[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#76 Post by rev » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 am

Will wrote:
rev wrote:
serca wrote:Rev I agree with some of what you said but Adelaide Oval having no international recognition or draw cards? What about the recently most viewed tv event in history India vs Pakistan?
And we missed out on the asian cup yes but Adelaide oval can be used for big event soccer matches - Liverpool vs Adelaide this year? Both of which would of not happened had it not been for the new AO. Also some of the big music gig's 50-60 thousand that we either miss out on or only get one show are now more appealing given the new AO

I think a 15,000-20,000 venue for tennis, basketball, netball, music gigs that kind of event would suite the spot. Entertainment centre possibly could remain no reason to get rid of it. But if this was redeveloped Adelaide arena, Aami stadium and ETSA park all would and should be redundant
A friendly match falls under different regulations then an international tournament. I think that's something that South Australian's need to become familiar with.
Of course Adelaide Oval has international recognition, I don't think I said it didn't, and if that's the message you got from my post then accept my sincere apology.

We tend to miss out on a lot of bigger events, because there just isn't enough ticket sales in Adelaide. The reasons for that can be argued endlessly.
Soundwave ticket sales this year were described as pathetic, and this was more then likely the last time Soundwave will come here.
Now for whatever reasons people aren't turning up like they used to. It's a long held belief and often proven, that these large events don't sell enough tickets in Adelaide and thus don't make enough money to justify the expense of coming here. Now don't shoot me Will, but that's what's out there.
Rev, don't think I'm attacking you with my posts. Indeed, I have agreed with many of your posts. Think of this as a disagreement between friends. I just feel you are been too critical of what our state can realistically do. I am not critical of you for wanting better things for the state, because I too want the same, I just feel it I unfair to criticise our state for things it cannot control.
Hm I thought I made a reply to your post..must have shutdown the pc before I pressed submit.

I know you're not attacking me, we all have a different opinion. A forum would be pointless if we all had the same opinions.
I have been rather overly critical lately. Guess I'm just frustrated that more isn't being done or happening.

Nathan I don't know the guy so can't comment.
Stereosonic is another example of poor ticket sales.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by ghs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:07 am

That arena in Glasgow looks really good, one question I have - is there enough room for an
arena like that at Memorial drive ?

Regarding Soundwave, the ticket sales were not good because the line up wasn't good.

Faith no more, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, etc. These bands have seen better days.

Faith no more first started back in 1981 !!!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#78 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:46 pm

ghs wrote:That arena in Glasgow looks really good, one question I have - is there enough room for an

Regarding Soundwave, the ticket sales were not good because the line up wasn't good.

Faith no more, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, etc. These bands have seen better days.

Soundwave's lineups have been catering to the now late 30s, early 40s set, who are starting to not go to this kind of thing. This is why ticket sales have been decreasing in the past two years. The kids these days like their easy listening music.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Patrick_27

#79 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:45 pm

monotonehell wrote:
ghs wrote:That arena in Glasgow looks really good, one question I have - is there enough room for an

Soundwave's lineups have been catering to the now late 30s, early 40s set, who are starting to not go to this kind of thing. This is why ticket sales have been decreasing in the past two years. The kids these days like their easy listening music.
No, that wasn't the reason ticket sales were bad; it may have contributed, but it wasn't the sole reason.
Soundwave's ticket sales have decreased in recent years in all states, not just Adelaide. Adelaide unfortunately is the easy target because when it does sell out (2013 for example) it only just breaks even, so any decrease in ticket sales looks bad in the books, but people forget for our small population and therefore narrower demographics that we actually do pretty well when we half-sell 35,000 tickets. Soundwave's biggest mistake this year was spreading out the festival over two days, because both days come with overhead costs and demand the same quantity of tickets to be sold both days - honestly, how can such expectations be placed on Adelaide? Soundwave's genre/style that it offers is quite a niche market especially when you factor in that beyond the second tier of bands on their line-up, most of the bands are targeted at teenage/young adults which Adelaide doesn't really have all that many who love metal/punk/hard rock... The person/s to blame is not Adelaide, it's the promoters who forget to factor all these things in when bringing these festivals here. They either need to bring smaller, cheaper festivals here or a bulk of well-priced side-shows. Let's not forget, with our state's current economic situation, price is a massive factor in all of this.

Also, saying this as a massive fan of Faith No More and Soundgarden, both bands couldn't be more in their prime if they tried. The Smashing Pumpkins perhaps have passed their used-by date for sure.
And Faith No More may have formed in 1981, but their commercial success only really begun in the early 90's. Either way, they still have a massive following.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 pm

subscribers Only
$10m to kickstart Memorial Drive rebirth.
A RETURNED Turnbull federal government would commit $10 million for a first-stage Memorial Drive upgrade Tennis SA believes would kickstart the final stages of the Adelaide Oval precinct redevelopment.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/ten ... 991839ddb6
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by Alyx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Don't get too excited, now - they are only committed to funding 5% of the estimated $200m cost. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like we deserve something more substantial than the venue envisaged below.
AdelaideNow wrote:A RETURNED Turnbull federal government would commit $10 million for a crucial first-stage Memorial Drive upgrade Tennis SA believes would kickstart the final stages of the Adelaide Oval precinct redevelopment.

The Advertiser can reveal that plans are underway for a new $200 million multi-purpose stadium, to be completed within five years.

It is envisaged it would have national netball and basketball sides as co-tenants, while squash would also be accommodated.

The venue would also stage major events and concerts.

The initial $9.786 million Memorial Drive “anchor project” would allow Adelaide to bid for key tournaments, including Davis Cups and Federation Cups.

An outdoor showcourt and two match courts will feature in a 24-court revamp of grass, hard and clay courts. A “walk of champions” will also be built, profiling the historical position of the site and great South Australian players.

“Not only will it bring more tennis to this great state, but it will also serve as an entertainment hub for the city,” said Minister for Industry, Innovation and Science Chris Pyne.

The Federal Government challenged its state counterparts to back the Tennis SA “vision” for an enclosed, “gender inclusive” multipurpose stadium at Memorial Drive.

The SA Government spent $535 million to upgrade Adelaide Oval for football and cricket.

“There is a feasibility study and business case that needs to be done but the $10 million is what the Commonwealth Government is putting on the table and we are getting the project under way,” said Mr Pyne.

“Once it gets under way it will be an unstoppable project.”

Tennis SA chief Steve Baldas said it would be “great” to give women’s sports like tennis and netball a presence in the Adelaide Oval precinct, with a vision similar to Melbourne’s popular Margaret Court Arena.

“The vision for centre court creates a multisport arena that would also be perfect for bring tennis events back to South Australia as well as Davis and Fed Cups,” said Mr Baldas.

Source: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/ten ... 991839ddb6

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Well, they really look like initial concepts, I'm sure the final render would have a lot more detail.

Waewick

#83 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:49 pm

wow, SA really getting a swag of cash.

looks great and sounds long overdue - what happens to the people who own the existing netball and basketball courts?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Waewick wrote:wow, SA really getting a swag of cash.
South Australian votes are looking like a deciding factor in who forms government this election, so the pork barreling will be at cynical levels. I do note, however, that these recent promises are all funding exploratory work and not actually funding construction. Each with their caveats and opt out clauses.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#85 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:wow, SA really getting a swag of cash.
South Australian votes are looking like a deciding factor in who forms government this election, so the pork barreling will be at cynical levels. I do note, however, that these recent promises are all funding exploratory work and not actually funding construction. Each with their caveats and opt out clauses.
True.I'm not holding my breath.

Patrick_27

#86 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 pm

This is likely to have something to do with the Coalition really wanting the seat of Adelaide. $10m really isn't that much, hardly worth a vote, especially if these concepts plans are already in some kind of a pipeline.

If these renders are what they're going by, though, It looks really small... I'd have thought any such redevelopment would need to incorporate the land that Next Gen sits on? It's a start I guess. I just hope that the mention of concerts means that this WILL become our primary concert venue. Having both a modern facility such as this and the Entertainment Centre would make about as much sense as the state Liberal proposal to build a new stadium on the railcards that is used for only one sporting code.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by ml69 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:This is likely to have something to do with the Coalition really wanting the seat of Adelaide. $10m really isn't that much, hardly worth a vote, especially if these concepts plans are already in some kind of a pipeline.

If these renders are what they're going by, though, It looks really small... I'd have thought any such redevelopment would need to incorporate the land that Next Gen sits on? It's a start I guess. I just hope that the mention of concerts means that this WILL become our primary concert venue. Having both a modern facility such as this and the Entertainment Centre would make about as much sense as the state Liberal proposal to build a new stadium on the railcards that is used for only one sporting code.
This proposal covers roughly the same footprint as the existing Memorial Drive centre court, hence I envisage the seating capacity is around 7000-7500 people. This make it roughly the same size as Margaret Court Arena in Melb. Such a capacity is ideal for tennis, netball, basketball and midsize concerts.

However, let's be clear, this is not our new Entertainment Centre ... it's too small for that.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:37 am

Bulldoze Next Generation, and make this a large enough to replace the Entertainment Centre.

Something similar to Perth Arena would be ideal... just a different design.

claybro

#89 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:52 am

The entertainment centre is a great attraction in the Hindmarsh area and extends the vibrancy of the city down Port road (sort of). It would be a shame for the area if it was vacated from its current site to be amalgamated into this venue. This proposal for Memorial Drive, if it accommodates basketball, netball and tennis will be great for those sports and the AO precinct. It allows for some flexibility with 2 larger size venues if they keep the existing Ent Cent. Finally that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position, and ETSA park is also looking a bit tired and cramped for larger events. This is a great outcome IF its gets off the ground, but as has been said. $10mil of pork barrel at election time does not contribute much in the way of actual work to get this off the ground.

rhino

#90 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:31 am

claybro wrote: that joke of a venue at Beverly can be moved from its tight little suburban position
It's privately owned, jointly, by the Church Basketball Association and ScoutsSA, who are making money from it and saving themselves money by using it whenever they need a large venue, so your call for it to be moved will likely be ignored. Also, the spot is hardly tight, with many acres of parking whenever I've been there.
cheers,
Rhino