[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#91 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 am

claybro wrote:The entertainment centre is a great attraction in the Hindmarsh area and extends the vibrancy of the city down Port road (sort of). It would be a shame for the area if it was vacated from its current site to be amalgamated into this venue. This proposal for Memorial Drive, if it accommodates basketball, netball and tennis will be great for those sports and the AO precinct. It allows for some flexibility with 2 larger size venues if they keep the existing Ent Cent. Finally that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position, and ETSA park is also looking a bit tired and cramped for larger events. This is a great outcome IF its gets off the ground, but as has been said. $10mil of pork barrel at election time does not contribute much in the way of actual work to get this off the ground.
the ETSA park location will be interesting. I know there is a push to kick to the Crows out of Footy Park, perhaps they'll end up there.

Nathan

#92 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:47 am

claybro wrote:The entertainment centre is a great attraction in the Hindmarsh area and extends the vibrancy of the city down Port road (sort of). It would be a shame for the area if it was vacated from its current site to be amalgamated into this venue. This proposal for Memorial Drive, if it accommodates basketball, netball and tennis will be great for those sports and the AO precinct. It allows for some flexibility with 2 larger size venues if they keep the existing Ent Cent. Finally that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position, and ETSA park is also looking a bit tired and cramped for larger events. This is a great outcome IF its gets off the ground, but as has been said. $10mil of pork barrel at election time does not contribute much in the way of actual work to get this off the ground.
Agreed. I think it's worthwhile having two larger size venues, and EC combined with Coopers Stadium keeps a nice bit of activity around Hindmarsh. When large concerts skip Adelaide, it's not always because of lack of demand here, but can often be availability of the Ent Centre doesn't fit with a tour schedule.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by ml69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 pm

BTW I know it's only an early concept, but I really quite like the design concept with the glass walls and flowing white band on the perimeter wall!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#94 Post by rev » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:07 pm

ml69 wrote:BTW I know it's only an early concept, but I really quite like the design concept with the glass walls and flowing white band on the perimeter wall!
It looks better then Adelaide Oval. Interestingly on the news last night the Tennis SA guy(was that one of the Woodies?) said it's only stage 1.

It's good to see that our ideas here, even being as obvious as they are, are things that are being considered and planned for.
Now if only someone would pick up my idea to expand the Torrens river around the eastern and southern parklands :lol:

ml69
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by ml69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:50 pm

If anyone wants to see the fly-through again (but don't have access through the adelaidenow paywall), go to youtube and search on "memorial drive adelaide redevelopment". Watch it as many times as you like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgqyFP0PFQQ

PS. Hasn't Fitzy aged in the video??!

Patrick_27

#96 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Nathan wrote:
Agreed. I think it's worthwhile having two larger size venues, and EC combined with Coopers Stadium keeps a nice bit of activity around Hindmarsh. When large concerts skip Adelaide, it's not always because of lack of demand here, but can often be availability of the Ent Centre doesn't fit with a tour schedule.
I disagree. I don't think the EC brings any genuine economic benefit to the area apart from perhaps the Gov on show nights, which would still flourish based on it's own events. The centre isn't used regularly enough to encourage any kind of nightlife around it and its events. Plus, apart from the tram and a couple of nearby bus routes coming from the north-west, it's completely cut off to PT coming from all areas of Adelaide. With this new arena, allowing for concert at a capacity of 7,000-8,000 would destroy the EC anyway, seeing as they usually average around 8,500-9,000 for most shows at the EC, promoters would go straight to this arena so they can book out their shows.

Think of what could be done with the EC site, as well as ETSA Park (or Priceline Stadium as it's now called), the EC land could become part of an extension to the Bowden development, small bars, restaurants, etc, giving the tram even more of a purpose, you could even retain the EC theatre (if Thebby becomes the victim of the South Road project, the theatre may be needed to fill the gap). ETSA Park could become similar, OR it could provide a nice piece of land for a new rectangular stadium... If we're talking five years from now. :wink:

Nathan

#97 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:18 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I disagree. I don't think the EC brings any genuine economic benefit to the area apart from perhaps the Gov on show nights, which would still flourish based on it's own events. The centre isn't used regularly enough to encourage any kind of nightlife around it and its events. Plus, apart from the tram and a couple of nearby bus routes coming from the north-west, it's completely cut off to PT coming from all areas of Adelaide. With this new arena, allowing for concert at a capacity of 7,000-8,000 would destroy the EC anyway, seeing as they usually average around 8,500-9,000 for most shows at the EC, promoters would go straight to this arena so they can book out their shows.

Think of what could be done with the EC site, as well as ETSA Park (or Priceline Stadium as it's now called), the EC land could become part of an extension to the Bowden development, small bars, restaurants, etc, giving the tram even more of a purpose, you could even retain the EC theatre (if Thebby becomes the victim of the South Road project, the theatre may be needed to fill the gap). ETSA Park could become similar, OR it could provide a nice piece of land for a new rectangular stadium... If we're talking five years from now. :wink:
You're forgetting two train lines, and quite a lot of bus routes that come down Port Rd, and Grange Rd / Adam St (more than a "couple").

There's actually quite a number of restaurants along Port Rd near the Ent Centre, which fill up before or after shows. It's all well and good filling the area up with more residential, small bars and restaurants - but large facilities help draw people into the area and thus patron those smaller businesses. You'd be surprised at the number of events that are put on at Ent Centre - it's not just touring concerts.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#98 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:57 am

Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#99 Post by claybro » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I disagree. I don't think the EC brings any genuine economic benefit to the area apart from perhaps the Gov on show nights, which would still flourish based on it's own events. The centre isn't used regularly enough to encourage any kind of nightlife around it and its events. Plus, apart from the tram and a couple of nearby bus routes coming from the north-west, it's completely cut off to PT coming from all areas of Adelaide. With this new arena, allowing for concert at a capacity of 7,000-8,000 would destroy the EC anyway, seeing as they usually average around 8,500-9,000 for most shows at the EC, promoters would go straight to this arena so they can book out their shows.
The current Ent Cent is actually as well served by PT as Memorial Drive. The new Bowden train station will be approximately 200m from the front door. The tram terminus about 50m. As Nathan says, a number of bus routes down Port Road. Along with Hindmarsh stadium, these venue are a big catalyst for activity in the area during what would be normally quiet week nights and weekends. The Ent Centre is well used. The proposed Memorial drive upgrade would not really take away functions from the Ent Cent, as it will cater to a different - mainly sporting market. The Hindmarsh ent cent as a venue is great for larger events around 10k and smaller events in its other space around 2k. It is the mid size concerts of around 5k that get "lost" in the larger venue and will be great in the more boutique mid size Memorial Drive venue.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#100 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:12 am

Waewick wrote:
the ETSA park location will be interesting. I know there is a push to kick to the Crows out of Footy Park, perhaps they'll end up there.
Considering the Crows have a long term lease at Football Park, they won't be moving anytime soon (at least 15-20 years I'd say).

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:16 am

rhino wrote:
claybro wrote: that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position
It's privately owned, jointly, by the Church Basketball Association and ScoutsSA, who are making money from it and saving themselves money by using it whenever they need a large venue, so your call for it to be moved will likely be ignored. Also, the spot is hardly tight, with many acres of parking whenever I've been there.
The 36ers are also owned by this joint venture.

Having said that, TSA is incredibly outdated with shocking facilities (even with the infamous score cube 'upgrade' that has less statistical information than the old score cube), so a move to a state of the art Memorial Drive would be fantastic, if they'd be permitted to leave TSA.

Waewick

#102 Post by Waewick » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:51 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Considering the Crows have a long term lease at Football Park, they won't be moving anytime soon (at least 15-20 years I'd say).
They do. But I'll think you'll find the SANFL and the developers are keen to move them on now.

Means a $ for the Crows and a new location needed

ChillyPhilly

#103 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 am

Developers might be keen, but the Crows have a free ride at West Lakes. They don't pay any rent.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#104 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:00 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Developers might be keen, but the Crows have a free ride at West Lakes. They don't pay any rent.
Their rent was fundamentally part of the higher licence fee they had to pay compared to Port for the AFL licence.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#105 Post by SRJ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:32 am

Now that the Turnbull government has got back in is this redevelopment going ahead? If so has anyone got an idea when it is likely to start? This excites me. I feel that with a good tennis centre we can have a precinct as good as Melbourne