[U/C] Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#796 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:28 am

Pants wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Walker responsible for developing the tower, car park and retail and the government responsible for the open plaza areas?

Could the landscaping in the new tower/retail render just be generic, even though in the past the render has included the plaza designs we've seen previously?
They're cofunding but I'm not sure who's project managing (Renewal SA, maybe?). Either way, I suspect you're right. The plaza design (or at least masterplan?) was awarded to ARM Architecture/TCL, so this is probably just a marketing image not an actual indication of final look.
Keep Adelaide Weird

obituary resider
Gold-Member ;)

#797 Post by obituary resider » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:18 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:28 am
Pants wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Walker responsible for developing the tower, car park and retail and the government responsible for the open plaza areas?

Could the landscaping in the new tower/retail render just be generic, even though in the past the render has included the plaza designs we've seen previously?
They're cofunding but I'm not sure who's project managing (Renewal SA, maybe?). Either way, I suspect you're right. The plaza design (or at least masterplan?) was awarded to ARM Architecture/TCL, so this is probably just a marketing image not an actual indication of final look.
It is correct that concept design was undertaken by A-R-M / TCL but the detailed design phase is being undertaken by Aspect / Architectus. If they have gone to the effort to include a different design in a marketing image then I suspect what it shows will be close to what is currently planned (I believe they are about 75% detailed design).

My guess would be they have had to take significant cost saving measures. Pretty common place but you would hope for a location as prominent like this, the government would stump up.

Nort
Legendary Member!

#798 Post by Nort » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:38 pm

obituary resider wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:18 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:28 am
Pants wrote:

It is correct that concept design was undertaken by A-R-M / TCL but the detailed design phase is being undertaken by Aspect / Architectus. If they have gone to the effort to include a different design in a marketing image then I suspect what it shows will be close to what is currently planned (I believe they are about 75% detailed design).

My guess would be they have had to take significant cost saving measures. Pretty common place but you would hope for a location as prominent like this, the government would stump up.
Given his desire for a second tower, I suspect that render of the current plans has been made to have his building look as good as possible, with a very plain plaza so he can point and go "Oh gee whiz, if only the site was more profitable I could spend more on that part..."