[COM] 150 Wright Street | 74m | 23 Levels | Bohem Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 150 Wright Street | 73m | 23 Levels | Bohem Apartments

#46 Post by Ben » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:26 am

Type
Schedule 10

Application Number
S10/8/2015/A

Lodgement Date
03/06/2015

Latest Decision

Location 150-152 Wright Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description Vary previous authorisation - construction of 22 level residential tower with ground floor commercial and associated car parking - VARIATION - Increase building height, reduce number of appartments from 223 to 220, increase number of onsite car spaces 200 to 210 and revision of internal layouts on various levels.

Applicant Name

STARFISH DEVELOPMENTS

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:10 pm

Another height increase!? This one's a beast for that part of the city as it is!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Wayno » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:05 pm

Increase height by how much? for additional levels or other reasons?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Ben » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:32 pm

This is in todays paper for tenders.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:26 pm

adelaide's tallest green wall planned for Bohem

From Indaily
Living walls, vertical gardens, plant walls or green walls – whatever it is you want to call them, they are not just a passing trend.

Implementing greenery into large-scale urban properties requires innovation in method and design as the move towards higher density, inner-city living gathers pace around the developed world.

Bohem, a new residential apartment development to be situated on the corner of Morphett and Wright Streets near Whitmore Square in the CBD, aims to showcase the use of a living wall in all its vertical glory for both practical and aesthetic reasons.

Managing director of Starfish Developments Damon Nagel says the 22m-high living wall to the right of the entrance sets the building apart.

“The living wall is 22 metres in total, incorporates six to eight different plant species, and is the largest one we know of in Adelaide,” he says.

“It rivals the ANZ building’s green wall by miles.”

And the use of greenery as a design component doesn’t stop there.

The façade of the entire building will be layered with more than 3000 exotic plants, creating an integrated vertical landscape woven across each level of the building.

The design objective is to connect the façade of Bohem with the presence of neighbouring Whitmore Square and its gardens.

Nagel says the goal has always been to minimise the distinction between the two sites.

“The plants were right at the forefront of the design of the building and the idea is that when you’re standing in the park you’re not sure where park ends and where the building begins,” he says.

“Bohem will only enhance and challenge the conventional thinking of architecture and how it ties in with its surroundings.

“The plants make it very original and it may influence and inspire other architects to think laterally about building materials and architecture.”

Tract landscape architect Hayley Irvine says her extensive use of plants and greenery aims to complement the square.

“The intent of the greenery is to essentially wrap the green from the neighbouring square, up the façade,” she says.

“We were designing for colour and form in order to compliment the all important façade and we’re aiming for seasonal variation to match that of the square below.”

According to Nagel, Bohem is nearly four months into the sale process, which is tracking as expected with owner-occupiers at 40 per cent.

Nagel says features such as a rooftop recreation pool and deck, commercial spaces on Morphett Street and funky retail offerings on Wright Street to match the arty vibe of the area give him confidence the building will be fully occupied by completion.

Bohem offers a range of different lifestyle choices with smaller apartments ranging from $339,000 to $580,000 and two different levels of luxury penthouse.

The first penthouse variety is selling from $1 million to $1.3 million, while the more opulent penthouse options – positioned at corners of the building allowing for views spanning the city to the foothills – feature two-storey, seven-metre-tall ceilings and range from $2 million to $2.5 million to purchase.

Nagel says the development is a sign that Adelaide is increasingly competitive with architecture on a national scale.

“In the last two years we’ve had phenomenal growth, and we’re maturing with our building,” he said.

“We’re experiencing better design and we’re starting to see that impact and enjoy the effects.”
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#51 Post by rev » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:05 pm

Wayno wrote:Increase height by how much? for additional levels or other reasons?
who cares for what, it's taller :lol:

Patrick_27

#52 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:28 pm

rev wrote:
Wayno wrote:Increase height by how much? for additional levels or other reasons?
who cares for what, it's taller :lol:
Why does height matter? Particularly in a flat area of Adelaide's CBD. Height in northern end of the CBD grid, I get that. But in a south-west pocket of the CBD you could build a 20m tall building an it'd have an impact. I don't get why on this forum, if it's taller it's better but if it's shorter it's not tall enough... Is this forum not about progression? Any such building is good, tall or not. And tall doesn't necessarily mean good, I'd rather this building be shorter so it's awful design isn't too obvious from afar.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#53 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Why does height matter? Particularly in a flat area of Adelaide's CBD. Height in northern end of the CBD grid, I get that. But in a south-west pocket of the CBD you could build a 20m tall building an it'd have an impact. I don't get why on this forum, if it's taller it's better but if it's shorter it's not tall enough... Is this forum not about progression? Any such building is good, tall or not. And tall doesn't necessarily mean good, I'd rather this building be shorter so it's awful design isn't too obvious from afar.
So many on this forum are height obsessed. I'd rather a building be functional, engaging and create activity than just be focused on bland height that does nothing for the city.

Height's fine, but let's not focus on phallic point scoring crap which leads to tall but dead cities.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:24 am

Around the squares more height usually means more people, meaning more activities and more facilities in the square for everyone to enjoy.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:31 am

phallicism is a phallacy in this phorum.

S-A members are a well educated group. We know the importance of street level activation, not height simply for the sake of it. As Norman said, greater height simply means more people in the square mile, which helps fuel activation.

PeFe

#56 Post by PeFe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:58 am

Wayno wrote:phallicism is a phallacy in this phorum.
That has got to be "the" quote of the year(so far) on this forum :lol:

[Shuz]

#57 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:12 am

I think its fair to say the obsession with height amongst a few people here (I'm guilty myself) is simply because of the lack thereof in Adelaide. We have 3 buildings over 100m in Adelaide. It's impossible to crack triple-digits metres it seems.

Westpac House has been the city's tallest building since 1988 - that's 27 years now. It's a measly 132m, which isn't even that tall, when you consider that fact in comparison to a number of benchmarks; height in other Australian cities, cities of similar population size, cities with airports in close proximity - factors which influence the economic viability of 'taller' buildings.

Not to mention that the building itself, is by default, an association with the State Bank collapse. In essence, a permanent monument of the 1992-1993 recession and the negative consequences that followed in diminishing state pride and reputation. Yes, we've come a long way since, with things like the Adelaide Oval and small bars legislation and festivals which have done well to rebuild our state pride and reputation - but nevertheless, when one looks up to the skies in Adelaide - wherever you are, Westpac still looms large over the rest of the city, and we are subconsciously reminded of our past.

I think that's why with any new development or proposal - we get just that tad bit excited with height increases. For Boheme, it's the fact that's it's quite exceptionally tall for the South-East, which is such a low-rise part of the CBD. It really changes your perception of that whole area.

The same goes for the psychological impact that Vue is having for the City South region. We bemoaned the stunted heights of Edge and Wave and 400KWS, which were impacted by the ACC's 'artifical' height limits of 40m at the time of thier construction. Now, all of a sudden we have this 90m behemoth going up.

It's the same impact that Eclipse will have for the Rundle Mall precinct - and in that case, it's not just the height compared to the rest of the surrounding area, but the design of the building itself which is going to be nothing like we've seen before in Adelaide.

123 Flinders was the game-changer - a new tallest building for the city (even if it was only by 3m) in an extraordinary design and in the city's East, standing even taller compared to its surroundings.

The two 100m+ hotels for Currie Street... the 100m proposal for Flinders Street, the 98m proposal for the office tower on Pirie Street, the 123m office tower proposal on Currie Street - these are all 'game-changers' in terms of psychological perceptions of our city. I just wish that the market would realise this - what the impact would be if it just actually happened! Build it... and the rest will follow.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#58 Post by rev » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Ummm.....wow?

My comment was just a joke guys. It's a couple extra meters, big deal.

Although yes, I also believe we need taller buildings. But why can't tall buildings and street activation go together?

Patrick_27

#59 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:34 pm

rev wrote:Ummm.....wow?

My comment was just a joke guys. It's a couple extra meters, big deal.

Although yes, I also believe we need taller buildings. But why can't tall buildings and street activation go together?
I can see eye-to-eye with that response. :)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Small comment in this article mentioning 35% sold. Quite low numbers considering Vue's sales. I'm not surprised though, Vue is much more appealing IMO.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 7441193907