[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: 27lvl Commercial & Entertainment tower - Festival P

#16 Post by Shahkar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:31 am

As far as the Riverside building is concerned, raze the IC hotel with it so the Convention Centre can be extended to a decent size in the future. Build the towers on North Terrace. But as Crawf said, make cinemas and what not where this impression stands.
Last edited by Shahkar on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Goya's Line » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:57 am

We need a tall on Hajek Plaza to block future views of 1 KW St. from the 'Oval.

metro
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by metro » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm all for a 100m+ tower on this site, such a building will change the Adelaide Skyline for the first time in decades. :banana:

webng
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#19 Post by webng » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm

As Dog mentioned, image is a concept only. The tower sits between Parliament House and Train Station. The smaller lower scale building is resi/retail/cafe/bars to activate the space North of Parliament House (currently the Plaza). The space in front of the Fectival Centre is an urban park comprising of playground, performance space etc.

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#20 Post by believesinadsy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:47 pm

If this goes ahead it would be awesome if Le Cordon Bleu got on board in the commencial tower :2cents:

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:00 pm

believesinadsy wrote:If this goes ahead it would be awesome if Le Cordon Bleu got on board in the commencial tower :2cents:
Why would they? They own the old Gallerie on North Tce, and don't do anything with it.

Patrick_27

#22 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm all for high-rise development, but this building is far too tall for that area, it'll dwarf it's surrounds. And knowing Adelaide's track record, the chance of anyone building any high-rises of similar height around there is slim.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by phenom » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:55 pm

I think the render seems a bit out of proportion or at least presents it from an odd angle. The Hotel Intercontinental is 87m high, so this thing if it was just over 100m wouldn't be that out of place. Also being Adelaide, if we don't take advantage of one of the rare new buildings that dares to break the dangerous 100m limit it's not like we'll get a better redesign at a lower level... we'll get a stumpy fat thing that goes with all the other stumpy fat things we seem to be building.

What I'm looking forward to is the awesome impression North Terrace (when all major projects are well underway/complete) will present to those arriving by plane (at least, the bulk of landings which seem to come in past the city). What a brief but impressive glimpse it will be of some of our best architecture and developments and for many, hopefully, a really good first impression.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#24 Post by rev » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:00 pm

webng wrote:As Dog mentioned, image is a concept only. The tower sits between Parliament House and Train Station. The smaller lower scale building is resi/retail/cafe/bars to activate the space North of Parliament House (currently the Plaza). The space in front of the Fectival Centre is an urban park comprising of playground, performance space etc.
Between the train station and parliament house, is old parliament house.
As there is no mention of old parliament house, which I think is probably heritage listed(even if it wasn't it shouldn't be demolished), I believe this sits behind Parliament house in the plaza that is located between parliament and the festival center.
You can even see where it sits in the second image..which still has old parliament house still intact.

The first render is clearly out of proportion and makes the tower look wider then it is. Even though it's only an artists impression.
Patrick_27 wrote:I'm all for high-rise development, but this building is far too tall for that area, it'll dwarf it's surrounds. And knowing Adelaide's track record, the chance of anyone building any high-rises of similar height around there is slim.
It's not too tall. Look across the road.

webng
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#25 Post by webng » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:35 pm

rev wrote: ...
Between the train station and parliament house, is old parliament house.
As there is no mention of old parliament house, which I think is probably heritage listed(even if it wasn't it shouldn't be demolished), I believe this sits behind Parliament house in the plaza that is located between parliament and the festival center.
You can even see where it sits in the second image..which still has old parliament house still intact.
The Old Parliament House is indeed heritage listed. The tower component sits between Parliament House and the Train Station north of Old Parliament House. Yes it does extend into the existing plaza, but North of the Parliament House is actually the low rise component, as you can see from the images.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: VIS: 27lvl Commercial & Entertainment tower - Festival P

#26 Post by pushbutton » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Some great ideas there Crawf.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by bm7500 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 am

I think the tower component of this proposal will be a good thing for the Riverbank precinct and the City as a whole. However, The fact that the proposed Eastern annexe takes over the festival plaza area and removes the option to setup a 'Federation Square' type events space is wrong wrong wrong. This is purely a cash grab by the Government and has the potential to further alienate this space from the Riverbank precinct and City as a whole. :x
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

[Shuz]

#28 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:50 am

I'm just absolutely gobsmacked, that with all the bloody space we have in this gigantic 1 square mile CBD of ours, and yet, the Ministerial DPA calls for rezoning of Riverbank land to allow a commercial office tower?

No. NO. NO.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 am

At least that ugly monstrosity known as the Stamford will be blocked from certain views. My main concern is how is another pedestrian plaza going to survive when there's already plans for Vic Square and the Southern Plaza?. Festival Square looks good but do we have enough demand for it?

I'm so torn on what should happen to this site.

Nathan

#30 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:16 am

crawf wrote: My main concern is how is another pedestrian plaza going to survive when there's already plans for Vic Square and the Southern Plaza?. Festival Square looks good but do we have enough demand for it?
Given the Adelaide habit of sticking a whole bunch of things on at once, then I think it's fine to have two "centres" to the city. One around the riverbank, North Tce and the mall, and one around Victoria Sq, Markets and Gouger St.