[COM] 27-31 Angas Street | 103m | 30 Levels | Kodo Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 27-31 Angas Street | 103m | 30 lvls | Kodo Apartments

#46 Post by thecityguy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:47 am

Im all for the height of this thing, but honestly think the building looks average.

Cant say I like the green at all, I think this will look dated pretty quickly. reminds me of a few other apartment buildings in Adelaide that have utilized bold colors on the outside, they look dated and cheap tbh (although I dont think this is as bad).

I also think something like this cant have blank walls on one side.....an 108m blank concrete wall, no thanks, not with no other tall buildings around it to hide it.

Something beautiful and unorthodox is just what Adelaide needs for its tallest residential building.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:18 am

I went to the launch Saturday (and put an apartment on hold). They don't need pre commitment to start construction on this one and site works will start in March with construction in April. I was told 50% of the apartments have either been sold or on hold within a few days. Stage 2 is likely to be announced early next year, no indication as to size but I wouldn't be surprised it this was to be our new tallest in general, assuming the apartment demands keeps up. One disappointing feature is a completely solid blank western wall. I was told this is to keep the buildings energy costs down by keeping the heat out... disappointing really.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by Blimp » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:42 pm

The blank western wall is the disappointing element of this proposal. Perhaps it could be used as a canvas for some form of mural, a 100+ meter mural would look striking from Victoria Square and create a talking point (similar to what they've done around Port Adelaide on the old police building). Would bet better than looking at a blank wall imo.

Regardless of the wall its good to see Adelaide breaking ground first with Vue and from the discussion above this to follow. Considering the size of the site they have in possession looking forward to what they propose for stage 2!

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#49 Post by Ho Really » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Ben wrote:[...]

One disappointing feature is a completely solid blank western wall. I was told this is to keep the buildings energy costs down by keeping the heat out... disappointing really.
Why don't they use that heat (sun) to produce electricity? Come on developers let's think outside of the box!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#50 Post by rev » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 am

Ho Really wrote:
Ben wrote:[...]

One disappointing feature is a completely solid blank western wall. I was told this is to keep the buildings energy costs down by keeping the heat out... disappointing really.
Why don't they use that heat (sun) to produce electricity? Come on developers let's think outside of the box!

Cheers
Window panels with built in solar power components? Such technology exists today I'm pretty sure.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by AG » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:07 pm

If another developer were to proceed with another apartment building on the adjacent block, would you want to be looking directly into the apartment block right next door?

Ho Really

#52 Post by Ho Really » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:41 am

AG wrote:If another developer were to proceed with another apartment building on the adjacent block, would you want to be looking directly into the apartment block right next door?
Isn't there an alleyway on the western side?

In a city of highrises you have no option but to look into other peoples' apartments. Besides would you rather face a blank (concrete) wall? If it had creepers I'd accept that.

Cheers

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#53 Post by rev » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:02 am

Ho Really wrote:
AG wrote:If another developer were to proceed with another apartment building on the adjacent block, would you want to be looking directly into the apartment block right next door?
Isn't there an alleyway on the western side?

In a city of highrises you have no option but to look into other peoples' apartments. Besides would you rather face a blank (concrete) wall? If it had creepers I'd accept that.

Cheers

True that. Was in Melbourne the other week and from my hotel balcony I could see many apartment towers and there balconies and through some windows/sliding doors that had curtains drawn back.
It's all part of high rise living.

Similar to the traditional home you can look over the fence with ease.

PeFe

#54 Post by PeFe » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:06 am

From the 'Tiser
Kodo development on Angas St to have city’s largest rooftop garden

THE city’s largest rooftop garden will be created when the $100 million Kodo apartment tower is built.
The 1074sq m Sky Garden would be similar to a public park and include lawns, trees, barbecues and areas for residents to grow vegetables and herbs.
It would also include a floating pavilion and outdoor furniture.
The rooftop garden was designed by the Woods Bagot design firm.
Principal architect Peter Miglis said building a rooftop garden would provide better facilities and value for residents.
“Feedback from Kodo’s developers and people living in other Adelaide apartment buildings was that strata fees were too high because they funded the maintenance of facilities like pools and gyms which were only used by a handful of residents.”

The Kodo development, on Angas St, is set to be Adelaide’s tallest residential building at 103.2m, which includes 30-storeys and 208 apartments.
The project has been approved and construction is expected to start early next year, depending on pre-sale levels.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7639712551

Waewick

#55 Post by Waewick » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 am

that would be insanely cool.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by floplo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Ho Really wrote: Why don't they use that heat (sun) to produce electricity? Come on developers let's think outside of the box!
two thirds of the wall will be blocked by the Law Courts building, the rest is facing west (so no sun before noon) and would require panels to be mounted completely vertically... my guess is that solar panels is a pretty badly money (as well as energetically) losing proposition

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:12 pm

It doesnt effect the height but this building is actually 33 levels due to 3 2 level levels counted singulerly. Hope that makes sense :(

Ho Really

#58 Post by Ho Really » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 pm

floplo wrote:
Ho Really wrote: Why don't they use that heat (sun) to produce electricity? Come on developers let's think outside of the box!
two thirds of the wall will be blocked by the Law Courts building, the rest is facing west (so no sun before noon) and would require panels to be mounted completely vertically... my guess is that solar panels is a pretty badly money (as well as energetically) losing proposition
Viewing the renderings there seems to be plenty of Kodo that's above the Law Courts' roof level. Whether it's cost effective or productive, I don't know.

Cheers

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by Dvious » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:08 pm

@Ben - How are apartment sales going? If you don't mind me asking - as i saw you mentioned you had purchased one.

This has more chances of being completed before New Mayfield or Palladium does!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi Dvious. I was in the sales centre on Sunday and I'd say half had sold stickers with another 1/4 on hold. I'll try and get some more solid figures.

There will be an article in Saturdays paper about this and the apartment boom, potentially with a terrible "cheesy" photo of myself.