[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#286 Post by Jaymz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:19 pm

I agree with the sentiments above. This is one of the most amateur "artists impressions" i've ever seen. Apart from the missing uni buildings, it also fails to take into account the SAHMRI 2 proposal.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#287 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:03 pm

I'd take that "artist impression" with a grain of salt.

Looks like it's been done up by the Advertiser.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#288 Post by Nathan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 pm

I personally believe that this should set a precedent that all publicly owned buildings should have their name written all the way across the roof. Visitors who fly in over the city will immediately know where everything is, and no need to submit locations to map companies.

:banana:

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#289 Post by Goodsy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 pm

I thought there was suppose to be a 6 star luxury hotel being built on that spot

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#290 Post by Jaymz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 pm
I thought there was suppose to be a 6 star luxury hotel being built on that spot
Another Advertiser pipe dream I think you'll find.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#291 Post by rev » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 pm
That was an idea touted by Hamilton Smith.
I don't think it ever got submitted as a proposal to be built.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#292 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Regardless, the part of the riverbank across from he hospital/medical precinct needs to be really developed. It’s all grass, gum trees and dead space. Hell all along memorial drive after Morphet Rd to Bowden needs some tlc. Could be a great way to connect theninner burbs with the city.

claybro

#293 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm
Regardless, the part of the riverbank across from he hospital/medical precinct needs to be really developed. It’s all grass, gum trees and dead space. Hell all along memorial drive after Morphet Rd to Bowden needs some tlc. Could be a great way to connect theninner burbs with the city.
It will never happen. The parklands people will be apoplectic if so much as an ice cream kiosk was proposed for the northern side of the river west of the bridge.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#294 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Why? Why are hesenaprklands so sacred? I don’t want them developed but they should prodvide suitable connections from the inner suburbs to the city. We don’t have to put housing in them but surely we can put together footpaths, gardens and really lift the experience and feel of them as a whole?

They are just dead patches of grass otherwise.
Sorry I’m getting off topic. But I feel the riverbank edge that is the same side as the hospital needs to seriously be cleaned up and incorporated into the surrounding buildings, rather than just leaving it a tatty over grown mess.

claybro

#295 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm
Why? Why are hesenaprklands so sacred? I don’t want them developed but they should prodvide suitable connections from the inner suburbs to the city. We don’t have to put housing in them but surely we can put together footpaths, gardens and really lift the experience and feel of them as a whole?

They are just dead patches of grass otherwise.
Sorry I’m getting off topic. But I feel the riverbank edge that is the same side as the hospital needs to seriously be cleaned up and incorporated into the surrounding buildings, rather than just leaving it a tatty over grown mess.
Definitely the hospital side of the riverbank should be addressed. This was referring to the Northern bank though. Memorial drive environs being upgraded is one thing, but I don't believe we will ever see development west of the bridge on that side.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#296 Post by rev » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am

Official feasibility study into best location for new Adelaide city-based stadium to remain secret
Andrew Hough, Laul Starick, The Advertiser
October 16, 2018 10:51pm
Subscriber only

Chapman pays taxpayers back for forgettable movie
Anything to declare? Pollies’ wealth, gifts, perks revealed

AN official feasibility study into the best location for a new city-based stadium is to remain secret after the State Government ruled it could not be released.

Using Freedom of Information laws, The Advertiser sought Transport Department documents in March about any upgrades or construction within the CBD, Riverbank, Memorial Drive or Adelaide Oval areas.

But officials refused access to an “Entertainment and Sports Precinct Phase 1” study completed in September last year for the former Labor Cabinet.

An internal review last month, overseen by the department’s acting chief executive Julienne TePohe, upheld that ruling, despite a change of government. An appeal has been made to the State Ombudsman.

Under FoI laws, documents are exempt if papers are either presented to Cabinet or “specifically prepared for submission” even if files were never formally given to ministers to consider.

Upper House MPs are on Wednesday set to vote on FoI reforms proposed by Greens MLC Mark Parnell. The Liberal Government is also reviewing FoI laws.

Mr Parnell said “not disclosing should be the exception rather than the rule”.

In her review decision, dated September 27, Ms TePohe revealed former tourism, sport and recreation minister Leon Bignell requested her department “investigate infrastructure options for the Riverbank Precinct to be presented to Cabinet”. Consultancy firm Aurecon then wrote an “options analysis”. The department said on Tuesday night the briefing document was “tendered to Cabinet and noted” in November last year.

No public announcement about its contents has ever been made nor any further Cabinet debate undertaken. This suggests Labor did not progress the feasibility report. It is believed the study was prepared to counter any Liberal campaign promise, ahead of the March 17 state election, to upgrade the ageing Memorial Drive precinct.

The Advertiser has revealed a business case, commissioned after the election by the government’s Adelaide Venue Management Corporation, has identified two Riverbank area sites for a multipurpose arena.

These include an area west of Adelaide Oval and Montefiore Rd, to the north of the River Torrens. Another site is immediately south of the Torrens, stretching over the Adelaide Railyards. The corporation operates Hindmarsh Stadium, the Adelaide Convention Centre and Entertainment Centre.

One option includes selling off the western suburbs’ Entertainment Centre and Hindmarsh Stadium to partially fund a new city-based arena. The business case has yet to be presented to the Liberal Cabinet as detailed costings and designs are prepared.

A department spokesman refused comment on Tuesday night while Mr Bignell did not return calls.

The Advertiser on Monday reported Ombudsman Wayne Lines calling for Cabinet documents to be released after 30 days, as they are in New Zealand.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 4b27271e9b

horseshit.

Patrick_27

#297 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm

I suspect that the feasibility study didn't favour the Liberal's plan for the area and therefore they'd rather keep it quiet until they can do their own thing.

SBD

#298 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm
I suspect that the feasibility study didn't favour the Liberal's plan for the area and therefore they'd rather keep it quiet until they can do their own thing.
Is even the current Cabinet allowed to see a document that was prepared for the previous Cabinet? If Labor didn't like its content or didn't have to hand it over, maybe Liberal has not seen it either...

ChillyPhilly

[COM] [VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#299 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:14 am

For what it's worth, I got these snaps a week ago.

-

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#300 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:43 pm

There's no doubt that something needs to be done with that side of the tracks, but why can't it be as simple as landscaping an events/recreational park on the site? This has worked for Birrarung Marr in Melbourne on a similar slice of land. Better yet, follow the ACC's vision for the site and build the park over the train tracks. Just because a site is in disrepair doesn't mean it needs to automatically become a commercial property of sorts.