[U/C] Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#841 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 pm
I'm not saying the concept design for the square is by any means exceptional, or that it can't be improved, but consider me really bloody sceptical of Walker Group's intent here. It strikes me as an exercise of shifting goal posts and passing bucks -- specifically, the supposed 'costs blowouts', issues of 'clutter' and ill-defined edges all while their desire to plonk another oversized tower on the site remains undiminished. Sounds like they're trying to sweeten a deal that was already distastefully sweet.

However, in terms of design ambition were it to be reworked... do we really need it to facilitate very large events? I mean, Elder Park is just out front.
If the government had any sense, they would buy the completed carpark back from Walker and hand the open space on top to the Festival Centre as they had intended to do at the election before the last. Leave it to the Festival Centre to decide what happens to the site.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#842 Post by how good is he » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm

I agee SRW and it’s looks like its going to be a congested area let alone adding another tower.
The stakeholders have had years to agree and did sign off on the plan so I am wondering why didn’t they make their suggestions or any changes at the start?
Also with multiple neighbouring stakeholders I doubt any changes will keep everyone happy however if they did all agree with a new plan, then put it out so we all could see and decide on it.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#843 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:09 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm
I agee SRW and it’s looks like its going to be a congested area let alone adding another tower.
The stakeholders have had years to agree and did sign off on the plan so I am wondering why didn’t they make their suggestions or any changes at the start?
Also with multiple neighbouring stakeholders I doubt any changes will keep everyone happy however if they did all agree with a new plan, then put it out so we all could see and decide on it.
Yes, they did have years however the previous state government weren't exactly transparent with the public (and probably not transparent with all of the relevant stakeholders) about what was happening with the plaza. Remember, this is the same government who gave the Festival Centre $90m to upgrade the exterior only, when the centre management had pointed out that the interior was in much greater need of the funding.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#844 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:09 pm
how good is he wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Yes, they did have years however the previous state government weren't exactly transparent with the public (and probably not transparent with all of the relevant stakeholders) about what was happening with the plaza. Remember, this is the same government who gave the Festival Centre $90m to upgrade the exterior only, when the centre management had pointed out that the interior was in much greater need of the funding.
That's not entirely true. Most of the money was spent on structural repairs and reorienting the entrance to the north, but money was also spent upgrading facilities internally too. Just nowhere near enough.

But I agree. Some bloody transparency here please. We still haven't ever seen the full plans for the tower, which was uniquely approved in confidence by cabinet.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#845 Post by rev » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:50 am

Not my photo
20191207_034646.jpg

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#846 Post by Brando » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm