[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#346 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Um, what's the deal with this upgrade? Isn't this supposed to be the plan?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#347 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:27 pm
Um, what's the deal with this upgrade? Isn't this supposed to be the plan?

Even this upgrade would be shit in the grand scheme of things... This was only going to be 8,000-odd capacity and based on projected budget and the appearance of the renders would be done on the cheap.

Not to sound too much like I'm in fantasy land, but our government should be committing at the very least $250m-300m for a new arena with a capacity of at-least 13,000 (if not 14-15,000). Consolidate tennis, basketball, netball and live music into the one facility eliminating the rather uneconomic arrangement we have now where all of these things are unnecessarily spread out in separate arenas. This would ensure that the venue is used all year around, and if there are times when two sporting codes need the venue or there's a music event on and a sporting event is scheduled here; you can move the sporting event to some of the local or regional stadia. Works for Perth with their one area (which might I mention cost them as much as it cost us to upgrade Adelaide Oval...) And as it has already been mentioned both on here and at government level, the upgrade of Memorial Drive could be in-part funded by the sale of what I would call rather value land at Hindmarsh and Mile End.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#348 Post by arki » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:28 pm

Although I called this cheap and tacky yesterday, in light of today's news about us securing a major ATP tournament 12 months from now I can see why this is the only real viable option for updating the facility.

The canopy does look rather large and hopefully can be re-purposed for a proper new indoor venue prior to us inevitably losing this tournament in 5 years time.

Waewick

#349 Post by Waewick » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Wasn't it the 36'rs who didn't want to move?

We talk about grand plans, but the sports need to want them.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#350 Post by floplo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:04 am

btw, has anyone informed the ACC about this?
They, and APPA as well, seem awfully quiet about this parklands construction project....

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#351 Post by Jaymz » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 am

floplo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:04 am
They, and APPA as well, seem awfully quiet about this parklands construction project....
Haha, funny.

You're taking the p#ss. Right?

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#352 Post by floplo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:30 am

Jaymz wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 am
floplo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:04 am
Haha, funny.

You're taking the p#ss. Right?
did I scare you for a second ?.... but yeah, it was absolutely no serious suggestion, just a little dig at the rather disparate reactions...

Though if ACC would be consistent, then they should refer this also for an environmental imapct study, as the visual impact here is probably the same or even more substantial than that of the hotel.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#353 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:14 am

Waewick wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Yeah the 36ers have no desire to move from TSA. Their owners also own the arena, so they don’t want to move into somewhere where they’ll just be another tenant subject to scheduling clashes.

The reason TSA was built in the first place was because the old BASA didn’t want the 36ers sharing an Entertainment Centre with concerts.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#354 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:14 am
Waewick wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Yeah the 36ers have no desire to move from TSA. Their owners also own the arena, so they don’t want to move into somewhere where they’ll just be another tenant subject to scheduling clashes.

The reason TSA was built in the first place was because the old BASA didn’t want the 36ers sharing an Entertainment Centre with concerts.
The 36ers do want to move, and don't own their stadium - Titanium Security Arena is jointly owned by Scouts SA and SA Church Basketball, and operated on their behalf by Arena Stadium Management. Neither has any interest in the sort of updates or renovations Grant Kelley is after. A move to a Memorial Drive for the 36ers was the point behind the discussions over the AFC buying half of the 36ers, but that must have fallen through in a big way, because it just vanished without a trace.

Also hi, long time reader (like, on and off for 15 years), first time poster
Last edited by NTRabbit on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krint
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#355 Post by Krint » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:25 am

Have heard the rumour that the 36ers are looking at moving to the entertainment centre .

The clear canopy roof upgrade of memorial drive is not suited for basketball, can’t see the 36ers playing a game there unless the arena is fully enclosed with a retractable roof.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#356 Post by ml69 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:39 pm

arki wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:28 pm
Although I called this cheap and tacky yesterday, in light of today's news about us securing a major ATP tournament 12 months from now I can see why this is the only real viable option for updating the facility.

The canopy does look rather large and hopefully can be re-purposed for a proper new indoor venue prior to us inevitably losing this tournament in 5 years time.
I think you’re right, the first ATP/WTA tournament is less than 12 months away so they just had to do the canopy only to secure the event.

I’d hope that in 5 years time, we’d complete the build of a fantastic 12,000 seat multipurpose arena on the Memorial Drive site (possibly as a Comm Games venue if that came to fruition in 2026).

This would arguably make Memorial Drive the second best tennis venue in Australia, behind Melbourne Park. We could then use the new arena to perhaps even secure a group round of the ATP World Team Cup in addition to a long-term extension of the ATP/WTA tournament. That would be a great vision for tennis in SA!

In order to do this, perhaps we would have to use the Entertainment Centre for the ATP/WTA tournament for a couple of years whilst Memorial Drive is rebuilt. Also, Next Generation gym and the indoor cricket centre would have to be relocated.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#357 Post by omada » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 am

I think the update is realistic at this point, given the timeframes for the ATP event next year. $10 million well spent, the courts etc have already been upgraded. Perhaps future upgrades would make this court a secondary arena with a larger court elsewhere if there is room?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#358 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:22 am

ml69 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:39 pm
arki wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:28 pm

I think you’re right, the first ATP/WTA tournament is less than 12 months away so they just had to do the canopy only to secure the event.

I’d hope that in 5 years time, we’d complete the build of a fantastic 12,000 seat multipurpose arena on the Memorial Drive site (possibly as a Comm Games venue if that came to fruition in 2026).

This would arguably make Memorial Drive the second best tennis venue in Australia, behind Melbourne Park. We could then use the new arena to perhaps even secure a group round of the ATP World Team Cup in addition to a long-term extension of the ATP/WTA tournament. That would be a great vision for tennis in SA!

In order to do this, perhaps we would have to use the Entertainment Centre for the ATP/WTA tournament for a couple of years whilst Memorial Drive is rebuilt. Also, Next Generation gym and the indoor cricket centre would have to be relocated.
The Entertainment Centre could host either the ATP or WTA event but not both - as you'd need a couple of courts to get through all the matches for a combined event. You could, however, use the Entertainment Centre as a Centre Court, and then use somewhere like Coopers Stadium for secondary courts.

Having said that, you could rebuild Memorial Drive in stages so that it can still host matches - it doesn't need to be an over engineered mess like RAC Arena was in Perth.

Algernon

#359 Post by Algernon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:17 pm

arki wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:56 am
Memorial Drive stadium to receive new roof in $10 million upgrade
Memorial Drive Tennis Centre will be covered with a new roof as part of a $10 million upgrade that will boost its chances of hosting more international events.

The 5000-capacity venue – which today hosts the Davis Cup tie between Australia and Bosnia/Herzegovina – will be covered by a canopy by the end of the year, according to the State Government.

The upgrade will allow year-round use of Memorial Drive, including for concerts, community events and other sports, such as netball and basketball.

Sports Minister Corey Wingard said the roof would turn Memorial Drive into a “live-site”, capable of screening sports matches played at neighbouring Adelaide Oval.

“The roof will also allow for the year-round training of the state’s tennis talent and for use by community groups who are able to access Memorial Drive,” Mr Wingard said yesterday.

The canopy will be fully funded by taxpayers. Cox Architecture, which was behind Adelaide Oval’s redevelopment, has produced designs for the upgrade.

The proposed canopy over Memorial Drive.

Memorial Drive Tennis Club as it stands now. Picture: Scott Barbour/Getty Images
A Government spokesman said a construction tender would be put out immediately, with work to start as early as next month.

The project will create the first covered tennis courts in Adelaide.

The State Government would not comment on whether the redevelopment would lead to South Australia landing the rights to host a major international tennis tournament next year.

The global tennis calendar has recently undergone a wholesale shake-up, with Sydney set to host a new 24-nation tournament – the ATP Cup – in January 2020.

That provides an opportunity for Adelaide to take over the Sydney International tournament. Alternatively, South Australia might host a leg of the ATP Cup.

However, the revamped Memorial Drive would likely compete against Western Australia and its 14,800-capacity Perth Arena for one or both of those events.

In order to attract a major tournament, Memorial Drive would be required to host up to 500 tennis officials, players and their entourages.

Premier Steven Marshall said yesterday the upgrade would increase Adelaide’s chances of securing major tournaments.

“This significant investment serves up an ace for Adelaide and South Australia,’’ Mr Marshall said.

“Not only will it advantage our growing $6.9 billion visitor economy and create jobs, it will put Memorial Drive firmly in the box seat to attract future world-class events.

“My Government is committed to investing in infrastructure projects that stimulate the economy, grow local jobs and leave a positive legacy for future generations.”

John Millman during the Davis Cup qualifiers on Friday. Picture: Scott Barbour/Getty Images
Australia’s Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt last year argued for a major upgrade of Memorial Drive to propel Adelaide back on to the world tennis stage.

Adelaide has a proud history of producing top tennis players and coaches, including Hewitt, Darren Cahill, John Fitzgerald and doubles king Mark Woodforde. Woodforde said losing the long-running Adelaide International tournament to Brisbane (and its purpose-built Tennyson Tennis Centre) in 2009 left him in a state of despair.

“For me, it was about trying to maintain the bloodline in SA because SA had contributed so much to Australian tennis history,” Woodforde said.

“I would like to believe there is a connection to having the tournament (and developing talent).

“SA was going to go back to the dark ages again, being a second-class player-producing mill.

“I wanted to keep tennis alive in our state, we fought for so long to be known as a tennis-producing state.

“I didn’t want that to disappear. I still don’t.”

Last year, the Federal Government funded a $10 million revamp of tennis facilities at Next Gen Health Club, next to Memorial Drive.

That included a sunken court that can accommodate 500 spectators and double as a training/show court for events at Memorial Drive.

It also included 36 new or upgraded courts and a clay court centre of excellence.

The NSW Government last month announced a $50 million upgrade of the Ken Rosewall Arena, which was pivotal to Sydney being granted the rights for the ATP Cup. That project will also include a canopy over the arena.

Cheap and tacky.

I guess this means the new venue won't be happening for at least another decade.
Advertiser taking the piss? They say 5,000 capacity venue as if you can have 5,000 people watching a tennis match. At best it's a white lie. All the seats face forward and are oriented toward multiple courts. Only a quarter of the seats in the stands align with a single court, everyone else would need to twist their head violently to be counted.

SBD

#360 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Algernon wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:17 pm
arki wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:56 am
Memorial Drive stadium to receive new roof in $10 million upgrade
Memorial Drive Tennis Centre will be covered with a new roof as part of a $10 million upgrade that will boost its chances of hosting more international events.

The 5000-capacity venue – which today hosts the Davis Cup tie between Australia and Bosnia/Herzegovina – will be covered by a canopy by the end of the year, according to the State Government.

The upgrade will allow year-round use of Memorial Drive, including for concerts, community events and other sports, such as netball and basketball.

That included a sunken court that can accommodate 500 spectators and double as a training/show court for events at Memorial Drive.

It also included 36 new or upgraded courts and a clay court centre of excellence.

Cheap and tacky.

I guess this means the new venue won't be happening for at least another decade.
Advertiser taking the piss? They say 5,000 capacity venue as if you can have 5,000 people watching a tennis match. At best it's a white lie. All the seats face forward and are oriented toward multiple courts. Only a quarter of the seats in the stands align with a single court, everyone else would need to twist their head violently to be counted.
How many courts would be on that blue bit in front of the stands in the picture?

If it is big enough to play (any kind of) football, or any other sport that uses a field larger than a single tennis court, then all of the stands would be considered to be suitable for watching the play, even if most of it was narrowed down to being in a tennis-court-sized piece of the field.