[APP] Queen Adelaide Club | 83m | 21 levels | Mixed

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Queen Adelaide Club | 83m | 21 levels | Mixed

#1 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Proposed redevelopment of the Queen Adelaide Club is going before the DAC this Thursday.

21 Levels of mixed use, mainly apartments with ground floor retail. There is a Prada sign in the render but that doesn't neccesarily mean anything. The heritage frontage of the Stephens place building will be retained.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[APP] Re: PRO: CNR North TCE & Stephens PLC | 83m | 21 levels | Mi

#2 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:36 pm

That's come out of nowhere! Interesting that the render includes the Gawler Chambers proposal next door. The subtle curved corners, and the lighting treatment lift it up a notch. And hooray for blocking off a view of the carpark (and partially the Myer Centre) from North Tce.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Plasmatron » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:06 pm

I can imagine some people complaining about the Myer clock tower being blocked, but otherwise I like the look and placement of this one. Retaining the heritage building is quite a unique touch, for such a sleek and modern design. Here's hoping it doesn't get discussed for years then quietly disappear like so many other proposals.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

Waewick

#4 Post by Waewick » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:23 pm

nice one.

great location should help.

metro
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by metro » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Looks like a great proposal. As Nathan said it certainly is interesting they show the not even built Gawler Chambers building in their pics. I think the two developers should team up and combine the two buildings and increase the height to 150m - a new tallest! :wink:

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by slenderman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Are they going to demolish a bit of the heritage building (that part between the corner part and the Gawler Chambers)? The renders seem to indicate that, and I don't like it if that's the case. Actually, it looks like they're planning to demolish all of the building except for the small part on the corner. Why? I'm not a NIMBY, but come on, show some respect!

The tower itself looks superb, but please don't sacrifice heritage to build it. Could the heritage be better incorporated into the design, with more of it being retained?

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Dvious » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:45 pm

That looks like absolute crap. Surely you guy's can't all like this.. Im sorry but unless i see some better renders, im very unimpressed.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 pm

It is interesting to note that this development is being proposed by the Queen Adelaide Club. The first 6 levels will incorporate facilities for the club, including accommodation. The remaining 14 levels will incorporate 28, 3 bedroom retirement apartments for members of the Queen Adelaide Club. Considering the nature of the proposal there is a high likelihood of it becoming a reality.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Mants » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:04 pm

anything to hide that monstrosity behind it.

developments along North Terrace are vital in changing the aesthetic of Adelaide's skyline and I see this one as a very welcome addition.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[APP] Re: PRO: Queen Adelaide Club | 83m | 21 levels | Mixed

#10 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:59 pm

This will no doubt sell fast. Amazing location with sweeping views over North Terrace, the Riverbank and beyond.

Nathan

#11 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:17 pm

Just a thought on the inclusion of the Gawler Chambers proposal in the render. It could be just to give context. On it's own, this building would stick out quite a lot, being tall and thin. By showing the neighbouring proposal, it completely changes the impression of the building and the height no longer seems out of place.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 am

slenderman wrote:Are they going to demolish a bit of the heritage building (that part between the corner part and the Gawler Chambers)? The renders seem to indicate that, and I don't like it if that's the case. Actually, it looks like they're planning to demolish all of the building except for the small part on the corner. Why? I'm not a NIMBY, but come on, show some respect!
I tend to agree; I don't see why they couldn't keep more of the original buildings, nor that they've been as sympathetic or complementary as they should've been to the parts that they have seen fit to keep.
Nathan wrote:And hooray for blocking off a view of the carpark (and partially the Myer Centre) from North Tce.
This, though. This encourages me to overlook the potential design flaws and tentatively welcome it. Even more so if they can get the council to remove that corner's slip lane as they've envisaged in the renders.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#13 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 am

I likey.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rhino

#14 Post by rhino » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:58 am

I'm impressed. Hope it goes ahead. Sounds like they have their market all organised (retirement apartments for members of the Queen Adelaide Club).
cheers,
Rhino

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by SuperEgz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 am

This looks awesome! I am pleasantly surprised that an organisation like the Queen Adelaide Club wants to do something like this. Are they finally moving into the 21st century?