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#185 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:39 am

There is a chance this won't get built.

The student tower next to Adelaidean has stalled. The Twin Street tower was proposed and approved ages ago and there's been no action since. The only project I can think of that is going up that is specifically student accommodation is the one on Waymouth Street. It seems to me that this market has stalled?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#186 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:37 am

I hope so. I’d rather nothing than what we’ve been seeing.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#187 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:11 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:39 am

The student tower next to Adelaidean has stalled. The Twin Street tower was proposed and approved ages ago and there's been no action since. The only project I can think of that is going up that is specifically student accommodation is the one on Waymouth Street. It seems to me that this market has stalled?
Not sure about that, international student enrolments went up over the past year.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#188 Post by Nort » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 am

[Shuz] wrote:

The student tower next to Adelaidean has stalled. The Twin Street tower was proposed and approved ages ago and there's been no action since.
The site next to the Adelaidean is a great spot, so even if that student tower has fallen through I would be very surprised if we didn't see a major development there.

Twin Street would be a shame though, it looked like a decent unique development for what it is.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#189 Post by rev » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:20 pm

[Shuz] wrote:

Please don't get our hopes up that we will see an end to more of these future slums.

CDJ
High Rise Poster!

#190 Post by CDJ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:46 pm

The student building next to Adelaidean hasn't stalled. Not sure where that information has come from.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#191 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm

I think it’s more observational. It was meant to have started and there has been lots of inactivity. :secret:

Capbld
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#192 Post by Capbld » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:02 pm

As far as I know this building has now been let to a head contractor (Synergy Construct)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#193 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm
I think it’s more observational. It was meant to have started and there has been lots of inactivity. :secret:
Is it possible to have lots of inactivity? :D

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#194 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Capbld wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:02 pm
As far as I know this building has now been let to a head contractor (Synergy Construct)
And Twin street went out for tender too? So seems unlikely either have stalled?

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#195 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:58 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm
Is it possible to have lots of inactivity? :D
I had too much wine... OOPPPA