[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#166 Post by Waewick » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 pm

Brucetiki wrote:My Gosh Wingard is a talentless hack.

SA Sports Infrastructure's waned in the past 16 years? Has he not seen Adelaide Oval?

The Libs need to get this development right to avoid another Hindmarsh Stadium situation.
Well we did go from 2 national stadiums to 1...... ;)

Edit - but in all seriousness, if you speak to people in the community they do feel like big ticket items (AO and nRAH) have come at the cost to other services to the broader community.

Don't know how much truth is in that.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#167 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:57 am

Waewick wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 pm

SA Sports Infrastructure's waned in the past 16 years? Has he not seen Adelaide Oval?

The Libs need to get this development right to avoid another Hindmarsh Stadium situation.

Edit - but in all seriousness, if you speak to people in the community they do feel like big ticket items (AO and nRAH) have come at the cost to other services to the broader community.

Footy Park was a wind swept concrete bowl stuck in the 1980s and the RAH was a deteriorating rabbit warren full of asbestos. Both needed to be replaced.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#168 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:14 am

Waewick wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 pm

I don't know how spending more money on another stadium would counter your anecdote, but I must say that the level of civic pride around Adelaide Oval is astounding. I have encountered precisely zero people complaining about it. There should be enough good faith in that for the new government to get this multipurpose venue off the ground.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#169 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm

I sincerely hope that when this is done, it’s done properly.

Concerned about the references to “small to medium concerts” that keep popping up. There’s the perfect opportunity here for a decent purpose built arena smack bang in the middle of the city.

Does the government own the Entertainment Centre?
Knock it down and sell the land off to help pay for Memorial Drive Arena if that’s what it takes.

I’d rather wait a couple of years for this to be properly funded than end up with a cheap, half arsed venue with a few thousand seats less than it really needs.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#170 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Knock it down and sell the land off to help pay for Memorial Drive Arena if that’s what it takes.
Unlikely this could happen, since the Govts. $50 million investment 5 or 6 years ago, plus the new-ish multi level car park next door. This facility is also well serviced by
trams, being the well advertised last stop on our current service.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#171 Post by Goodsy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm
Matt wrote:

Unlikely this could happen, since the Govts. $50 million investment 5 or 6 years ago, plus the new-ish multi level car park next door. This facility is also well serviced by
That just adds to the property value if they build apartments there

Patrick_27

#172 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:47 pm
Matt wrote:

That just adds to the property value if they build apartments there
Different government and it was an investment made eight years ago, once again Adelaide's getting less music tours coming through town so there is now argument enough to consider incorporating Adelaide's major music arena into this development; it'll also work nicely in filling the venue's schedule when there aren't sporting events scheduled at the venue... Regarding the AEC site, retain the Theatre and carpark and ether extend the Bowden works into this site or otherwise use the site for a new rectangular stadium. Would require at-least a billion dollar investment, but considering the WA government just spent the same on the new Perth Oval, such an expense shouldn't need to be justified and if both work out like Adelaide Oval has, they'll pay themselves off within a five year timeframe.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#173 Post by Goodsy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Different government and it was an investment made eight years ago, once again Adelaide's getting less music tours coming through town so there is now argument enough to consider incorporating Adelaide's major music arena into this development; it'll also work nicely in filling the venue's schedule when there aren't sporting events scheduled at the venue... Regarding the AEC site, retain the Theatre and carpark and ether extend the Bowden works into this site or otherwise use the site for a new rectangular stadium. Would require at-least a billion dollar investment, but considering the WA government just spent the same on the new Perth Oval, such an expense shouldn't need to be justified and if both work out like Adelaide Oval has, they'll pay themselves off within a five year timeframe.
Which would involve the current Liberal government admitting that the previous Labor government didn't actually put the state into serious financial trouble and their spending was justified

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#174 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:29 pm

Yep, well what I should've said is..... if we do this then do it properly. A 20,000 seat stadium to house netball, tennis show court, soccer and rugby stadium. With a retractable roof. Plus will also accommodate these international acts, that are mostly by-passing Adelaide due to lack of demand, not lack of a proper venue.

Patrick_27

#175 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:29 pm
Yep, well what I should've said is..... if we do this then do it properly. A 20,000 seat stadium to house netball, tennis show court, soccer and rugby stadium. With a retractable roof. Plus will also accommodate these international acts, that are mostly by-passing Adelaide due to lack of demand, not lack of a proper venue.
Why do you keep grouping soccer and rugby into a arena for tennis, netball basketball, music etc? Where the hell in the world has that happened and actually worked because everywhere I know of separates court sports from field sports in terms of facilities.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#176 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Why do you keep grouping soccer and rugby into a arena for tennis, netball basketball, music etc? Where the hell in the world has that happened and actually worked because everywhere I know of separates court sports from field sports in terms of facilities.
Do I?

I wasn't aware.

We've held a boxing match at Adelaide Oval. What's the difference?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#177 Post by Goodsy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Do I?

I wasn't aware.

We've held a boxing match at Adelaide Oval. What's the difference?
Most of the boxing crowd were sitting on deck chairs around the ring, the Oval seating itself was pretty empty from what I can remember. As far as I'm concerned it was a crappy marketing event for the Oval and would have been better suited at an arena where the facilities are actually used. Outside of AFL and Cricket there aren't a whole lot of sports or events that can take advantage of a stadium the size of Adelaide Oval, or any AFL/Cricket ground in Australia

Edit:

Here's the Mundine-Green fight, seems like Adelaide Oval itself was barely used.. It could have been held anywhere

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Ommaglobb!! As usual lately Goodsy has zero idea on what I'm trying to say.

That photo was taken early. You should be a writer for The Advertiser.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#179 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:39 pm

I happened to be at that fight. I happened to pay $220 for a ticket in the stand. And the crowd was big, but prolly not big enough for Adelaide Oval.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#180 Post by Goodsy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:39 pm
I happened to be at that fight. I happened to pay $220 for a ticket in the stand. And the crowd was big, but prolly not big enough for Adelaide Oval.
Do you have any pictures from your view? I'm curious to know if you could actually see anything