[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#526 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:59 am
Nathan wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 am
Am I the only one that doesn't particularly like the idea of turning 500m on each side of our main boulevard into the city into an ode to (spectator) sport, filled with stadiums?

Also, is the church at Hindmarsh that much of an impediment? We've lost things of far greater heritage value, for far less useful developments.
I'm with you on this. By all means fit a multi-purpose arena in there but a soccer stadium is a bit much, these are some of our best kept parks, why destroy them? I'd be more in favour of getting an arena done and then if the demand is there build a new soccer stadium where Priceline Stadium is at Mile End.

The church at Hindmarsh is actually a performing arts theatre, as part of the Holden Street theatre complex; would be sad to see it go because it's well used. That said, as a thespian myself, if you provide a suitable replacement (if it were to be demolished), people will be less likely to kick up a fuss at its loss.
One of the church buildings is used for Holden St Theatres.

Another is a staff room, while another one is largely unused.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#527 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 am
Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:06 am
ghs wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am
Going off topic here, but what future does Titanium arena have now that the 36ers aren't using it ?
I reckon once the Lightning find a smaller home (be it Priceline Stadium, or one of the district courts), then TSA will quickly be sold to either Influencers or Edge or be sold for housing. I think Influencers will take a passing look at the site, but they're currently upgrading their Paradise campus so I'm not sure how strong their interest will be. Edge have been trying to find a large site since they left Hindley St (having unsuccessfully tried to acquire what's now Zooper's used car lot in Mile End and the former Schweppes factory in Payneham), and with their Findon campus literally around the corner I can see them taking a very strong interest in the site.

If it does become a church, it'll somewhat be history repeating when it comes to disused NBL stadia in the state, with Apollo Stadium becoming Coastlands brief home once the 36ers moved out.
Who knows, considering the government don't own it, there's no telling what will happen. That said, Hillcrest basketball arena is up for sale so it looks like whoever the governing body of basketball is in this state they're dumping assets wherever they can.
Basketball SA don't own TSA though (that was part of the fire sale of the former BASA that also saw the 36ers and Lightning fall under private ownership). It's joinly owned by the Scouts and the Church Basketball Association.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#528 Post by rev » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:55 am

Nort wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:37 am
rev wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:48 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:59 am

I'm with you on this. By all means fit a multi-purpose arena in there but a soccer stadium is a bit much, these are some of our best kept parks, why destroy them? I'd be more in favour of getting an arena done and then if the demand is there build a new soccer stadium where Priceline Stadium is at Mile End.

The church at Hindmarsh is actually a performing arts theatre, as part of the Holden Street theatre complex; would be sad to see it go because it's well used. That said, as a thespian myself, if you provide a suitable replacement (if it were to be demolished), people will be less likely to kick up a fuss at its loss.
Park 12 is used as a sporting field. Thats why its maintained.
Park 21 & 6 could be used, brought up to standard and maintained. Everyone wins.
Park 12 is publicly accessible when sports aren't being played on it, would that be the case for a stadium on the site?
Park 21 & 6 are and would be publicly accessible though.
By upgrading them, you open up more public space that is suitable to be used. Right now they are no different to scrub land, not really enticing places for people to use.
A stadium on park 12 fixes our need for a modern rectangular, suitable for major international events, stadium. Fixing up Park 21 & 6 fixes up our problem of run down tired scrub land for parklands.
It's a win win.
The Uni clubs could use Park 6 since it's not that far from their home at Park 12, and Park 21 can be used by others.
It's not like we lack parklands.
They could use the land at the SA Athletics & Netball stadiums of course. But, personally I think we need to consolidate as much into one precinct as possible, with a central body running the precinct. The more teams we can fit into fewer stadiums, the lower the cost to those teams & codes.
A wider precinct could also be a sporting & entertainment precinct, which would generate more revenue..think AO with all the functions & meetings that happen there, but on a larger scale/more venues.
If they are financially stable, tax payers wont have to bail them out. Port & the Crows are better off now, let's move Adelaide United, the 36ers, Thunderbirds, into new venues, along with Tennis SA. You guys do know that our top tennis players spend more time in Melbourne because it has far superior facilties?
Personally I think if we have to sacrifice a bit of parklands for it, while significantly upgrading other areas of the parklands by creating new sporting fields and planting more trees, it's worth it. The loss will be more then made up for with improving/greening up other areas of the parklands that are below substandard.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#529 Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 pm

You guys have won me over on co-locating our sporting facilities in the riverbank precinct.
riverbank.jpg

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#530 Post by madelaide » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 pm
You guys have won me over on co-locating our sporting facilities in the riverbank precinct.

riverbank.jpg

ha! well played. you win front row tickets to every event.

sidenote - i just realised you write all my favourite comments, nathan. keep up the good work!

Nathan

#531 Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:20 pm

madelaide wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:12 pm
Nathan wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 pm

riverbank.jpg

ha! well played. you win front row tickets to every event.

sidenote - i just realised you write all my favourite comments, nathan. keep up the good work!
:cheers:

rev

#532 Post by rev » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:44 am

Lame photoshop trolls aside.... the roof development is now complete. They have a small seating stand on the western side, looked temporary. I wonder if they'll add the giant fans like they did for Adelaide Oval.

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#533 Post by madelaide » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:40 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:44 am
I wonder if they'll add the giant fans like they did for Adelaide Oval.
i'm your only fan

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#534 Post by A-Town » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:03 pm

The roof is an improvement, yes, but still terribly underwhelming for that we should have there instead. I recall hearing that if we do end up getting a proper multipurpose arena at Memorial Drive one day that they can dismantle and reuse the roof structure elsewhere without too much difficulty. You certainly would hope so given the $10m it cost to be installed!

rev

#535 Post by rev » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:04 pm

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#536 Post by citywatcher » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:55 pm

You know it's about the best the Liberal party can do

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

claybro

#537 Post by claybro » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Why is this utterly embarrassing effort still listed as a vision on this thread? You all know deep down, now this roof is on, this will be as good as it gets for decades to come.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#538 Post by citywatcher » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Pretty much
Some people should just stick to helping small businesses cheat on their tax and then make cuts to services for the rest of us oinks cos there's no money left in the treasury
Commonwealth Games ? Couldn't organize a chook raffle.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

rev

#539 Post by rev » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:44 am

I wouldn't be so pessimistic, Labor will likely be back in charge at the next election and are more likely to do something with it. Would not be surprised if the roof was re-used over some of the re-done outdoor courts on the other side of Next Gen.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#540 Post by SRW » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:20 pm

ABC News has a report up about the push in Perth to upgrade declining tennis facilities and the competition among the capitals to get a piece of the pre-Aus Open fixtures. Don't mind the mildly exaggerated headline:

'When Rafael Nadal won't use the court at Perth's State Tennis Centre, it's time to ask questions'
Keep Adelaide Weird